Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UNLEASH THE BEAST: 2023 Ram 3500 Laramie Mega Cab Prospector XL

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I find it funny that AEV has been churning our PXLs since 2019, but for some reason the article highlighting the added bling from a 2023 has everyone up in arms.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I find it funny that AEV has been churning our PXLs since 2019, but for some reason the article highlighting the added bling from a 2023 has everyone up in arms.
Not to mention the fact that there have been about 5 articles on basically this same truck. That said, they have been doing these from like 2015 or 2016, so even longer.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that there have been about 5 articles on basically this same truck. That said, they have been doing these from like 2015 or 2016, so even longer.
Wow. You're right. I thought the green one from SEMA in 2019 was the first, but it was just the first for the 19+ trucks. Looking back at older articles, they started the PXL for the 4th gen trucks back in 2015.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I think the PXL itself is awesome, I just think a 3500 Mega Cab is a terrible platform for it. @ramblinChet has an awesome regular cab long bed (though it’s just a “P”, not an XL), which isn’t as insanely long, and to me makes sense as a 3500 because he’s hauling a camper in the bed. He also got the Hemi IIRC, so it’s not so ridiculously heavy.

If you’re not hauling a camper in the back I feel like a 2500 makes a way better candidate for a Prospector. As I joked about above, It’s not like you’re towing a 5th wheel with 40s.

I know the Cummins makes lots of torque, but you know what I’ve never said to myself when I’m in 4 Low? “Man I wish I had more than 21,870 ft-lb (429 x 4.71 (1st gear) x 2.64 (4Lo) x 4.10 (axle ratio)) of torque.” (Yes, I know there’s more to it than that, like tire size, and drivetrain losses, etc, but that doesn’t defeat the point.)

This isn’t a diesel vs gas argument by the way, both are great for their purposes.

Last edited:

UglyViking

Reaction score
Jeep wrangler - 20,083 (260 x 4.71 (1st gear) x 4.0 (4Lo) x 4.10 (axle ratio))
Cummins SO - 27,035 (850 x 3.23 x 2.64 x 3.73))

Just writing up the jeep wrangler rubicon numbers with the cummins number. If you don't factor in weight or tire size the Cummins really looks good!

Personally, I think that the Cummins trucks get a lot of shade for being so heavy, so big, etc. and while its hugely noticeable on some really tight trails, and can be annoying parking in small lots, I'd argue that for most people, on most of the trails, it wouldn't be an issue. A CCSB 2500 with the basics of suspension, tires, wheels, spare, recovery gear, etc. and you're banging on 8000-8500 lbs pretty quick. PW starts at 7k, thats before any options, where as a Laramie Cummins starts around 7,400 lbs. It's obviously a difference, but I mean you make that difference up so many times over in other ways.

I think the width of these trucks does have a downside, and the turning radius and breakover angle are the two worse offenders, but you're getting a lot for your downsides.

There are guys that pull 5ers with prospectors, guys that do it with even taller trucks. I don't see a huge issue, so long as you adjust your trailer for the clearance.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Man, I love the truck world.

People bitch about the PowerWagon not having a Cummins.

People bitch about the crew cab being too small.

So, AEV gives the Cummins in the Mega Cab and, people bitch.

Great stuff.

I drive my crew cab long bed on every public land road PA has to offer. Never once did I think...wow, I would love to stuff my family of five in A Jeep Rubicon.

Sure, I know some people are hard core off roaders;), but here in PA this would be great for what I do. I have no interest in anything other than used Mopar trucks at a huge discount, but the price isn't too crazy when you compare it to what else is offered and what you get with the package.

The bitching never ends though. They did the best with what they have, for what people have been asking for.

Just like manual shift trucks. Everyone says they want one...but none of those bitching ever bought one, and now they are gone...why I keep my 99 around, so I have that opportunity.

And, maybe @jsalbre made a typo, but @ramblinChet AEV truck is a long bed.

Man, how many times I wished Dodge/Ram would have made a regular cab/short bed HeftyDuty. That would be the perfect PowerWagon.

And yes, I would buy that, even new, spending some of this cash.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I think the PXL itself is awesome, I just think a 3500 Mega Cab is a terrible platform for it. @ramblinChet has an awesome regular cab short bed (though it’s just a “P”, not an XL), which isn’t as insanely long, and to me makes sense as a 3500 because he’s hauling a camper in the bed. He also got the Hemi IIRC, so it’s not so ridiculously heavy.

