Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titan Fuel Tank.... For a HEMI!

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
I've only found that to be for a diesel truck, so far not for the gas engine. No matter how many times I worked the build your ram site I soon as I click on the larger tank it switches me to the diesel engine. Grrrrrr
I've consistently built a 2500/3500 hemi 8ft bed with a 50 gal. The dealer just sent me a build sheet I'm about to order with the 50 ga.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Payl
One of the big reasons I dumped my PW. The range with that tank is abysmal. Got tired of stopping for gas 3 times a week. I don't understand the logic behind not putting a bigger tank in there?

Payload??
Payload calculations include a full tank of fuel. If your tank is larger, it will take away from payload and it's (payload) already dismal on PW.

wjcook68

Reaction score
Just confirming the above. I have a 2020 2500 CC LB and have the 50 gallon tank from the factory.

el_barto

Reaction score
TransferFlow makes large replacement fuel tanks for a few gas trucks.... maybe if enough people email them with interest they will make one for the Rams?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
TransferFlow makes large replacement fuel tanks for a few gas trucks.... maybe if enough people email them with interest they will make one for the Rams?

I mentioned this earlier in the thread... doesn't hurt to have lots people go and make a suggestion...

So, I'm guessing Titan is out...

I did see that TransferFlow has a Suggest New Product page... I sent them a note, maybe if they get enough intertest, it could happen...

FLTrucks

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2020 CCSB Ram 2500 Tradesman with a Hemi. Traded in my 2019 Laramie mega with the Cummins. I was beating it up too hard at work and felt I was wasting money. I love this truck, with one exception: the 31 gallon fuel tank. I average 13 or so MPG on the highway and 10 or less city and on the jobsite. While I am not complaining about the fuel economy, I AM complaining about the range, or lack thereof. I know that Titan tanks are listed as "Diesel Fuel Only". My thought is what is the difference in safety between installing a 50 gallon tank vs using a 31 gallon tank and carrying another 10-20 in the bed??

So... after all that... if I were to buy a Titan tank and install it, what would keep me from getting it to work with gasoline? Fuel lines? Vents? I also understand assuming the risks myself since Titan says they are not for gasoline.

I did do the search and most of what I found was guys giving up on it since they have a gas powered truck.

Thanks for the help!
Unfortunately with a gas-powered truck, an extra capacity tank is very limited. The EPA/government has regulations which make it virtually impossible to do replacement or auxiliary tanks for gasoline. The gasoline tank is considered to be part of the EVAP system which is illegal to alter or tamper with in any way. What they do allow are transfer tanks between 10 and 15 gallons like the SideKick tank. Here is a link to it

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Unfortunately with a gas-powered truck, an extra capacity tank is very limited. The EPA/government has regulations which make it virtually impossible to do replacement or auxiliary tanks for gasoline. The gasoline tank is considered to be part of the EVAP system which is illegal to alter or tamper with in any way. What they do allow are transfer tanks between 10 and 15 gallons like the SideKick tank. Here is a link to it

And yet, TransferFlow can make larger replacement gasoline tanks for Ford and Toyota...
Seems to be more of 'they can't be bothered' than anything else...

Toyota Replacement Tank
Ford Replacement Fuel Tank

MtnRider

Reaction score
And yet, TransferFlow can make larger replacement gasoline tanks for Ford and Toyota...
Seems to be more of 'they can't be bothered' than anything else...

Toyota Replacement Tank
Ford Replacement Fuel Tank

Both 1/2 tons and nothing for HD trucks though. Also those were both available from the factory with a larger 36/38 gallon tank so maybe the evap system was capable of working with a slightly larger tank and they were able to get approval on it? And there are probably 10 times the number F150's on the road then ram 1500's so a much larger market segment.

At the end of the day it's all about money. If no one feels the investment is worth the return they are not going to pursue it (rightfully so).

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Both 1/2 tons and nothing for HD trucks though. Also those were both available from the factory with a larger 36/38 gallon tank so maybe the evap system was capable of working with a slightly larger tank and they were able to get approval on it? And there are probably 10 times the number F150's on the road then ram 1500's so a much larger market segment.

At the end of the day it's all about money. If no one feels the investment is worth the return they are not going to pursue it (rightfully so).

No idea about the larger factory tank being an option, but yes... companies are out to make money.
If they figure a low ROI then they certainly won't bother.. which I think has more to do with it than EVAP system (but I'm a car tech so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

MtnRider

Reaction score
No idea about the larger factory tank being an option, but yes... companies are out to make money.
If they figure a low ROI then they certainly won't bother.. which I think has more to do with it than EVAP system (but I'm a car tech so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Yeah, Unfortunately I believe the CARB (kalifornia) EPA certification they have to get is very expensive (10's of thousands of $) and it really puts a dent on trying to bring a small volume product to market and still make a profit on it.

dablack21

Reaction score
I sent a message to Titan, but it will probably fall on deaf ears. At this point, there is no way to get a larger tank on the CCSB trucks. Carrying around jerry cans or something similar defeats the purpose, since the purpose was to be able to drive further without stopping. Maybe when it's time to retire this truck, I'll get a long bed

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I sent a message to Titan, but it will probably fall on deaf ears. At this point, there is no way to get a larger tank on the CCSB trucks. Carrying around jerry cans or something similar defeats the purpose, since the purpose was to be able to drive further without stopping. Maybe when it's time to retire this truck, I'll get a long bed

I've sent several to Transferflow as well... though I hate to lose the space, a tank in the bed with a top mounted electric pump may have to happen.

Yeah, Unfortunately I believe the CARB (kalifornia) EPA certification they have to get is very expensive (10's of thousands of $) and it really puts a dent on trying to bring a small volume product to market and still make a profit on it.

There are 49 other states... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dablack21

Reaction score
This is the reply I got from Titan this morning. Again, stopping to refill from gas cans defeats the purpose of having a larger fuel tank. If I am going to stop, it won't be on the road to refill from a gas can, I'll just stop at a gas station instead. I don't do excursions or trail riding, I just need more range from my fuel tank so I can stop less.

Attachments

• Response.jpg
    Response.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 110

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
But the EPA follows Kalifornia's lead and uses CARB as their template so it now applies across the nation.

Yeah, that's quite the statement...EPA is still less strict than CARB, and from what I can see 13 other states have adopted CARB standards.

I stand by my (modified) original statement... There are 36 other states...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tla90

Reaction score
Unfortunately with a gas-powered truck, an extra capacity tank is very limited. The EPA/government has regulations which make it virtually impossible to do replacement or auxiliary tanks for gasoline. The gasoline tank is considered to be part of the EVAP system which is illegal to alter or tamper with in any way. What they do allow are transfer tanks between 10 and 15 gallons like the SideKick tank.
You can get a 50gal tank on a 3500 LB Hemi. Get the Titan 52gal tank, adapt the filler neck to work, and run with it. If there is an EVAP issue, then there might be a canister difference. Look up part numbers for the SB and LB, and figure out what is different. Change those parts.

Someone needs to just break down and buy the thing. I had an aftermarket 55gal tank on my gas 2500HD. Had to make sure venting was very good and make the filler neck work. Ran with it for 7.5 years. It threw an EVAP code once or twice a year. I plugged in the scanner, cleared it, and went until it came back.

I am going to do it when my '22 comes in, but yall are gonna be waiting a while for that.

Users who are viewing this thread