Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

Wayne007

Reaction score
Yes but didn't Ram basically admit there was a problem by not only revising the CP4, but then ditching it altogether? Hopefully we'll come out on the right side of this.

mcspeed

Reaction score
Its ok he may switch back when the 10 speed “alison” leaves him on the side of the road

You won’t find me on a thread complaining about my GMC. If it makes you feel better to talk smack about my truck feel free….I’m entertained by it!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You won’t find me on a thread complaining about my GMC. If it makes you feel better to talk smack about my truck feel free….I’m entertained by it!
If you dont have a ram why are you here?

And im not making fun but simply stating a fact, the 10 Speed Allison is a massive turd that is prone to major internal failure

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
In for one of someone builds it.

"If you build it they will come."

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
The guy that builds the bypasss kits for Ford killed his project to offer the RAM kit.

I believe the CP3 retrofit kits currently offered by S&S and Industrial Injection were part of that decision.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ramcares replied to an earlier PM I sent requesting an update basically stating they are currently unable to share any information but will do so once (implying if) it becomes publicly available.

I wouldn't expect to see anything here before the NHTSA investigation results are announced to the world.

UglyViking

Reaction score
@Brutal_HO I expected the same. As soon as I saw the news from AP I knew it was gonna be a while. I'm curious what happened that lead to this investigation. It seems like odd timing that FCA was just about to announce something then 2 weeks later NHTSA opens an investigation? Odd.

The most important thing I pulled from that report thought was this:
In November 2019, FCA issued Warranty Bulletin D-19-02 (subsequently revised six times) to announce to its dealers a "Fast Feedback Program" wherein they were notified of a campaign to 'collect, monitor and correct quality issues' on certain MY 2018-2020 Ram trucks equipped with the 6.7L Cummins engine.
It seems sort of insane that it took close to 2 years to get feedback on the issues these pumps had. I had just recently scrolled through a seemingly similar issue that hit VW back in 2011. In a report to NHTSA it looks as if a lot of users with diesel vehicles were putting gas into their cars, thus resulting in similar issues with lack of lubricity with the pump. This is obviously not a 1:1 but I feel for what ever engineer came up with this pump design, probably won't be working in the engineering world much longer if they still are.

Keeping my fingers crossed we hear news soon but at this point I'm still leaning to taking it into my own hands this black friday if there are any sales. I've given FCA long enough to make it right, hopefully there will be an option to get a check cut to you similar to the drag link issue.

diablo82

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see the actual number of failed pump that FCA ever record in their book and what is the failing percentage that triggered the 2021+ pump update.

Papa_smurf

Reaction score
Guys, I wanted to take a second and say thanks to the forum for putting all of this information out on display. I was looking hard at used 19 & 20 rams until I saw this issue posted here. I wasn't aware that they were using CP4 pumps at all until browsing this site. I held off and got a decent deal on my 22, with the new pump because of all the information posted here. I feel for you guys with the 19s & 20s, and hope RAM makes it right for you in the long term. I don't understand why they went with the CP4 when Ford and GM has had a ton of issues with them.

Honestly though, up to this point I feel like the response from RAM & Cummins to switch to the revised cp3 (CP-######) has been better than that of Ford and GM. Ford is still using the CP4, and GM ran an entire generation with their LML Duramax using the CP4. While the pumps can fail at low or high mileage and are a ticking time bomb, I feel like Ram acted pretty quickly to only have 2 model years affected. They have implemented a fix for 21's and later, but tat doesn't help the 2 model years affected. Like I said above, I hope they make it right for you guys that bought 19s & 20s.

KBob

Reaction score
My takeaway from the investigation is, If you have had a pump fail, or know somone who has had one fail tell them to.... Report It To NHTSA. Otherwise we will be depending on FCA to report an actual number of failuars.

Last edited:

Dirtbiker70X

Reaction score
You can also file a complaint on the NTSB website even if you have not had a failure. If you own a 19 or 20, please do so if you have not yet!! I am hopeful Ram will take care of us eventually, I love my truck! If not, a Freightliner M2 106 Sportchassis with a Pre DEF CAT 7.2L or Cummins 8.3L /Allison 3060 will be my CP4 fix!!

Last edited:

thrust

Reaction score
You can also file a complaint on the NTSB website even if you have not had a failure. If you own a 19 or 20, please do so if you have not yet!! I am hopeful Ram will take care of us eventually, I love my truck! If not, a Freightliner M2 106 Sportchassis with a Pre DEF CAT 7.2L or Cummins 8.3L /Allison 3060 will be my CP4 fix!!

More info, please.

I'll fill out a complaint about this nonsense. I cannot drive the truck in the manner intended since the failures happen randomly, without warning, and in a way that can threaten the safety of my family and others on the road.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
One of those 22 complaints is from me and I’ve never had a failure yet. Take the time and make a complaint or get off this page and quit trolling
Thats gonna hurt the investigation if they look in to it and see its a lie…

UglyViking

Reaction score
I don't think it's smart to lie on that form, however the NHTSA isn't just gonna look at that list and call it a day. They are going to ask for data on every failed CP4 to gather numbers, outcomes, etc.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don't think it's smart to lie on that form, however the NHTSA isn't just gonna look at that list and call it a day. They are going to ask for data on every failed CP4 to gather numbers, outcomes, etc.
The NHTSA reports will most likely be disregarded unless someone has been killed they will be looking at rams records mainly i would imagine

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that there's an investigation, and NHTSA knows RAM had a rapid response program, they will be forced to show the records of failures.

Serious Injury or loss of life isn't going to be the sole determining factor on any recall. If there's a potential for the same, it could force RAM's hand for either a voluntary or mandatory recall.

One would hope Cummins has some say in this as their reputation, regardless of who designated the pump to use, is also at risk to some degree.

I also wouldn't discount that internet forum threads about the CP4 could be in play. It was a hard decision to (temporarily) lock that big thread but it was just too out of control to moderate.

There comes a point in every thread wherein no new information is presented, where all meaningful discussion has ceased, and the various sides of the discussion have either made their case or chosen to abstain; it is at that point that the thread should be closed. The thread in question, IMHO, reached that point early on, and the fact that it was permitted to go on beyond that point should be viewed as an indication that the members of this community are valued well beyond the worth of the thread's content. When the dust settles, the thread may be unlocked. We'll see.

Bocephus

Reaction score
If you read the complaints and read mine you would see that I state my cp4 has never failed, but went on about the quick changes to the pump because of failure and my concerns about safety. Your pretty quit to calling someone a LIAR, but I expect nothing less from you Canada

BigWorm

Reaction score
Serious Injury or loss of life isn't going to be the sole determining factor on any recall. If there's a potential for the same, it could force RAM's hand for either a voluntary or mandatory recall.
I agree. I haven't heard of any injuries but the possibility, albeit minimal, still exists. I think it will boil down to what the NHTSA considers to be an acceptable failure rate.

Users who are viewing this thread