Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to pull the pin

wherezat

Reaction score
I had a locksmith out today to program my new key fobs. He was unable to pull the pin to program them.
I left my bypass cable plugged into the CAN blocks but left the rest unplugged, rolled up, and tucked away under the dash. Could this have been the reason why he couldn't pull the pin?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I had a locksmith out today to program my new key fobs. He was unable to pull the pin to program them.
I left my bypass cable plugged into the CAN blocks but left the rest unplugged, rolled up, and tucked away under the dash. Could this have been the reason why he couldn't pull the pin?
No its because he is likely trying to do it like the 4th gens and these 4.5 gens use a rolling code system and he does not have the proper gear to do that. You may be in for a dealer trip

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve read that JScan and AlfaOBD can now program fobs on the 19+ trucks.

wherezat

Reaction score
What all would I need to program the fobs
myself with JScan?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

wherezat

Reaction score
Job completed! Thanks for all of the help. I think I have also discovered why the locksmith was having an issue pulling the code. He turned the hazard lights on but never closed the door. I feel like I'm trying to enter cheat codes to get some of these things done but it is what it is. Up up down down left right ab ab you now have your pin!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct.
Any adapter recommended by Jscan will work, keeping in mind the platform compatibility of the adapter (android, or android/iOS).

I've been sitting on the fence re: buying Jscan so I guess that seals the deal.

Does Jscan pull the PIN (if required) or do I still need the PIN puller app?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I had to remove the bypass when I had a locksmith out to do the fob.

good to know jscan can do that in house, I need to get a spare fobber.

wherezat

Reaction score
Jscan pulled the pin. What made me take a shot at it was the price. $24 for using it with one VIN or $125 to have a locksmith try again. Make sure you have a good signal for your phone or wifi for your tablet. Weak signals might cause things to time out.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Jscan pulled the pin. What made me take a shot at it was the price. $24 for using it with one VIN or $125 to have a locksmith try again. Make sure you have a good signal for your phone or wifi for your tablet. Weak signals might cause things to time out.
Jscan is standalone, so once the app is on your device, it doesn’t need a WiFi or cell connection to function. Could be connection between Jscan and OBD interface that might time out.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I got 2 FOB in the mail today and had them both programmed in about 5 minutes.

1. Make sure you have a good internet/data connection on your phone/tablet
  2. Pull the PIN
  3. Program the FOB(s)

I took some screenshots but it's super easy to follow the clear directions. FWIW, I never turned off my hazards after the PIN pull and it didn't affect anything. I also did it with the bypass cable still connected.

@Jimmy07 Many thanks for discovering this gem.

Last edited:

Riddick

Reaction score
Job completed! Thanks for all of the help. I think I have also discovered why the locksmith was having an issue pulling the code. He turned the hazard lights on but never closed the door. I feel like I'm trying to enter cheat codes to get some of these things done but it is what it is. Up up down down left right ab ab you now have your pin!

Up Up, Down Down, Left Right, Left Right, B A, Start! Bringing back memories :)

Users who are viewing this thread