Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck TPMS with no sensors present

gprguy

Reaction score
This is probably a question for @Jimmy07 but I thought I'd ask it here in case it's useful to anyone else in the future..

I have a 2022 4500 chassis cab, which means it doesn't come with any truck tire pressure sensors (TPIS or TPMS).

With AlfaOBD, I enabled TPMS - "VehConfig 3: Premium TPM System Present: Yes".

That worked, and I now have the TPMS screen in the EVIC and all. However I don't have any tire sensors (as far as I know), so on startup I get this warning message:

IMG_5111.jpeg

Does anyone know if this is only due to it not detecting any tire sensors? I hope that is the case, but I don't want to go through the trouble of getting the valve stems replaced and find out that I am missing some module or receiver in the truck. Jimmy I know you already said that all trucks have the receiver hardware built in, I'm not doubting you - just double checking as I don't know the last time they built 2500/3500's without either TPMS or TPIS. Or if they ever built a 4.5 gen non-chassis cab without those..

gprguy

Reaction score
Looks like I will have to risk it and add some sensors. I'll probably just do the front wheels for the start and see if that works.

bernardogrady

Reaction score
Looks like I will have to risk it and add some sensors. I'll probably just do the front wheels for the start and see if that works.
I'm going through the same thing right now but with a 2023 3500 Limited Cab and Chassis. I just got aftermarket wheels and had them add the sensors to the wheels (aftermarket) and i enabled the TPIS with AlfaOBD. I get the same message as you and it won't pick up the sensors. The tire shop said they could swap them to OEM sensors if thats the issue but i don't want them to do that only to find it was something else. I did find a spot in AlfaOBD to enter the ID code for each sensor into each location but i don't know the code for each sensor. I may ask the tire shop to give me the code for each sensor and try that next. I'm hoping its just having trouble reading them for the first time or not going into a learn mode or something.

gprguy

Reaction score
Interesting, I'm not sure if that'd be a truck issue or sensor issue either.

I've decided I'm going to order some factory sensors for the inside duals as a test, but it's low on my priority list. My inside duals are steel so I'm a little less concerned about slipping and scratching one with my bead breaker.

I'll definitely update with what I find once I get back around to it.

bernardogrady

Reaction score
Interesting, I'm not sure if that'd be a truck issue or sensor issue either.

I've decided I'm going to order some factory sensors for the inside duals as a test, but it's low on my priority list. My inside duals are steel so I'm a little less concerned about slipping and scratching one with my bead breaker.

I'll definitely update with what I find once I get back around to it.
I will report back what I learn as well. I have also seen somewhere that a guy had problems getting his truck to find the sensors unless he had all 6 installed. I think he was putting a super single setup on the back and was trying to eliminate two sensors and the system was not liking it.

gprguy

Reaction score
Yep it was. Dug up this post that may be relevant to you.

I know earlier in the thread he was considering putting two sensors in each of his rear super singles to get past that problem, I'm still digging to see if he actually did. Not that it would matter long term for me, but it'd help me with my test.

gprguy

Reaction score
Found the answer - he tested with just the stock fronts and stock rear outers, no inners installed, and it worked fine. So the issue wasn't less than 6 sensors, it was that the aftermarket sensors just didn't work. He put the stock sensors in the super singles and they were fine.

bernardogrady

Reaction score
Found the answer - he tested with just the stock fronts and stock rear outers, no inners installed, and it worked fine. So the issue wasn't less than 6 sensors, it was that the aftermarket sensors just didn't work. He put the stock sensors in the super singles and they were fine.
So it may be that I need to put OEM sensors in. First I'm going to see if I can manually enter the code for each one and get it to pick them up.

Users who are viewing this thread