Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is normal oil consumption?

Cummingeddon

Reaction score
Can anyone give some input on what you see as normal oil consumption? I've got what seems to be a new issue with burning oil. My 2019 3500 HO has about 52k miles on it, with about 18k miles of that pretty heavy towing (20k lbs fifth wheel). I just changed the oil a couple of weeks ago and seem to have burned through about 1 quart of oil over the last 1,400 miles of towing in the last week. It was driving east on I-84/80 from the coast, so there were some decent grades along the way, but nothing the truck hasn't seen before, like in Colorado. I usually use the T6 5W-40, but had to put in 10W-30 in the recent change because that's all I could get my hands on in the area. No noticeable soot around the end of the exhaust.

Firebird

Reaction score
Normal consumption? Zero
To date, I've never had a Cummins use oil

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Should not use oil at all but yea the 10w30 is way to light for a diesel idc what ram says so that could be your issue

BAT3500

Reaction score
How many miles were on the oil before changing? It may be just a sign of dirty oil.

My last ram used/lost some oil in a relatively short time when i apparently extended the oil change interval a little too far. Dash gauge said i had oil life left and i was also going by the oil analysis from the previous oil change but something changed during that one oil cycle. Never used oil again while i owned the truck

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
How many miles were on the oil before changing? It may be just a sign of dirty oil.

My last ram used/lost some oil in a relatively short time when i apparently extended the oil change interval a little too far. Dash gauge said i had oil life left and i was also going by the oil analysis from the previous oil change but something changed during that one oil cycle. Never used oil again while i owned the truck
He said 1400 miles if i am reading it correctly

Cummingeddon

Reaction score

There were maybe a few hundred around-town, non-towing miles on the oil before we started the trip east with the trailer.

Aketay

Reaction score
Oil is cheap, mine has burned a quart every 5000 to 7000 miles since it was new. At 339,000 now and the exhaust pipe is still clean.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Mine sucked down over a gallon of T6 in appx 7kmi. I've checked the level a few times since last OC and seems fine. While it's not the end of the world. It is one more thing to dislike about my '19. Wish there was another option that I found appealing to own.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Neither my 05 or 18 burned any oil.

Reaction score
When i change my oil i can always fill the gallon jugs back up with the used engine oil. It always seems like there is plenty of room at the top of each jug. Now if you add whatever s left in the filter maybe its not quite as much as it seems?

Users who are viewing this thread