Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. Full-Sized Truck Sales Comparison: Q2 2023 vs. Q2 2022

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

U.S. Full-Sized Truck Sales Comparison: Q2 2023 vs. Q2 2022​

How Does Ram Stack Up During Q2 Of 2023?​

1688794955427.png

Full-sized trucks are popular among American consumers, known for their versatility, power, and towing capabilities. Let’s take a look at the sales figures for Q2 2023 and compare them with Q2 2022, and see where Ram stands.

silver billet

Reaction score
GM is really killing it lately, beating out Ford for best selling.

Agree with your conclusions, especially those engine and transmission choices. I've never understood why Ram never offered the 6.4 SRT but stuffs it in everything else. Even the wranger gets it. I just want a simple tradesman with a big v8/392 to compete with the GM 6.2.

Will_T

Reaction score
My experience talking to truck owners at campgrounds, etc. indicates there may be another contributing factor although likely smaller compared to truck options available. GMC owners seem universally happy with their dealer's after the sale service. Ram owners seem almost universally frustrated with Ram service departments.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I agree with some of the items mentioned in the article. I will be the first to say that I'm increasingly worried about the size of these trucks though. The current Ram HDs hit the sweet spot for me between cab size and daily drivability. The Ford CCSB is roughly 2.5' larger (edit: turning radius, 2.5' larger turning radius) than the CCSB Ram, and it's in no small part due to that larger cab/wheelbase.

The only thing I personally really want out of a truck would be an upgraded trans for better MPG both towing and unloaded. I'm eager to see if the ZF rolls out for 2024, and if so how durable it turns out to be.

Past that, I think Ford and GM have stepped up their interior game to the point that all 3 are very competitive and I'd be happy with all of them.

Last edited:

Turin

Reaction score
I'm increasingly worried about the size of these trucks though.
I almost ordered a GMC Sierra instead of a Ram. What tipped the scales is that the Ram was the only truck on the market which was both short enough to fit in my garage (if just barely) and available in the trim level I wanted. With any of the other manufacturers I'd would have either needed to settle for a more bare-bones truck or park outside all the time.

Past that, I think Ford and GM have stepped up their interior game to the point that all 3 are very competitive and I'd be happy with all of them.
Agreed. With GM's 2024 refresh of their HD lineup the big three are now all pretty comparable.

Milly

Reaction score
I just got my new 2023 Ram 2500 BH and love it but really liked the GMC. The squared off design looks stellar. Only reason I went with Ram is because they gave me the best deal on my 2020 Ram 1500 lease buyout.

The HD pulls my camper better but has a pull to the right and feels unstable on the highway, loose feeling. Some days I miss my 1500….

Next truck will be a different brand for sure. Until then I am going to keep buggin the dealer to fix my truck and keep on putting miles on her for a few more years.

markbxr400

Reaction score
I'm wondering how much of this has to do with the severe unavailability of trucks in 2022. My local Ford dealer had virtually no trucks on their lots for nearly 2 years. Now the lot is full again. I just bought my first ever RAM (23 2500 Cummins Rebel). Have bought more than a dozen Fords since 2000. Couldn't bring myself to buy the ugly 23 SuperDuty. Had been wanting to try the Cummins for several years, and the 23 Fords ugliness made it happen this time.

UglyViking

Reaction score
The sales numbers and jumps are surely due to issues with covid. This time last year we were at the tail end of the chip shortage, and this year RAM had a stopsale for some time. Covid numbers are being looked at as "a normal year" and it's anything but normal.
Overall though, RAM was a market leader with their interior upgrades, and now that Ford and GM have stepped their game up, and RAM has become insanely proud of their trucks (via pricing), I think RAM has seriously lost their advantage.

Fishdip

Reaction score
My experience talking to truck owners at campgrounds, etc. indicates there may be another contributing factor although likely smaller compared to truck options available. GMC owners seem universally happy with their dealer's after the sale service. Ram owners seem almost universally frustrated with Ram service departments.
This truck was over heating burning smells and was randomly high idling. Not a single dealer in 3 different states would get it in. Had to deal with it for almost 2 months.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
The Ford CCSB is roughly 2.5' larger than the CCSB Ram, and it's in no small part due to that larger cab/wheelbase.
2.5 feet? As in 30 inches? Got any pictures comparing the two? Seems like a LOT.

UglyViking

Reaction score
2.5 feet? As in 30 inches? Got any pictures comparing the two? Seems like a LOT.
I don't have any pictures of the trucks in action, but you can see the data yourself. For whatever reason Ford doesn't have their turning radius or diameter listed on any of the spec sheets for 2023, at least that I've been able to find, and nothing on their website.

I was able to pull the data on the 2023 models from C&D.

2023 Ram 3500 Laramie, 4WD, CC SB (link to C&D)
Turning Diameter: 47.7'
Turning Radius: 23.85' (Ram lists as 23.8', link)

2023 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4WD, CC SB (link to C&D)
Turning Diameter: 53'
Turning Radius: 26.5'

Difference between two "identical" models: 2.65'. So if anything, I was actually giving the the Ford about 2" less than it's listed. Ford also seems to have some different numbers listed online in other sites (the same number and a sometimes larger number), which I believe may be due to wheel offset on certain models, but I assume that may be similar to the Ram, so I used the smallest number I could find for the Ford.

