Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warning From Ram - Annoying

Will_T

Reaction score
I thought I saw this talked about a long time ago and maybe I even posted in that thread. I can't find it now though. Anyway, Yesterday I started getting emails and warnings from Ram about the recalls I have been unsuccessfully trying to get done for at least 9 months, or one of them maybe only 7 or 8 months. My dealer here just keeps telling me very limited availability on parts and I am on the list and the list is long. (Like maybe one recall a week!!) I am living with it and have taken steps on both the grid heater relay and the exploding transmission fluid problems to avoid a disaster like the photos recently posted in another thread,

But suddenly Ram has decided to harass me like it is my fault the dealer will not do the recall work. I got an email shown below just this morning. And I have had a couple of warnings yesterday and today on my radio screen in the truck. I can ignore the email and dismiss the in truck warnings, but they sure are annoying after all the effort I have put into trying to get them done.

Additionally, there is a message, (shown below), just today that is stuck on my radio screen saying a pop-up app is being downloaded. What is that about? I don't want a pop-up app or the pop-up warnings from Ram. Or the continuing emails. It would be one thing if Ram just sent out a notice when the recall is issued and then the dealers would do the repair. But that is not how Ram works and it is certainly not the customers fault that the dealers drag their feet on these things.

Anyway, just a rant I know, but I am a bit touchy on this subject after all this time getting the dealer runaround on both of these recalls. Another contributing factor to the annoyance is that these are the 3nd and 4rd recalls on this truck. When I tried to get the first two done, I got the runaround each time on both of those. Both on the first relay recall and the tailgate latch recall, I was told the wait was months minimum to get those done. Then on the first relay, the NEXT DAY I was in for an oil and fuel filter change and was told that the recall needed to be done. I explained that I was on the schedule but it was 3 months out. The guy behind the counter laughed and said "I have technicians looking for something to do, we will do it after the oil change". On the tailgate latch, same thing. Service department said no appointments available for at least 2 or 3 months. A week later at an oil change, the did it.

Rant over. Sorry!

1695086206459.png

Here is the popup message stuck on the screen: I did not think to take a photo of the Warning message itself either time before I dismissed them.

1695086324719.png

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried another dealer? I understood that parts were no long an issue for the dipstick or grid heater recalls.

Will_T

Reaction score
Have you tried another dealer? I understood that parts were no long an issue for the dipstick or grid heater recalls.
As I have posted before, the next closest dealers are all part of the same dealership chain. They are the same quality, plus will not work with anyone that is already in their computer as using another location in the chain. Won't even return calls. There is a dealer 1-1/2 to 2 hours away that supposedly is better. But I have not tried them yet as I do not want to always have to travel that distance for any work. I just want our local dealer, who is only 10 minutes from my house, to do their job but that is likely just wishful thinking.

And I am not thinking parts are the real reason the local dealer won't do the work. I believe that maybe they are short staffed and as busy as they can be with better paying work so have no interest in doing recall or warranty work. They just put you off hoping you will somehow go elsewhere.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
As I have posted before, the next closest dealers are all part of the same dealership chain. They are the same quality, plus will not work with anyone that is already in their computer as using another location in the chain. Won't even return calls. There is a dealer 1-1/2 to 2 hours away that supposedly is better. But I have not tried them yet as I do not want to always have to travel that distance for any work. I just want our local dealer, who is only 10 minutes from my house, to do their job but that is likely just wishful thinking.

And I am not thinking parts are the real reason the local dealer won't do the work. I believe that maybe they are short staffed and as busy as they can be with better paying work so have no interest in doing recall or warranty work. They just put you off hoping you will somehow go elsewhere.

I'm having that issue getting the harmonic balancer replaced on my Cummins. Service Writer just keeps saying they're down too many techs. After my next/last camper pull end of month, I'm going to start harassing them. Tired of listening to the chipmunk under the hood.

Will_T

Reaction score
I'm having that issue getting the harmonic balancer replaced on my Cummins. Service Writer just keeps saying they're down too many techs. After my next/last camper pull end of month, I'm going to start harassing them. Tired of listening to the chipmunk under the hood.
I have been thinking the same thing since the TT will pretty much be parked from mid-October until well after the new year. But I have been told by a couple of others that complained and pressured our local dealer service department that it only made things worse if that is even possible. And if they get annoyed with you, then maybe something not to your advantage will happen. Like assigning the tech that was hired last week to your truck. In our service department, you can walk in with 3 writers sitting at their counters and walk up to any of them and they won't even look up at you, never mind greet you. When you do say something, they will then look up like there could not be a worse thing to happen to them so far today than you choosing to approach them. So rather than feed into or fight it, I just try to be upbeat and pleasant so as not to get them even more annoyed. It might be time to get a little more assertive though. The thing is I really do not think there is anything different about what I experience. It is just the vibe, or attitude or something about the whole environment there. Even when I talked to the service manager about a year ago, even though he was nice enough, he seemed helpless and hopeless to make anything happen. I really think it is a top-down thing. This is one of the biggest chain of dealerships Ram has and you can get big one of two ways. Good customer service, or ruthless business practice and buying up all the competition.

Reactions: jak

Firebird

Reaction score
My 8.4 does the same annoying thing. Good luck getting an appointment with parts available to fix

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
Glad to know that I'm not the only one getting the run-a-round.

Users who are viewing this thread