Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your gun is poop

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
The muzzle thread on my AR-9 is indeed 1/2”x28 so I go back to my original question. I need the bushing for 5/8”x24. Are all bushings created equal or should I get one of the more expensive ones. Thanks
What can? Does it have replaceable back caps? It would be better to change out the direct thread back cap on the can rather than run a thread adapter.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I’ve always heard there is no such thing as a drop in part for a 1911.
Yea, I knew I'd have to fit it to the trigger bow. But thru all my searching, everyone says it's a drop in otherwise. Could not find anyone with my issues.
Contacted Wilson and all I got was we can send you another one, or charge you a 10% restocking fee to return it. AND I pay for all shipping, again.
So I decided to try my hand at gunsmithing.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Thanknyi
I'd not buy any chicom part, their threads are horrid and you run a higher risk of misalignment which could mean a baffle or endcap strike.

Any 1/2x28-5/8x24 adapter that fits your need and budget from a reputable e-tailer or local gunstore.

Here's 2 good options that won't add any real length and are reputable:

$30 is nothing for an expensive can.

Other than those I listed,

JoeBobOutfitters
Brownells
Midway

Forgot to ask, are you putting a rifle can on, or a pistol can? A pistol can would typically use a fixed barrel spacer in the thread size you need without an adapter.
Thank you. It is a rifle can. Going to see how I like it then probably order a smaller pistol can.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea, I knew I'd have to fit it to the trigger bow. But thru all my searching, everyone says it's a drop in otherwise. Could not find anyone with my issues.
Contacted Wilson and all I got was we can send you another one, or charge you a 10% restocking fee to return it. AND I pay for all shipping, again.
So I decided to try my hand at gunsmithing.

I've a few "drop-in" parts on my SA Loaded. Only one I had to tune was the replacement thread barrel. Pretty rare one of those would drop in without proper fitting. One might THINK it fits but there's more to it than that.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
FYI, I don't see any or think he does any small thread adapters, primarily does can adapters, but if you want to support a small business that does world renowned and unparalleled precision work, check out ECCO Machine.

Nick is known for his (mostly) AAC can conversions (I've had him do 2) and since he's local, it's a lot more convenient. I'm considering buying 1 or 2 of his in house cans. Cool thing is I can take a gun out there and try one out.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
FYI, I don't see any or think he does any small thread adapters, primarily does can adapters, but if you want to support a small business that does world renowned and unparalleled precision work, check out ECCO Machine.

Nick is known for his (mostly) AAC can conversions (I've had him do 2) and since he's local, it's a lot more convenient. I'm considering buying 1 or 2 of his in house cans. Cool thing is I can take a gun out there and try one out.
Looks like good prices also. Email sent.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I've a few "drop-in" parts on my SA Loaded. Only one I had to tune was the replacement thread barrel. Pretty rare one of those would drop in without proper fitting. One might THINK it fits but there's more to it than that.
Everything I read on line, or videos I saw on YouTube said it was drop in, just minor filing to get the safety to trigger interface correct.
But it was way more than that for me. And I didn't want to modify the gun I just got. Has a lot of sentimental value to me. So modifying the grip safety was the only option for me. That way I can put the original grip safety back in if need be.

2001WS6

Reaction score
Finally mated my Gemtech to my HK.

ppZGkQg.jpg

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Picked this up yesterday from a Cousin. He needed some quick cash.
He found it brand new, in the box, never fired, at a local pawn shop.
Got a good deal on it. Put 35 rounds thru it this morning to check it out. Nice and smooth, but needs a few 100 rounds thru it to work it in.
1000009142.jpg1000009141.jpg1000009130.jpg1000009131.jpg

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Nice one crusty!

I love smiths. Lately been a fan of this little guy for totin’. He’s all metal, 12 round capacity, 19oz. This one has a pretty good trigger, YouTubers seem to hate the trigger.

Sort of a 1911 manual of arms. Think “sig 938” or “micro 9” but 12 round.

IMG_4577.jpeg

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Got a Lee's gunslinger spring kit for my lever action and Single Action Army.

SAA doesn't seem any different. Might try a little polishing on the sear as it's seems a bit stiff.

Lever action works a lot smother and easier. But the trigger may be too light. Almost hair trigger.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
.223/5.56, .38/.357, 9mm, .44 mag, .40 S&W, 45 ACP, .308.

We shoot about 300 rounds every time we go out. So about 2100 rounds a year. Probably shoot more if we are loading our own and saving a little money.

1000 rounds of .357 mag is $600 at the local gun show. I can make them for $400.

There are 5 in our group who shoot on a regular basis. And a few friends that come along from time to time.
Me, my wife's Cousin, his 2 sons, and one of their friends.

Last edited:

waveslayer

Reaction score
.223/5.56, .38/.357, 9mm, .44 mag, .40 S&W, 45 ACP, .308.

We shoot about 300 rounds every time we go out. So about 2100 rounds a year. Probably shoot more if we are loading our own and saving a little money.

1000 rounds of .357 mag is $600 at the local gun show. I can make them for $400.

There are 5 in our group who shoot on a regular basis. And a few friends that come along from time to time.
Me, my wife's Cousin, his 2 sons, and one of their friends.
You should look at a progressive press if it's not too late. That way you can knock out about a 1,000 round an hour. Good luck and have fun!!!

Users who are viewing this thread