Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to drain the water separator?

NomadPNW

Reaction score
So I’m newish to diesel, I live in Washington where’s it wet all the time. I’ve had the truck 22k miles got it in May of last year. Do I need to drain the fuel separator in the rear at all? I go through maybe a tank of diesel a week or more?

Attachments

• 438AC523-82F8-42AC-9BDD-52687D6E4A79.jpeg
    438AC523-82F8-42AC-9BDD-52687D6E4A79.jpeg
    891 KB · Views: 38

thestuarts

Reaction score
What year is your truck? I know you got it in May of last year, but it could be a used truck.

If it is a 2019 or newer, there is no water separator drain valve on the rear fuel filter. You just drain and replace the fuel filter when the minder comes on, or sooner if you are paranoid like me.

NomadPNW

Reaction score
What year is your truck? I know you got it in May of last year, but it could be a used truck.

If it is a 2019 or newer, there is no water separator drain valve on the rear fuel filter. You just drain and replace the fuel filter when the minder comes on, or sooner if you are paranoid like me.
It’s a 19 2500. So the drain on the filter is just a total drain kinda thing? I change mine every 10k and oil at 7500.

thestuarts

Reaction score
It’s a 19 2500. So the drain on the filter is just a total drain kinda thing? I change mine every 10k and oil at 7500.

I believe the valves on the front and rear filters are just to release the diesel when replacing the filters. I have not come across any recommendations to use the valves to periodically release water. I believe any water gets trapped in the filter media.

If anyone disagrees, please let me know.

NomadPNW

Reaction score
I believe the valves on the front and rear filters are just to release the diesel when replacing the filters. I have not come across any recommendations to use the valves to periodically release water. I believe any water gets trapped in the filter media.

If anyone disagrees, please let me know.
Rad! :)

thestuarts

Reaction score
This video demonstrates how the water separator works (skip to 4:30).

Basically, the filter allows the diesel to float on top of the water. The water collects at the bottom of the filter housing.

Maybe there is some benefit to periodically opening the valve to release water trapped at the bottom. I hope someone else can give more guidance.

AttilaTheHun

Reaction score
I had the Water in the fuel light come on. This was out in the middle of nowhere with no extra filter on hand. (now I have a set at all times) and all I did was crawl under the back, opened the tiny valve, let out the fuel until the murky stuff turned into clear fuel, and closed the valve. did the same on the front for about 20 seconds even though it all came out clear. The water in the fuel light went away, and everything was back to normal. just did the fuel filters today, and they still looked decent with 15k miles on them. I usually do them every 12k, but was on a run and couldn't get a hold of the rear, newer style cartridge filter. had to order it on amazon (cheaper anyways). so I ran a bit over. Not too bad anyhow, as I add Hotshot EDT every fill up.

I'll attach pictures of the front and back filters new vs. 15k miles so you guys have a comparison and see how yours holds up. I almost always fill up at truck stops all over the country, add additive and get DEF from the pumps only. Hotshot EDT every fill up.

Attachments

• fuel filter front.jpg
    fuel filter front.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 40
  • fuel filter rear.jpg
    fuel filter rear.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 40

NomadPNW

Reaction score
I had the Water in the fuel light come on. This was out in the middle of nowhere with no extra filter on hand. (now I have a set at all times) and all I did was crawl under the back, opened the tiny valve, let out the fuel until the murky stuff turned into clear fuel, and closed the valve. did the same on the front for about 20 seconds even though it all came out clear. The water in the fuel light went away, and everything was back to normal. just did the fuel filters today, and they still looked decent with 15k miles on them. I usually do them every 12k, but was on a run and couldn't get a hold of the rear, newer style cartridge filter. had to order it on amazon (cheaper anyways). so I ran a bit over. Not too bad anyhow, as I add Hotshot EDT every fill up.

I'll attach pictures of the front and back filters new vs. 15k miles so you guys have a comparison and see how yours holds up. I almost always fill up at truck stops all over the country, add additive and get DEF from the pumps only. Hotshot EDT every fill up.
Same here with the DEF at the pump and EDT, best stuff around and hopefully will keep the CP4 happy.

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score

A question comes to mind regarding the part of when your water in fuel light came on and you drained it to ''solve'' the issue... Roughly how many miles or km's did you currently have on that set of filters when this happened? Would be alarming if after a fresh filter change but would make sense to lessen the interval if closer to the end of ''recommended life''.

We all have to remember that OEM's try their best to put expiry dates and recommended maintenance schedules out even though they have to basically make a blanket schedule for both the CTD sold and operating in the Alaskan Tundra that has never heard of ''summer blend diesel''.... the CTD in Mexico at 100% humidity and everything/everywhere in between. Including the pressure to have lengthy intervals for those ''budget minded'' folks that include factory intervals in their maintenance cost when buying/comparing the vehicle. What is it they say....? Your experience may vary..

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Every month you should drain the water separator (rear) a bit to see if water is present that is what the drain **** is there for as well as draining for replacement... your not going to have an issue usually its just a piece of mind thing

AttilaTheHun

Reaction score
Roughly how many miles or km's did you currently have on that set of filters when this happened?
About 13.5k when the light came on. being that my filters at 15k weren't all that dirty my best assumptions is that that truck stop either just got a fuel delivery and their diesel was all mangled up or they were low... That's the only time the light ever came on. No noticeable difference in the performance of the truck, however I pulled over in a rest area about 5 miles down the road to drain them. Not an issue on the rest of the way home ~1500 or so miles later...

RichM752

Reaction score
I've never seen a warning light for water, nor have I had to drain water from fuel filters.
I'm on my 4th Ram 2500 with Cummins.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
I drained the front and rear separator at 8kmi just out of curiosity. Used a clear plastic drink cup. No water to be found on either side.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Anyone know the outside diameter of the drains on the fuel filter canisters. Will install some clear fuel line on them to make draining a bit less messy.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Anyone know the outside diameter of the drains on the fuel filter canisters. Will install some clear fuel line on them to make draining a bit less messy.
Idk the front but the rear is 5/16

flan

Reaction score
Fronts 1/2. I ran mine down by the differential

Users who are viewing this thread