Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HO vs non-HO MPG

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I can create photos like that while rolling downhill after resetting my MPGs so my "Unicorn" can show 20+mpg while making no boost as well. LOL!! It is shocking the amount of Mis-Information on forums but such has been the case since AOL said, "You've Got Mail!"
Please enlighten us with quotes and the correct information.

Sent from my work avoidance device

GPurcell01

Reaction score
So what to do moving forward...? I am deleting the truck this week. Installing the Banks 4" intake and going to see what this truck can do working hard without the limitations of the BS installed upon it. If that doesn't help, I will pull the engine and install the non-HO pistons with head studs, re-tune it and get the power it should have at cruise.

Hope this long post helps those see the miles matter... even if you do not drive like I do, they matter in the long run.

Dude if it bothers you that much just trade it in for a SO truck. After doing all that work - parts and labor will still have you in the hole for more than those oh so terrible fuel costs...

New truck would come with the SO cam free of charge*

Reaction score
Dude if it bothers you that much just trade it in for a SO truck. After doing all that work - parts and labor will still have you in the hole for more than those oh so terrible fuel costs...

New truck would come with the SO cam free of charge*
You guys are hysterical with your Camshaft needs...

So by your logic, I could trade for a SO truck and then have to spend the money for upgrading the 68RFE, which will cost far more than just deleting the BS and increasing the power/efficiency these trucks should have from the beginning. RAM should offer the Allison as ATS now has the new case to make it fit properly. I will probably do that with the 2015 2500 Laramie Longhorn I just bought and deleted this past week.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
You guys are hysterical with your Camshaft needs...

So by your logic, I could trade for a SO truck and then have to spend the money for upgrading the 68RFE, which will cost far more than just deleting the BS and increasing the power/efficiency these trucks should have from the beginning. RAM should offer the Allison as ATS now has the new case to make it fit properly. I will probably do that with the 2015 2500 Laramie Longhorn I just bought and deleted this past week.
You want to turn HO into SO, but then you would also turn SO into HO. Did I get it right?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I can create photos like that while rolling downhill after resetting my MPGs so my "Unicorn" can show 20+mpg while making no boost as well. LOL!! It is shocking the amount of Mis-Information on forums but such has been the case since AOL said, "You've Got Mail!"

Cruising at 8K elevation.

Not going downhill.

This is "in the boost?"

For that matter, what on earth makes anyone think boost decreases fuel mileage when a modern efficient turbo increases MPG?

Of course, pulling a load and adding fuel and higher boost is going to affect MPG, but the point was made that the truck is worse unloaded because "boost."

SMH.
20211117_140501.jpg

Nd79

Reaction score
Since it's being talked about somewhat, would the cab and chassis trucks provide something similar to a SO Cummins mated to an Aisin trans? I know the cab and chassis are de-rated but I don't know how exactly that works.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Good question.
But my guess would be it's a derated HO.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

19 2500 limited

Reaction score

Not going downhill.

This is "in the boost?"

For that matter, what on earth makes anyone think boost decreases fuel mileage when a modern efficient turbo increases MPG?

Of course, pulling a load and adding fuel and higher boost is going to affect MPG, but the point was made that the truck is worse unloaded because "boost."

SMH.

Not going downhill.

This is "in the boost?"

SMH.
View attachment 26246

is yours an HO? 571 to empty with the stock 31 gallon tank on full?, if so that is great!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
is yours an HO? 571 to empty with the stock 31 gallon tank on full?, if so that is great!

HO.

50 gal tank and I was using 4x4 and hunting the last 5 days so DTE is wonky for sure. I think tank was down 1/8 or so as I had just filled early that morning and that was at day's end (that day mostly road scouting). It was showing 675 DTE after the morning fill, after 5 days hunting and getting terrible off road MPG.

Nd79

Reaction score
So I just hand calculated my milage today on a tank of fuel with no towing miles/ truck unladen, as I'm in my off season for work. Mix of highway/city driving.

EVIC showed way worse milage because it just completed a Regen before fueling up, plus I had been taking the kids to school here and there with the truck.

