Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to do with the Cargo View Camera when installing a camper shell?

tahoered

Reaction score
I wanted to purchase a new fiberglass camper shell, but the cargo camera tail light is in the way. Has anyone modified it by moving into the camper shell? Maybe just remove it, or will disrupt the surround camera system?

Will_T

Reaction score
Is it really in the way such that you can not install a canopy? That would be crazy since so many owners have and want shells. I understand that it would be blocked by a canopy but can't believe it would prevent any canopy being installed. There are other threads here where people talk about installing shells so I think it is done just fine. I have also seen in other threads that the surround camera system uses the front camera, the rear view camera, and the two side mirror cameras and blocking the cab top brake light does not impact surround view.

cmr287

Reaction score
My cargo cam does not prevent me from adding a shell if I wanted one.

This is a 2019 Ram 3500.
dab26565d3187d7cf3d39858a7150a2b.jpg

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I have a LEER top and it does not interfere with the cargo cam \ lights other than they are now useless but it fits fine, the top is molded to fit around the light.

Attachments

• 954795B2-A272-43F4-B0E5-9B09510F3FBC.jpeg
    954795B2-A272-43F4-B0E5-9B09510F3FBC.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 9A72EE29-CD44-4739-AAD6-B50E03016BD6.jpeg
    9A72EE29-CD44-4739-AAD6-B50E03016BD6.jpeg
    437.5 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

tahoered

Reaction score
Okay good to know. A.R.E. brand doesn't fit around the camera
Thank you for your input. Appreciate You!

tahoered

Reaction score
I have a LEER top and it does not interfere with the cargo cam \ lights other than they are now useless but it fits fine, the top is molded to fit around the light.
Okay good to know. A.R.E. brand doesn't fit around the camera
Thank you for your input. Appreciate You!
What style or type of Leer do you have?

cmr287

Reaction score

Brother, that is nice... I like that thing.

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I replaced my CHMSL with a cheap non-camera LED version from Amazon. I removed the camera from the light and tucked it back into the headliner, so for now that camera is just black.

I do have a plan to eventually try and run a harness into the shell and modify the brake light on the shell itself, but the list of to-dos ahead of this is quite long.

tahoered

Reaction score
Okay I got confirmation today that A.R.E. camper shell is compatible with the cargo camera. The A.R.E. distributor in my area gave me bad info. Thank you for all of your replies....

tahoered

Reaction score
I replaced my CHMSL with a cheap non-camera LED version from Amazon. I removed the camera from the light and tucked it back into the headliner, so for now that camera is just black.

I do have a plan to eventually try and run a harness into the shell and modify the brake light on the shell itself, but the list of to-dos ahead of this is quite long.
Yes, I'm going to try the same thing. I'll post later on how the process worked or didn't work. Thanks

Will_T

Reaction score

Thanks - Do you have a link to the one you used?
I don't have my truck yet so can't look, but was it a simple unscrew to remove and replace with Amazon version?

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Thanks - Do you have a link to the one you used?
I don't have my truck yet so can't look, but was it a simple unscrew to remove and replace with Amazon version?
This is the one I ordered, but I assume any of the competing products would work the same.
https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-2...14087604&rnid=2941120011&s=automotive&sr=1-68

And yes, there are two screws and two plugs to disconnect. The replacement will only have the one plug (no camera connection).

The camera itself can be removed from the stock light if you want. I wrapped mine in a little plastic, reconnected it via the plug and then tucked it into the headliner behind the new replacement. But I assume you could also simply leave it unplugged.

Will_T

Reaction score
And yes, there are two screws and two plugs to disconnect. The replacement will only have the one plug (no camera connection).

The camera itself can be removed from the stock light if you want. I wrapped mine in a little plastic, reconnected it via the plug and then tucked it into the headliner behind the new replacement. But I assume you could also simply leave it unplugged.
Thanks - Interesting that sellers do not update their compatibility. That light says it fits up to 2018 models. But that may be only because it won't work with the camera. You fit it to your 2020 so unless there is a size change on the 2021s, I would think it would work on those also.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Thanks - Interesting that sellers do not update their compatibility. That light says it fits up to 2018 models. But that may be only because it won't work with the camera. You fit it to your 2020 so unless there is a size change on the 2021s, I would think it would work on those also.
It's not the sellers, it's an Amazon error. I have run into so many cases where Amazon data is wrong. If the data is critical I call the manufacturer. Every manufacturer or distributor I have contacted said they have problems with Amazon updating product data.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Yeah. But I would assume 90% or more of the sellers have never even seen one of their products, let alone tested them on different models to confirm compatibility. I decided to take the small risk based on reports from others who successfully installed 4.5 gen CHMSL cameras into 4th gen trucks (and knowing I could always return it through Amazon).

Mark Halwa

Reaction score
Okay I got confirmation today that A.R.E. camper shell is compatible with the cargo camera. The A.R.E. distributor in my area gave me bad info. Thank you for all of your replies....
DSCF0288.JPG
I received this picture from A.R.E. today, I think it is an MX cap.

easye515

Reaction score
A bit different than the Leer or ARE, but the RSI smart cap fits, and also has a clear window where the light and camera are, so you can still utilize both.

Will_T

Reaction score
I received this picture from A.R.E. today, I think it is an MX cap.
Didn't you follow up that post in the other thread that ARE responded again, saying that it actually does not fit perfectly because at the center or that curved area the shell does not seal tight from water on the box/bed of the truck? It was a little hard to understand exactly what was meant so if you could clarify which part of the redesigned ARE shell potentially allows water in the bed? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread