Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Ram?

batman900

Reaction score
This is my first RAM and I have been impressed. I was Toyota brand loyal for a long time but the new 3rd gen Tundra was a pos and I dumped it after a month. Me and my son did a round trip to NM a few weeks ago, the longest I've driven in a single day. 9 hours with 1 stop for fuel and bathroom each direction. We were never uncomfortable and knock on wood I haven't had any issues. I also think this thing looks great and everything about it feels substantial.

I don't think Ford's look very good and GM quality is just poo IMO. Ford would be my next go-to but I'd have to spec it very specifically to be content with the appearance.

MarkCO1

Reaction score
I've driven 1/2 ton Chevys for years, and so did my Dad. In 2011, we went to the Stock Show and wife fell in love with the 2011 1500 Longhorn. We ordered it and then put 180K on it. Traded it in on the 2500 Ram. I felt for years, that Dodge lagged behind Chevy and Ford in terms of comfort and reliability. But for many years, having a 1500 Chevy and Ram, the Ram pulled better, was more reliable. I still think the LS motor is one of, if not the best lines there is. All that said, Ram has really increased reliability and comfort, and frankly, I feel overall beats Chevy and Ford in that area for the last 10 years or so. With the essentially 4 link rear and solid front axle, again, Ram is the better choice for towing.

Clarence007

Reaction score
I am a long time GM/Chevy fan. In the one ton category they ride better, turn sharper, are quieter and have the Alison Tranny. But when I decided to buy new in 2022, the Ram Limited was much more appealing. The The GM's and Chevy's went to really ugly grills and their interiors in the top of the line were plain and uncomfortable. Ram really improved the grill and overall look in the past few years and Cummins quietened their Diesel so that it doesn't sound like a tractor anymore. Fords are still extremely ugly on the interior and exterior IMO. :)

Dave01

Reaction score
I was looking at GM diesels, had a bunch of GM trucks, but then test drove a few Ram's and was quickly sold. I love the interior compared to the others, really like having the 6'4" bed but with a shorter truck overall by quite a bit. Intended to go diesel but after test driving a 6.4 decided to go gas, first gas truck and am glad I went this direction. I've had more compliments on this truck, outside looks, inside comfort, and driving smoothness, than any other I've ever been in.

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
I'm 46 now and I've owned GM half tons since I was 20. About 6-7 different GM trucks that were mostly pretty good. Swore I would be a GM guy for life. Then the 2018-19 styling refresh came around and I just could not get around how ugly they made the GM trucks. That was also the time they uglied up my beloved Camaro too and I just can't get excited about the C8 Corvette. The newer GM offerings just seemed so boring, ugly and way too posh.

What attracted me to my current 23 Ram Powerwagon was that you could actually get it in cool colors (mine is hydro blue) and I loved there were old school options for a front bench, a floor 4x4 shifter and solid axles. The current 4.5 gen Ram is one of my favorite looks and being a Jeep guy, I loved the solid axles, lockers and winch on the Powerwagon. I'm about 11 months into ownership with about 8000 miles and its been problem free (knock on wood). The trucks interior is leagues nicer than my last 09 GMC and the hemi has been great pulling the jeep trailer. Honestly, my only complaint on the truck is the Hemi's way of making gas disappear. The mileage is pretty rough around town, but it was worth the trade off for me and I went into the purchase knowing the it wasn't a Prius.

wrvond

Reaction score
I purchased my 2017 F350 DRW Lariat new in 2017 and put over 300,000 miles on it. I'd have it still if the Ford service departments in my area hadn't destroyed my truck. I really like the aluminum body and the ten speed transmission of the Ford. I also miss the eight foot bed and 48 gallon fuel tank. Seating was very comfortable for me and held up well for all those miles. All the controls worked as designed - including the power telescoping steering wheel (Ram doesn't have one). The Ford sun/moon roof has a long history of problems and I have no reason to think they have fixed that. Their 6.7L diesel engine is quieter, smoother and feels more refined than the Cummins, but still uses the CP4 HPFP which is a deal breaker for me. The Godzilla motor is reputed to be having problems, but I've got no experience with it. You can be sure the Ram trucks are going to get better fuel mileage than the Fords gas or diesel.
I think the Ram trucks for 2024 have a better overall appearance than the 2024 Fords, though they are looking dangerously similar to Toyota trucks - especially in oncoming traffic.
My F350 in ruby red and polished aluminum wheels was a visually striking truck. People actually approached me to tell me how good it looked. My new Ram in billet silver metallic is a great looking truck (IMO), but not nearly as striking as the Ford was. Nobody has chased me down to tell me how pretty it is. :D
I think the appearance of the Laramie seats is much better than the Laredo seats. How durable they are remains to be seen. I've not seen any with 300,000 miles to judge.
I had no idea what a Mega Cab was until I went shopping but once I saw one it was a no brainer - I had to have it.
The Ford is a very well put together truck, but problems can occur. I don't believe Ford corporate stands behind it's product at all. Ram corporate on the other hand appears to be much more responsive.
There is no perfect truck out there, all you can do is decide what is most important to you and pick the one that checks the most boxes.

