Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why No Option for Power Running Boards on PW?

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am about to pull the trigger on a 21 PW and am just wondering if anyone knows why you cant get the power running boards with it? I can put on the AMP running boards once I get it if possible, but I am just concerned there is something with the PW that makes them incompatible. The AMP website seems to think I can (they have them listed as fitting the 21 PW) so what gives?

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am about to pull the trigger on a 21 PW and am just wondering if anyone knows why you cant get the power running boards with it? I can put on the AMP running boards once I get it if possible, but I am just concerned there is something with the PW that makes them incompatible. The AMP website seems to think I can (they have them listed as fitting the 21 PW) so what gives?

The Mopar running boards are different than the Amps. There could be something specific to the PW that is in the way for the Mopar mounts. I went with Amp as I saw there were a few people that had problems with the Mopar units. I also felt comfortable going with AMPs since I have had them on my 07 for 13 years now without a problem. I should add that I don't have a PW.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Who knows what or why the ’’company’’ does what they do! I can tell you there can’t be to many truck guys/gals in the decision making roles.:rolleyes:

@JC

Reaction score
I would speculate that, since Ram positions the PW as a no compromises off-roader, they only have the heavy duty tubular rails as an available option to fit that image. Honestly I think they're perfect for the truck and they work great for all the people I've had ride in it.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
BTW - The Amp steps tuck up a little bit farther than the factory power steps.

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. Guess I will be installing the Amp steps when I get the truck.

kobra

Reaction score
I don't have a PW, and I don't do very serious offroad, so opinion only here.
But I do wonder if power steps are not a good idea for offroad? For example, can you use them with any kind of a rock slider system? And, if not, and they scrape, could that result in expensive damage? I suspect the system would not handle being bent at all.

I could be wrong on this and maybe it's not an issue, but I have a limited with the power steps and I've already been thinking that I might have to be more careful off road than in the past.

I really like the idea of the power steps with a PW or a lifted truck, but I'd like to know of someone with experience using them successfully off road.

B

RndmGlitch

Reaction score
I had the dealer install the AMP power steps on my PW before I picked it up. They did a pretty nice job with it. They interface with the ODB2 connector and also have lights that shine down on them when the doors are open. Talk to your dealer again - you should be able to get them installed there.

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
I don't have a PW, and I don't do very serious offroad, so opinion only here.
But I do wonder if power steps are not a good idea for offroad? For example, can you use them with any kind of a rock slider system? And, if not, and they scrape, could that result in expensive damage? I suspect the system would not handle being bent at all.

I could be wrong on this and maybe it's not an issue, but I have a limited with the power steps and I've already been thinking that I might have to be more careful off road than in the past.

I really like the idea of the power steps with a PW or a lifted truck, but I'd like to know of someone with experience using them successfully off road.

B
Oh, right didnt think of that. You are probably right.

I had the dealer install the AMP power steps on my PW before I picked it up. They did a pretty nice job with it. They interface with the ODB2 connector and also have lights that shine down on them when the doors are open. Talk to your dealer again - you should be able to get them installed there.

Great idea, didnt think of that. They do a bunch of custom stuff at the dealer, lifts, wheels and such. I am sure they will do it. Thanks.

Stavo

Reaction score
My RBP power steps tuck up high enough (pretty sure AMP does too) that you are more likely to hit the frame if you high center than the steps. Yes, there is a possibility you could come down only on the steps but, 7,000lb truck coming down on the tube steps is going to do damage too. Personally I went for the ground clearance.

Me doing just what I described above and coming down on the frame a bit.

kobra

Reaction score
That's awesome, thanks for sharing @Stavo !
That makes me feel better; I don't imagine taking my ltd on anything that technical.

B

Stojanowski

Reaction score
Yea I had the AMP on my 17 and now 19 Power Wagon. Slight difference between the 2 years but they got them to fit on the 19

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Sliders are meant to protect the sides and edges of your truck. Not the under carriage. If you don't go over rugged uneven terrain they are not needed. Good ones are able to support the weight of your truck and can even be used as a jacking point in an emergency. It's also possible to pivot your truck off them. Mine have saved me from damage multiple times.

Steps and nerf bars are meant to be used as....steps.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Sliders are meant to protect the sides and edges of your truck. Not the under carriage. If you don't go over rugged uneven terrain they are not needed. Good ones are able to support the weight of your truck and can even be used as a jacking point in an emergency. It's also possible to pivot your truck off them. Mine have saved me from damage multiple times.

Steps and nerf bars are meant to be used as....steps.
Very true. I have sliders on my Jeep and steps on my trucks. If I didn't have a Jeep I would probably have sliders on at least one of my trucks.

brainless

Reaction score
This is why you want OEM "step" bars.
y4m1K_OltYgISY0bOPqry1L7JCHAu0VjEwcUsGt5Tdua0mPAJhIvvnSxj_bhsQYQdict6KJHVtPXfwPxocjy10jRZqcxUE7HbM549IULGVVLtGXmTdBPTlBLa_On8j1u1EYtukSh-MjSGeQRQpS_vrhlSRycmHmg9BTf0FU_IR1n_vsv1sUlfEHF1jw7IN55ax_

I have a Rebel that has AMP steps and love them. But I have to be extremely mindful of how deep I can go with her. The AMP steps are of a less rugged aluminum and will very easily bend or break. I scratched them pretty hard on those rocks:

y4mwZH-kFdSY2Hr19S-R30uQSZgRU5a7uNXOUbhOKvrs3tFD8QbzygJYpnrpG-yZY-DqbQNC63c8dC0J4mjYaPclspuf7b7f-vCPLUe1b53eQZyjPvotxDzwcljPBZ7KC9dHh205XitED7lsEyFe1v8EbAm7bVtJDJ5PYS9-AgHq7K6oyTMDESrC7bz0KCIWsTQ

sceptre155

Reaction score
Anyone try installing the amp xtreme boards on the new 2021 power wagon? I like the idea of having 2 motors... maybe its overkill. RBP is out of production until next year basically. They are moving their factory overseas.... I hope that doesnt effect the quality. RBP were my first choice.

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
Yeah, i have them on mine (had a local shop install them). AMP doesnt make the Xtream models for PW (thats the model with 2 motors). It says they do on their site, but they dont. I have a box waiting to go back to them after confirming with one of their techs that the web site should not show Xtream's that fit a PW.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Anyone try installing the amp xtreme boards on the new 2021 power wagon? I like the idea of having 2 motors... maybe its overkill. RBP is out of production until next year basically. They are moving their factory overseas.... I hope that doesnt effect the quality. RBP were my first choice.
I had the single motor Amps on my 2007 Ram. 13 yrs without a single problem. I don't have a Power Wagon, but I went with the single motor again for my 2020 Cummins. I like that they tuck up more than the factory steps.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Posted this I the exterior forum, but thought I'd post here as well
For those running power steps, rbp or amp.
Can you please take some measurements for me.
Looking for distance from the ground to the step surface when they are deployed. Also distance from step surface to floor inside cab.
Please include type of step, truck and tire height.
I'm trying to decide on steps for my new PW with 35 inch tires
Thanks

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
Posted this I the exterior forum, but thought I'd post here as well
For those running power steps, rbp or amp.
Can you please take some measurements for me.
Looking for distance from the ground to the step surface when they are deployed. Also distance from step surface to floor inside cab.
Please include type of step, truck and tire height.
I'm trying to decide on steps for my new PW with 35 inch tires
Thanks
Stock PW, AMP powersteps

14.5" from ground to top of step
15" from top of step to floor board

Users who are viewing this thread