Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U Connect 5 Radio Presets Keep Disappearing

mountainears

Reaction score
You copy the files to a usb, insert in the truck and it alls you through. Takes a long time. Jimmy posted files for the 12” update recently, read through this thread.

Uconnect 12.0 Update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
You copy the files to a usb, insert in the truck and it alls you through. Takes a long time. Jimmy posted files for the 12” update recently, read through this thread.

Uconnect 12.0 Update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The R1L units we've been talking about don't run the same software as the 8.4w/Nav or 12" units. Thus far the only way I've been able to source R1L updates is at the dealer if they even have them. Additionally with a lot of R1L 2022 trucks also being connected services deleted (at-least in my market) you're stuck going to the dealer for updates at this time since the uConnect download site only works for the 5" uConnect system. This is another reason I ordered up everything to do a 12" swap to get rid of my R1L. The higher sku firmware is much easier to get your hands on.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Yup. Imo RAM screwed up by putting the R1L units in any trucks that have additional packages on them. The only R1L I've encountered that doesn't feel like it's totally full of gremlins is in the plain-jane Lonestar my old man drives. Unlike my Laramie the only camera that truck has is the backup camera and it doesn't have parking sensors, etc.

I suspect it just doesn't have the cpu or memory capacity to handle interfacing with multiple things on the truck and/or Stellantis has done a really piss poor job of optimizing it. Feels exactly like when you try to do too much with a cheapo android device.

Mine really shows its gremlins after I've used the cameras to navigate a tight area, triggered the parking sensors, and then done something with carplay like swap to my wifes phone if she wants to play music. If I don't reboot it once in a while feels exactly like that cheapo android device example with too many apps open. Now the 8.4w/NAV and 12" units I've played with don't seem to be exceptional by any means, but they at-least seem to be up to the task of dealing with simple things like pulling up the cameras when needed and switching back and forth from cayplay without having a stroke every-time you do it.

Riddick

Reaction score
Finally took my truck in to have this looked at while getting some recalls knocked out. The dealer is going to order a new radio since the latest software update did not fix mine. No idea when the radio will show up but I will more than likely postpone install until the new relay for the grid heater recall delivers.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Finally took my truck in to have this looked at while getting some recalls knocked out. The dealer is going to order a new radio since the latest software update did not fix mine. No idea when the radio will show up but I will more than likely postpone install until the new relay for the grid heater recall delivers.
I'll be curious as to when yours finally shows up. I've got a 12" centerstack and bezel sitting in my office closet waiting for the back ordered module to show up that I ordered a few weeks ago. I used to have it on my desk, but I started getting annoyed at not having the damned module lol.

Riddick

Reaction score
I'll be curious as to when yours finally shows up. I've got a 12" centerstack and bezel sitting in my office closet waiting for the back ordered module to show up that I ordered a few weeks ago. I used to have it on my desk, but I started getting annoyed at not having the damned module lol.

My module came in a week after they ordered it, my truck goes in Thursday morning to have it swapped out. For reference this is the 8.4 non nav model.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
My module came in a week after they ordered it, my truck goes in Thursday morning to have it swapped out. For reference this is the 8.4 non nav model.
Yup mine is currently a 8.4 Non Nav. I gave up on it hence the 12" upgrade. Hopefully once I have the module I made the right call and I'm not yelling at that thing all the time too lol....

Riddick

Reaction score
Dealer replaced radio/module on Thursday and everything is holding. I have driven it a few times and no issues to report. The system actually seems more responsive than it was previously. I had the preset/theme issue since my first month of ownership, its great to have the system work as advertised.

Diputs

Reaction score
My presets have stopped resetting since my sirius trial ended. The fm stations have now been holding for a few months. However, now the theme and dark mode keep resetting to the default. 8.4 non nav.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that even with the .145 software I was randomly getting preset reset, and touch screen beep was turning back on. Not often, but a couple of times.

My non-Nav 8.4 did an OTA update last night to .160. Maybe they got it fixed this time.

Last edited:

desertskier

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Mine did the same update yesterday. I already had a service appointment on Wed for the preset issue so I'm still going to take it in and hear what the dealer has to say and also start the documentation process in case they didn't fix it.

Deltron

Reaction score
I’ve noticed that even with the .145 software I was randomly getting preset reset, and touch screen beep was turning back on. Not often, but a couple of times.

My non-Nav 8.4 did an OTA update last night to .160. Maybe they got it fixed this time.
How in the world do you get it to do updates? Mine's still on 141 and says there's no updates. Non-nav too.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My truck updated to .141 the day I bought it, but wouldn’t OTA update to .145. The dealership updated it, and it did the .160 on its own.

desertskier

Reaction score
Just got mine back from the dealer (8.4 non/nav). "Uploaded radio update to USB flash drive. Installed in vehicle and performed radio update. Updated from R141.01.12 to R145.00.15. using WITECH, cleared DTC's, tested OK at this time". Something doesn't add up. It did an OTA update to 160.00.21.00 before I took it in and the display still shows that version. Shouldn't the display show the version they just loaded? Although from my firmware loading days sometimes you had to manually update the version info to a register after you loaded the firmware build.

IMG_1870.jpeg

Deltron

Reaction score
Likely it will not downgrade the version and the tech didn't note it.

I wonder where I can get the 145 file so mine will start updating?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Just got mine back from the dealer (8.4 non/nav). "Uploaded radio update to USB flash drive. Installed in vehicle and performed radio update. Updated from R141.01.12 to R145.00.15. using WITECH, cleared DTC's, tested OK at this time". Something doesn't add up. It did an OTA update to 160.00.21.00 before I took it in and the display still shows that version. Shouldn't the display show the version they just loaded? Although from my firmware loading days sometimes you had to manually update the version info to a register after you loaded the firmware build.

View attachment 56200
Time to call that dealership out, they didn’t do anything.

desertskier

Reaction score
Time to call that dealership out, they didn’t do anything.
Agreed. Tech either lied or was an idiot. Hopefully he didn't screw up what was already loaded. Prior to the OTA 160 update the presets would clear multiple times a day. Will report back after driving it this weekend.

desertskier

Reaction score
The presets appear to be working. This is the longest they have stayed programmed since I've owned the truck. Either the OTA 160 update helped or the dealer did something. I expect it was the 160 update.

BigDaddyKong

Reaction score
There was an update that went out the end of last week. When I hit what's new, it was blank. Did anyone else get the same thing?

Users who are viewing this thread