Keep in mind that the Ram 3500 has a wheelbase of 149.5' (according to Ram) and the Ford F-350 has a wheelbase of 164.1' (according to Ford) so that is a difference of 14.6" (~1.22'). Wheelbase has a pretty large impact on turning radius along with the front axle obviously.

If you are able to find additional information that states otherwise please share, again this is only data I've been able to pull not from Ford, so I'm willing (and somewhat hopeful) I'm wrong here.

silver billet

Reaction score
Nice to see GM still kicking Ford's butt for the 4th year in a row.

Ram needs to update their trucks as they're starting to fall behind.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I don't have any pictures of the trucks in action, but you can see the data yourself. For whatever reason Ford doesn't have their turning radius or diameter listed on any of the spec sheets for 2023, at least that I've been able to find, and nothing on their website.

Difference between two "identical" models: 2.65'. So if anything, I was actually giving the the Ford about 2" less than it's listed. Ford also seems to have some different numbers listed online in other sites (the same number and a sometimes larger number), which I believe may be due to wheel offset on certain models, but I assume that may be similar to the Ram, so I used the smallest number I could find for the Ford.

Keep in mind that the Ram 3500 has a wheelbase of 149.5' (according to Ram) and the Ford F-350 has a wheelbase of 164.1' (according to Ford) so that is a difference of 14.6" (~1.22'). Wheelbase has a pretty large impact on turning radius along with the front axle obviously.

If you are able to find additional information that states otherwise please share, again this is only data I've been able to pull not from Ford, so I'm willing (and somewhat hopeful) I'm wrong here.
Sorry, we were all crossed up. It wasn't until your reply to me that I realized you were talking about turning radius. Go re-read your original post on the subject. You just said one was 2.5ft larger than the other, not 2.5ft larger turning radiuis, LOL! No problems! Carry on.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Sorry, we were all crossed up. It wasn't until your reply to me that I realized you were talking about turning radius. Go re-read your original post on the subject. You just said one was 2.5ft larger than the other, not 2.5ft larger turning radiuis, LOL! No problems! Carry on.
Good catch! I updated the post to clarify.

Needless to say, if you do find anything that states the Ford turning radius is better than expected, please let me know!

silver billet

Reaction score

I don't know the numbers, but the Ford F450 has an amazing turning radius, the one with the wide front axle.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I don't know the numbers, but the Ford F450 has an amazing turning radius, the one with the wide front axle.
I didn't include the 4500/5500+ series trucks, because you're right that they have a better turning radius than even the 3500 DRW. That said, they are a different class and it's not fair to compare across like that. I'd never compare a Toyota Tacomas turning radius to an F-150 and call it fair, but a F-150 and a Ram 1500 is fair. Similarly the 2500 and 3500 trucks since they are equivalent.

Not saying you're making that argument, but just sharing for the sake or comparison.

silver billet

Reaction score
I didn't include the 4500/5500+ series trucks, because you're right that they have a better turning radius than even the 3500 DRW. That said, they are a different class and it's not fair to compare across like that. I'd never compare a Toyota Tacomas turning radius to an F-150 and call it fair, but a F-150 and a Ram 1500 is fair. Similarly the 2500 and 3500 trucks since they are equivalent.

Not saying you're making that argument, but just sharing for the sake or comparison.

Ford does things differently, the F450 is basically the same as an F350; the one gives you "max tow" and the other gives you "max haul".

At least that's my understanding of it.

Dave01

Reaction score
When I was still looking at GM Duramax's before I decided to go Ram 6.4, I was only looking at up to 2019 because in 2020 the GM's had grown so much longer, I don't remember exact numbers but quite a bit longer than the 2019. As a DD I'm parking in so many places that I just don't want or need that extra length.

jerad

Reaction score
I shopped the new 2024 Silverado 2500 LT trim pretty hard before choosing my 23 Ram 2500. Chevy has some options found in trucks that MSRP for almost $10k less than my Ram 2500.
Adaptive Cruise Control​
Bed Lighting​
Lane Departure​
Remote tailgate release/inside button release​
Just to name a few things, I'm sure there others I just can't think of them right now.
The new 10speed 6.6L gas setup was very impressive. Yes, its less HP than the Hemi 6.4 but has more torque.

Ram got my business for many reasons, though some may seem ridiculous.
Styling​
Familiarity​
Power telescoping towing mirrors, power convex/blind spot mirror.​
Fits in my garage!! (big selling point)​
The Chevy's are longer than the rams. I didn't feel like the cab was any bigger but their short bed is almost 7ft long compared to the 6.4ft on the Rams. I'm not keeping a $65K+ truck outside if I can help it.

Chevy are not negotiating much at all off MSRP, you're lucky if its even $500. Ram took 11% off my MSRP, putting me in the same price point. But if you look at just sticker prices, Ram is pricing themselves out, just my opinion anyway.

WXman

Reaction score
Once again Q3 2023 Ram Trucks is the *only* brand in the U.S. showing decreasing sales. *Every* other brand, including Nissan, is showing growth.

How many sales do they have to lose before they wake up and realize they need to heavily update their ancient trucks? Even the 5th Gen trucks are five years old now, let alone the 4.5 Gen HD trucks which are still using 2000s era cabs, old frames, and one old gas engine option. This is pitiful. :(

Users who are viewing this thread