Riccochet

Reaction score
I'm not brand loyal. My first truck was a 99 F350, then a 01 F250, 05 Nissan Titan, 09 GMC 1500, 11 F150. It was that F150 that broke me from Ford. Truck was an absolute P.O.S. that Ford ultimately refused to repair. Had to take them to litigation for replacement. They gave me a brand new 2012 leftover that I drove home, looked online for a new truck and found a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie used with 61 miles on it for a heck of a price. Went over and traded for the Ram. Been in a Ram ever since. They've all ran fine, no issues and service center has treated me well.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Drove all 3, bought another Ram. Even though the platform is considered “old” by most, still a great looking truck and the interior is still the benchmark IMO. GM made some strides on the interior but it’s still a GM interior. Ford would be my #2 choice, trucks look good and the drivetrain/power train choices are quite nice.

Entertainment wise, Uconnect is way better than Ford’s SYNC, GM………well it’s GM………..

6.4 Hemi /ZF 8 speed is a great combo, go drive one then go drive either Ford or GM gassers with the 10 speed and see what you think.

Last edited:

ollicat

Reaction score
Good questions, I kind of explored my thoughts and this is why I chose Ram

GM - To me, the brand seems generic, Chevrolet especially seems like the brand to choose when you want to be unnoticed,
Ford - the brand that everyone goes to and does because everyone goes to it And I don't like Ford interiors
Ram - seems to be just a bit more of a "Rebel" brand for the shopper that actually investigates products.

Those are just my opinions, fire way at me as you please

Firebird

Reaction score
For me, the most comfortable interior of the big 3

RPS1030

Reaction score
Can't stand IFS
22 Ford w/ 7.3 I ordered was pushing too tall on the bedsides for the old GN Crawler Hauler

Xflight29

Reaction score
I have owned about every type of Ram Truck and love them. They have way, way better interior than any other HD truck out there. You get way more for the dollar than any other overpriced HD truck. I have never been stranded or disappointed in any of them.
I feel a lot of it is what you grew up with and we always have had Dodge trucks, Chevy and GMC HD trucks also do not have either the fold down rear platform or the rear seats like the Mega cab that make enough room for the wife's shopping spree, which is big for us as we have two labs that go everywhere with us.

hondapro

Reaction score
I was always a Superduty guy, I always liked the looks of the Rams and I thought the Cummins was great but I never really looked close or drove one. My last superduty seemed like it always had some small issues going on it was never nothing major but it was annoying. So on night I was sitting a the campground looking around and there was a lot of Ram trucks there. I thought maybe I should go and check out a Ram. I was tired of the issues with the Ford and it was about time to trade it in anyway. I checked out my local dealer web site and they had a 23 3500 in stock with everything I wanted except for cab lights. So the following Saturday my wife and I went to test drive it, I never thought I would like it better than a superduty. Well as soon as I got in In I really liked the interior and driving it it rode and drove better than my Ford, And the Cummins is just way different than the Powerstroke. They made me a good deal and we brought it home the following Saturday. I really like my Ram and It is the nicest truck I have ever had. I should have switched to Ram sooner.

Docwagon1776

Reaction score
Understand I didn't set out to buy a HD truck at all. I set out to buy the best truck that would cover long days on the highway to get to fun places then do mid-level off roading/unmaintained roads when you got to those fun places. The Power Wagon ended up being that for me.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
..because the Raptors have sixes and too much nonsense, now. TRXs have mucho junk in the cab, under the hood and elsewhere. So… a PW full of superfluous crepe, just not as much as the other two mentioned.
Ideally, would have gotten a Tradesman with the package but it was Covid and had to take what I could get.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
I've owned a little of everything. I've worked in auto repair off and on for 30yrs. They are all garbage(especially GM)! There's always a few mentally handicapped engineers at every manufacturer. It's up to you to do the research and background check, then decide if you can live with reality. Last go around I looked at all my options. Ram won me over on price, kush interior, solid F axle and tbh Mopar has always been a favorite of mine. My '19 is the 11th mopar in my automotive ownership time-line. I have no regrets with the truck. It's been a solid performer from day one. I would buy it again but don't plan on selling it. For reference I typically keep a vehicle 1-2yrs before its deemed unworthy of my continued attention. Only two other vehicles (out of 26) have hung around longer than the '19 Ram. My '17 JK and the '12 Frontier that the Ram replaced.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Never would’ve considered a Ram truck. Ever. Despite liking jeeps I always thought Chrysler products, especially transmissions, were trash. Then Ram put the best transmission on the planet, the ZF transmission, in the 2500.

around that time I started shopping for a truck to replace my F150 with a 3/4 ton gas truck and the 7.3L ford was “coming soon” and so was the 10 speed. The Chevy big gas motor was out but had a 6 speed still and I wasn’t interested in the Ford 6.2L gas and didn’t want a diesel truck

The ram was the obvious choice and was $39k

The year was 2019

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Never would’ve considered a Ram truck. Ever. Despite liking jeeps I always thought Chrysler products, especially transmissions, were trash. Then Ram put the best transmission on the planet, the ZF transmission, in the 2500.

around that time I started shopping for a truck to replace my F150 with a 3/4 ton gas truck and the 7.3L ford was “coming soon” and so was the 10 speed. The Chevy big gas motor was out but had a 6 speed still and I wasn’t interested in the Ford 6.2L gas and didn’t want a diesel truck

The ram was the obvious choice and was $39k

The year was 2019
39k?!…man, I really got screwed by all the overpriced junk option in my PW. A base Tradesman with the package would have been so much nicer, stupid Covid. If I hadn’t needed a truck like now back then…

Users who are viewing this thread