Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 drops out in same location every time

leeparnell89

Reaction score
So this is wild but it’s been happening since I bought the truck. Every time I pass this one specific location in Brock TX my radio cuts out. Every single time, without fail. I’ve laughed it off and discounted it as voodoo until Wednesday, when we took my wife’s new 22 for the first time and it also cut out. It only does it when listening to something on the phone, not when it’s on the radio. All my playlists are downloaded on my phone so it’s not a service issue, and it doesn’t do it at all the other BFE places I’m at with absolutely no service. My 2020 with Uconnect 4 didn’t do it either. Can anyone think of a cause for this? Not a huge deal, just a peculiarity I find comical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing in a specific area near me that I always lose satellite radio reception for no apparent reason... clear sky, no tall buildings etc. I just chalked it up to some electrical interference of some sort in the area.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So this is wild but it’s been happening since I bought the truck. Every time I pass this one specific location in Brock TX my radio cuts out. Every single time, without fail. I’ve laughed it off and discounted it as voodoo until Wednesday, when we took my wife’s new 22 for the first time and it also cut out. It only does it when listening to something on the phone, not when it’s on the radio. All my playlists are downloaded on my phone so it’s not a service issue, and it doesn’t do it at all the other BFE places I’m at with absolutely no service. My 2020 with Uconnect 4 didn’t do it either. Can anyone think of a cause for this? Not a huge deal, just a peculiarity I find comical.

Are you listening to the music via wireless CarPlay or Android Auto?

DSRAM3500Cummins

Reaction score
This happens to me in the same spots as well while listening to Apple CarPlay. It seems to be when I pass an area with heavy bridges and concrete on my commute. Every time and it’s always the same. It must be an antenna/interference issue although I don’t know why it would happen with a short signal like Bluetooth and an external cause. Not a deal breaker and I still love my truck, but it’s annoying.
2022 3500 CTD SRW

seew

Reaction score
Yes exact same here. I know this is a couple of months old but did anyone ever figure out a cause or solution? thanks

jerryw1000

Reaction score
I think this is usually caused by a leaking cable TV distribution system although it can also be from power lines or a transformer. I have several places on the local roads that I travel regularly where it wipes out my satellite radio for a few hundred feet. If you can pinpoint the location and report it to the FCC on their website they will eventually come check it out and make the offending party fix it.

Deltron

Reaction score
Trying living by a military base. We have a LOT of dead spots. On the homes right beside the base there's actually a disclosure statement about the possibility of interference.

leeparnell89

Reaction score
I think this is usually caused by a leaking cable TV distribution system although it can also be from power lines or a transformer. I have several places on the local roads that I travel regularly where it wipes out my satellite radio for a few hundred feet. If you can pinpoint the location and report it to the FCC on their website they will eventually come check it out and make the offending party fix it.

Well that’s interesting, I didn’t know that. This particular area has cleared up in both mine and my wife’s trucks but other places have randomly popped up for random amounts of time. Thanks for that I’ll try reporting to the FCC.

JimKIII

Reaction score
I wonder if it could be related to AM radio failing in certain areas. I was told by an amateur/ham radio instructor during a recent class, when I complained of several areas in town where my AM radio always fades into mass static (even in my new RAM), and he said it was 99% due to crappy power line connections on the residential power poles creating lots of power line noise. His solution was to go to the local power company and demand they come out and test all connections. I suppose the only way to prove something like that would be to use some kind of meter that would pick up and display PLN.

Users who are viewing this thread