If you’re not hauling a camper in the back I feel like a 2500 makes a way better candidate for a Prospector. As I joked about above, It’s not like you’re towing a 5th wheel with 40s.

I know the Cummins makes lots of torque, but you know what I’ve never said to myself when I’m in 4 Low? “Man I wish I had more than 21,870 ft-lb (429 x 4.71 (1st gear) x 2.64 (4Lo) x 4.10 (axle ratio)) of torque.” (Yes, I know there’s more to it than that, like tire size, and drivetrain losses, etc, but that doesn’t defeat the point.)

This isn’t a diesel vs gas argument by the way, both are great for their purposes.
There are many people who do tow 5th wheels on 37-40s as silly as it sounds. There is a local hotshot guy running a GN with his 4th gen on 40s and 3.42 gears its quite comical to see him go up hills.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
9E79EB78-647B-4EAC-98FF-0EA741BB13C9.jpegE8229E78-BDB7-429E-8080-5D13BFE698A4.jpegAD833F90-295C-4FA0-B51C-581E1A08A77F.jpeg
Like this 2500? Although it doesn’t have 40” tires, it’s a fully self contained custom camper with AC, solar and full off road capability. He lost a front axle (bent) due to off-roading on trails that only mostly Jeeps run. So he replaced it and properly welded in braces on the top and bottom. I personally was in this truck doing 55 mph over dirt roads that pickups, even keeps, have to slow down for. I was wide eye open when ran the road. His opinion is “why slow down and get thrown around when it’ll smooth out going fast”. The dirt road, is the road into the Desert Bar in Parker AZ that is @ 5 miles off the highway.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Like this 2500? Although it doesn’t have 40” tires, it’s a fully self contained custom camper with AC, solar and full off road capability. He lost a front axle (bent) due to off-roading on trails that only mostly Jeeps run. So he replaced it and properly welded in braces on the top and bottom. I personally was in this truck doing 55 mph over dirt roads that pickups, even keeps, have to slow down for. I was wide eye open when ran the road. His opinion is “why slow down and get thrown around when it’ll smooth out going fast”. The dirt road, is the road into the Desert Bar in Parker AZ that is @ 5 miles off the highway.
That’s an interesting rig. I’m completely unsurprised to see Swiss logos and plates on it. Does that generation 2500 still have the leaf springs? I can never remember when it changed over. If not I’d probably have gone 3500 for stability, though you could help on a coil spring 2500 if you put in airbags.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s an interesting rig. I’m completely unsurprised to see Swiss logos and plates on it. Does that generation 2500 still have the leaf springs? I can never remember when it changed over. If not I’d probably have gone 3500 for stability, though you could help on a coil spring 2500 if you put in airbags.
Coil springs did not happen until 2014

jsalbre

Reaction score
Man, I love the truck world.

People bitch about the PowerWagon not having a Cummins.

People bitch about the crew cab being too small.

So, AEV gives the Cummins in the Mega Cab and, people bitch.

Great stuff.

I drive my crew cab long bed on every public land road PA has to offer. Never once did I think...wow, I would love to stuff my family of five in A Jeep Rubicon.

Sure, I know some people are hard core off roaders;), but here in PA this would be great for what I do. I have no interest in anything other than used Mopar trucks at a huge discount, but the price isn't too crazy when you compare it to what else is offered and what you get with the package.

The bitching never ends though. They did the best with what they have, for what people have been asking for.

Just like manual shift trucks. Everyone says they want one...but none of those bitching ever bought one, and now they are gone...why I keep my 99 around, so I have that opportunity.

And, maybe @jsalbre made a typo, but @ramblinChet AEV truck is a long bed.

Man, how many times I wished Dodge/Ram would have made a regular cab/short bed. That would be the perfect PowerWagon.

And yes, I would buy that, even new, spending some of this cash.
I did typo on Chet’s bed length. Sorry Chet, didn’t mean to short change you!

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone’s needs are different, so everyone’s perfect truck is different. Just calling out my thoughts and preferences.

I’m really curious to see how anyone is towing a 5th wheel with a PXL. People seem to struggle with bed side clearance on stock trucks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I did typo on Chet’s bed length. Sorry Chet, didn’t mean to short change you!

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone’s needs are different, so everyone’s perfect truck is different. Just calling out my thoughts and preferences.

I’m really curious to see how anyone is towing a 5th wheel with a PXL. People seem to struggle with bed side clearance on stock trucks.
Lifted trailers and a lack of bed clearance for most of them running 5th wheel campers… but a GN usually has lots of clearance it would be plenty fine on a PXL

Users who are viewing this thread