Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wandering cruise control

jnma1234

Reaction score
My 2014 6.4 l will hold a steady speed until I go up and incline, then it drops two to three miles an hour and suddenly takes off. I wondered if anybody else had this problem.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well yea thats how cruise works it is likely downshifting when it “takes off” and not a problem

jnma1234

Reaction score
Yeah, I understand that's how cruise works, but in every other vehicle I've owned, it doesn't drop three miles an hour before it reacts.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand that's how cruise works, but in every other vehicle I've owned, it doesn't drop three miles an hour before it reacts.
Have your other vehicles been 7-8k lbs you are not driving a sportscar lol

jnma1234

Reaction score
Yes I have. As a matter of fact one of my other vehicles is 80,000 lb, and that never lags.

racer4

Reaction score
Have your other vehicles been 7-8k lbs you are not driving a sportscar lol
The weight of the truck does not affect how fast the cruise control reacts.
And when it does react, there is plenty of power to handle the weight.
My 2007 GMC 2500 Duramax cruise control worked way better than my 2016 Ram 3500 6.7L.
It reacted sooner, but did not over react. It would increase the turbo output first, if that didn't maintain speed, then it would downshift. The Ram downshifts more often.
The GMC cruise behaved much smarter than the Ram cruise control.

Last edited:

jnma1234

Reaction score
My 2007 GMC 2500 Duramax cruise control worked way better than my 2016 Ram 3500 6.7L.
It reacted sooner, but did not over react. It would increase the turbo output first, if that didn't maintain speed, then it would downshift.
It behaved much smarter than the Ram cruise control.
So, do you know is there a fix to make the cruise control more sensitive, or is that just the way Dodge Ram 2500's are?

racer4

Reaction score
In my experience, that's how they are.
I have a 2023 Ram 3500 on order, at the dealer, on recall sales hold.
I hope it will be better, but probably not.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It reacted sooner, but did not over react. It would increase the turbo output first, if that didn't maintain speed, then it would downshift.
It behaved much smarter than the Ram cruise control.
The weight of a vehicle 100% changes things. your non emissions duramax is much different than the emissions setup CTD and likely unlocked the torque converter or you “increasing turbo output” and not being a VGT turbo setup the increased rpm brought the turbo speed up more than the VGT cummins does. My 05 cummins was better for cruise than my 19 was before my delete now the cruise is much better its just how it is.

His is a gas truck the only way it can gain speed is to unlock then downshift and with a heavy truck you lose speed faster than a car does. Hence the issue he has

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
In my experience, that's how they are.
I have a 2023 Ram 3500 on order, at the dealer, on recall sales hold.
I hope it will be better, but probably not.
If tuned it will be better but if stock it wont be the tq management and the VGT make them take more time to build the power unlike the old trucks

racer4

Reaction score
The weight of a vehicle 100% changes things. your non emissions duramax is much different than the emissions setup CTD and likely unlocked the torque converter or you “increasing turbo output” and not being a VGT turbo setup the increased rpm brought the turbo speed up more than the VGT cummins does. My 05 cummins was better for cruise than my 19 was before my delete now the cruise is much better its just how it is.

His is a gas truck the only way it can gain speed is to unlock then downshift and with a heavy truck you lose speed faster than a car does. Hence the issue he has
Simply put:
I was pleasantly surprised at how well the 2007 GMC cruise worked, compared to previous experience.
I was disappointed at how well the 2016 Ram cruise worked, compared to the 2007 GMC 2500. It was a step backward.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Simply put:
I was pleasantly surprised at how well the 2007 GMC cruise worked, compared to previous experience.
I was disappointed at how well the 2016 Ram cruise worked, compared to the 2007 GMC 2500. It was a step backward.
Comparing apples to oranges though due to the emissions systems, safety systems and different turbo setups the old stuff was better there is no doubt about that. That one reason i keep my 01 3500 around lol.

Users who are viewing this thread