Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck unsettled, rocks side to side over bumps - King 2.5 level kit

phatboy64

Reaction score
Get this and all you need is the tank and nitrogen. Seems cheaper and easer then taking them off and sending them in.

6FAC193B-C6BE-4795-BE8B-CFDDF5A9351D.jpeg

Wilder

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought we were talking about a more invasive rebuild than just adding nitrogen. I doubt that adding nitrogen is going to make the shock act substantially differently than adding air, at least in the short term.

I thought we were talking about replacing seals, bushings, and oil inside the shock

MtnRider

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought we were talking about a more invasive rebuild than just adding nitrogen. I doubt that adding nitrogen is going to make the shock act substantially differently than adding air, at least in the short term.

I thought we were talking about replacing seals, bushings, and oil inside the shock

At this point it's just going to leak out again, but yes it will act the same until it leaks out.. You are going to need it rebuilt to stop that. But having air in it could cause corrosion vs dry nitrogen.

Wilder

Reaction score
At this point it's just going to leak out again, but yes it will act the same until it leaks out.. You are going to need it rebuilt to stop that. But having air in it could cause corrosion vs dry nitrogen.

and seeing that I can't find a shock rebuild shop near me, I suppose I am trying to figure out if it is realistic to rebuild these myself, and if yes, what do I need to replace? seals and oil?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
and seeing that I can't find a shock rebuild shop near me, I suppose I am trying to figure out if it is realistic to rebuild these myself, and if yes, what do I need to replace? seals and oil?
Easy to rebuild if you have some skills and decent tools

Wilder

Reaction score
Easy to rebuild if you have some skills and decent tools

I think I am going to try and do that. I checked the shock psi today and the rears were back down to near zero, they definitely need a rebuild.

Last edited:

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Look for shops that service dirtbikes, maybe? I had one of the guys who does shocks here at Shelby do my Foxes twice in ~30k, then gave up and sold the truck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I think I am going to try and do that. I checked the shock psi today and the rears were back down to near zero, they definitely need a rebuild.
Check the king site im sure there are rebuild instructions or at least a parts blow up where you can see how they are assembled

phatboy64

Reaction score
There are tons of videos out there that show you how.

BikePilot

Reaction score
The sad fact is that I can't find anyone willing to touch these in Maine, NH, or northern mass. Rather than shipping them out (at high cost) and renting a vehicle while they are in service, The only real option i see is to get new ones and scrap these.

I see you can order seal kits, has anyone tried to rebuild these themselves?
I'd try calling King and email Thuren to see if either know of a local rebuilder. Otherwise a motocross suspension shop should be able to figure it out. I think Factory Connection has a location in NH. Not sure if that's close enough to you. I'd guess that they could do it. These kings are really similar to a rear motocross shock.

Wilder

Reaction score
Been listening to several videos about King shock rebuilds, seems the most common reason these lose pressure is leaks at the schrader valve that is used to fill them. Before rebuilding, I will try replacing the valve core and filling them again.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Been listening to several videos about King shock rebuilds, seems the most common reason these lose pressure is leaks at the schrader valve that is used to fill them. Before rebuilding, I will try replacing the valve core and filling them again.
Fill em a bit with air then spray with soapy water see where the leak is actually coming from

Wilder

Reaction score
I replaced the valve cores and tried filling them with air, then applied soapy water to look for the source of the leak. They're leaking out the reservoir rear seals quite quickly.

Both rears leak very quickly, the front shocks hold air perfectly though.

Attachments

• PXL_20231006_003613324.jpg
    PXL_20231006_003613324.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 14

phatboy64

Reaction score
That seems like an easy rebuild but I know nothing about rebuilding those shocks. That said… what a pain in the ass… It seems that unless someone really “needs” these $3000.00 King shocks they would be better off with some of the other options. Just my two cents.

Wilder

Reaction score
That seems like an easy rebuild but I know nothing about rebuilding those shocks. That said… what a pain in the ass… It seems that unless someone really “needs” these $3000.00 King shocks they would be better off with some of the other options. Just my two cents.
I ran fox on my previous truck (gm) and put over 100k on with no issues, at least no issues with handling that were this noticable.

One thing of note is these were built in 2022 when everything, including rubber was in shortage. I wonder if they had to use and alternate o ring that wasn't up to the task.

phatboy64

Reaction score
I ran fox on my previous truck (gm) and put over 100k on with no issues, at least no issues with handling that were this noticable.

One thing of note is these were built in 2022 when everything, including rubber was in shortage. I wonder if they had to use and alternate o ring that wasn't up to the task.
Good point..and possible rushing to build them to fill possible back orders.
I have the Fox 2.0 backcountry shocks on my 2023 3500, I ran Bilistin 5100’s on my 2014 3500 and had no issues with over 100k as well…

There is an off-road shop in Aubern Ma, Rock and Road Outfitters, they may be able to rebuild those Kings. If it is not too far I would give them a call.

Bajaboy7

Reaction score
I replaced the valve cores and tried filling them with air, then applied soapy water to look for the source of the leak. They're leaking out the reservoir rear seals quite quickly.

Both rears leak very quickly, the front shocks hold air perfectly though.
Stopping the leaks will not solve your issue. The pressure in the shock has very little to do with the dampening. You have lost dampening because your shocks are worn out. IF there is any oil left in them I bet it is a silvery flaky mess and I can guarantee your piston wear bands are completely worn out and causing damage to the shock body.

As far as rebuilding them yourself, that is fairly easy with the proper supplies. The shocks are a little bit more complicated than a hydraulic ram like you would find on a wood splitter. There are a ton of mom and pop shops on the west coast that get you set up with rebuild parts. Kartek, McKenzies, Shock seals.com, and call King directly. These places will help get you what you need and provide as much support as they can. Also racedezert.com has an awesome forum with members very willing to help. Obviously, I don't know you or your skillset but I would consider them easy to do as long as you're detail oriented and extremely clean.

firemansdiesel

Reaction score

Seals and oil get wear over time along with loss of nitrogen. Race/prerunner shocks (Fox, Kings, ADS, Icon, Swayaways, etc) are a maintenace item. One could say they never had issues with thier shocks over numerous miles on them, but I guarantee that there is a diffrence in function/ride from new or rebuilt to a non rebuilt with numerous miles on them.
There are videos out there how to rebuild or call King and get a shop near you they may recommend if you don’t know.

Users who are viewing this thread