I think these Cummins diesels are extremely efficient for how capable they are! HO or SO they are both great and you just pick whatever flavor fits you best. Anything between 15-20 mpg is awesome in trucks this capable. I always laugh at the fact that our new Ram 3500 is our second most fuel efficient vehicle, only behind our little Toyota Corolla.

Hand calculated I came out to 20.4 for this half tank of fuel.

Attachments

• PXL_20220113_160321399.jpg
    PXL_20220113_160321399.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20220113_154340372.jpg
    PXL_20220113_154340372.jpg
    700.7 KB · Views: 36

jeffn

Reaction score
my 3500 DRW with HO and 4.10 gears is never going to see that number. Mileage is going to be over a wide range depending on configuration. I just came back from Florida and 300 gallons of diesel tells me I was getting 10mpg while towing an empty enclosed trailer under the speed limit most of the time.

Cpsram21

Reaction score
So I just hand calculated my milage today on a tank of fuel with no towing miles/ truck unladen, as I'm in my off season for work. Mix of highway/city driving.

EVIC showed way worse milage because it just completed a Regen before fueling up, plus I had been taking the kids to school here and there with the truck.

I think these Cummins diesels are extremely efficient for how capable they are! HO or SO they are both great and you just pick whatever flavor fits you best. Anything between 15-20 mpg is awesome in trucks this capable. I always laugh at the fact that our new Ram 3500 is our second most fuel efficient vehicle, only behind our little Toyota Corolla.

Yep your doing a lot better then my 21 H.O. 3500 ! Mostly city with some highway empty no towing I'm averaging 14.6 hand calculated. But as much as I wish it would get 20mpg I don't drive it a ton and being able to tow anything I want is good enough for me .

jkempken

Reaction score

I wish I could get that good of fuel economy, but I didn't buy the truck for MPG's. I average around 14-15 Hand calculated with my mixed driving on my 2020 SO. Right around 8- 9 MPG pulling my enclosed trailer at 80. But more importantly where is the diesel price $2.90, everywhere around me its right around $3.50

Nd79

Reaction score
my 3500 DRW with HO and 4.10 gears is never going to see that number. Mileage is going to be over a wide range depending on configuration. I just came back from Florida and 300 gallons of diesel tells me I was getting 10mpg while towing an empty enclosed trailer under the speed limit most of the time.
Yep, any time I hook up my trailer mileage cuts in half! Even empty (4.5k)

Nd79

Reaction score
I wish I could get that good of fuel economy, but I didn't buy the truck for MPG's. I average around 14-15 Hand calculated with my mixed driving on my 2020 SO. Right around 8- 9 MPG pulling my enclosed trailer at 80. But more importantly where is the diesel price $2.90, everywhere around me its right around $3.50
Ha I'm in Colorado and it's the gas station I always hit while I'm working the truck. I usually burn a whole tank in a day when it's busy, so I keep my eyes open and this station is consistently 10-30 and sometimes even 40 cents cheaper than all the surrounding stations. The down side is, it's a relatively small shell station and it's always full of full size (tandem/semi) trucks and guys filling their fuel cells. I've learned to stop in after the morning rush, or before the afternoon rush lol.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Yep, any time I hook up my trailer mileage cuts in half! Even empty (4.5k)

That's been my experience as well. Empty, my HO/4.10/DRW will get 17 on a good day hand calc'd to a tank. Towing our 14k lb 5er loaded it will get 8.5-9..... about half of what it does empty.

GBB

Reaction score
I been telling you guys it has something to do when you plug that trailer cord into your truck! Mine does same thing when I plug it in…mileage goes to hell.

Wolfcreek

Reaction score
I’m in a ‘22 DRW 3500 HO w 373s and I don’t know if I can afford to keep it. Only 1500 miles on it and I’m averaging 13.5 by the display and hand calculated I’m getting 11.5. That’s mixed driving with maybe 60 miles towing. I know these are big powerful trucks but that’s way less than my ‘17 with the same setup. I talked to my dealer thinking something is wrong and he just dismissed it as normal…. Not good with fuel at $4 per gallon!

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
what is "way less" than your '17? you have 37's on a 1 ton truck. I'd expect 11 to 13.

Users who are viewing this thread