Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the 3 plugs near the license plate?

Lary0071

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Limited Longhorn with digital rear view mirror.... and I like it.
1 (right lower) is the typical 7 pin round trailer plug.
The other (right upper) is a round multi pin, looks like an aircraft plug. I believe this to be the plug for the optional trailer camera systems that I did not buy.
Then here is the odd one... on the drivers side (left) is a small round, sort of BNC looking single center electrode plug. What the heck is that? I can not think of what this may be?

Disclosure: Bought the truck last night in the dark, drove to work at 4AM this morning and have not had tome to dig into literature in an attempt to discover this odd third plug.

Lary0071

Reaction score
12-pin is the XFQ trailer camera wiring.

The left side connector is a coax Fakra connector for the Digital Tow Mode camera that is connected to the Digital Rear View Mirror.
I thought you had to have ordered one of the camera packages to get those provisions. So now at any time I can go buy the optional cameras and plug them in and viola, it works! I do even see 2 optional camera choices in the radio software already programmed. I was not expecting to have that functionality built in by default.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I think there's still some confusion on when that 12-pin gets added to a truck/trim.

If you have 360° camera on the truck, the AUX1 gets replaced with the trailer 360° and can only be used with that option. The AUX2 can use the analog separate camera.

Pretty sure the Digital Tow mode HAS to be selected on the build to get the connector. It *may* be a Limited thing.

If you care to post your build sheet and what you have in this thread, it might help others.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
There’s a document in that thread that clears everything up:
If the truck has surround view system (for the truck), you get the 12-pin trailer connector fully wired on the truck side that can be used for trailer surround view plus one aux trailer camera.
If the truck is equipped with a digital rear view mirror (safety group), you get the connection port on the driver side of the bumper for the tow mode camera, even if you didn’t order the tow mode camera option.

Lary0071

Reaction score
There’s a document in that thread that clears everything up:
If the truck has surround view system (for the truck), you get the 12-pin trailer connector fully wired on the truck side that can be used for trailer surround view plus one aux trailer camera.
If the truck is equipped with a digital rear view mirror (safety group), you get the connection port on the driver side of the bumper for the tow mode camera, even if you didn’t order the tow mode camera option.
And I do have the digital mirror and the 360 camera on truck. So that automatically put me into a good position where I can choose at a later date if I wish to get the ad on systems. Cool.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

BigRedDelaney

Reaction score
I have ordered this system. Does any one know where to get the cameras??? I would like to install it on my RV. Maybe one camera under or maybe inside the camper.

Tledwards

Reaction score
I too have both of these options but didn't realize that i lose my 4 pin connection at the bumper. So now I have to carry a 7 to 4 pin adaptor - not a huge deal but still a pain!

Users who are viewing this thread