Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer TPMS not pairing

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded the 2021 manual before I got the truck and read it three times and didn't see that restriction. I just checked my paper manual that came with the truck as well as the one I downloaded and no mention of a 30 foot restriction. It does say, that the system supports trailer with up to 12 tires. Any trailer with 12 tires is probably longer than 30 feet. Regardless, given that the problem is a range issue, the owner is left with few options to get the system to work properly. Shorter trailer or extend the receiver closer to the trailer axles.

I have no way of knowing when/if it was updated, but it's on page 248, under system limitations, of the 2021 manual available for download at Ram's website. I know I read it before ordering my 2022, which was ordered on 12/24/21.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I have no way of knowing when/if it was updated, but it's on page 248, under system limitations, of the 2021 manual available for download at Ram's website. I know I read it before ordering my 2022, which was ordered on 12/24/21.
Must have been updated after my manual was printed and after I downloaded the on line version. I assume that Chyrsler updated the manuals due to customer complaints. Sort of like the lug nut torque on dually trucks. I ordered my truck a year prior to you.

fly6

Reaction score
Can you give more details please? I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer, but do you need to drag the trailer in too? I would never leave my trailer sitting in a dealer lot, especially overnight. So that might be a show stopper for me.
Yes a fifth wheel trailer. It was at the dealer for two days Still caould notmake the system work

jebruns

Reaction score
That is what my dealer wanted me to do. Plus my trailer is the size of a semi. I messed with this issue for almost a year. It was a range issue. The tire sensors just don't have enough range to reliably connect to the receiver. I ended up putting the receiver module just in front of the trailer axles connected with an extension cable. Ram obviously didn't test the system thoroughly before putting it on the trucks.
Thanks. I don't think range is my issue. My trailer is 23' bumper pull with the Vee nose, dual axle. And I can pair them successfully with the truck and trailer hooked up. It just forgets them almost immediately.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I downloaded the most recent version of the 2021 Owner's Manual from Ram Canada. No mention of limitations. I downloaded theUS version, and the limitations statement regarding 30 foot trailers is there. So you are right. Ram keeps Canadian owners in the dark I guess. :cool: Regardless, water under the bridge and I did come up with a solution; albeit a difficult one. :rolleyes:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded the most recent version of the 2021 Owner's Manual from Ram Canada. No mention of limitations. I downloaded theUS version, and the limitations statement regarding 30 foot trailers is there. So you are right. Ram keeps Canadian owners in the dark I guess. :cool: Regardless, water under the bridge and I did come up with a solution; albeit a difficult one. :rolleyes:

Interesting, too bad eh.

I do like your solution and will keep it in mind if I ever get a longer trailer.

I also wonder if any other TPMS signal boosters would work. I already have a TireMinder one under my rear bumper.

Thanks. I don't think range is my issue. My trailer is 23' bumper pull with the Vee nose, dual axle. And I can pair them successfully with the truck and trailer hooked up. It just forgets them almost immediately.

Are you driving the truck/trailer immediately after pairing? Or shutting it down?

Last edited:

jebruns

Reaction score
Didn't work. I did the pairing, and drove off immediately afterwards. Showed the trailer tire pressure until the first stop 40 miles later. Then this upon restart:

Attachments

• 20231012_120427.jpg
    20231012_120427.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 26

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't work. I did the pairing, and drove off immediately afterwards. Showed the trailer tire pressure until the first stop 40 miles later. Then this upon restart:

Bummer.

What radio do you have? And does it have the latest software?

jebruns

Reaction score
It is the uConnect 5 12" radio. Yes, latest SW.

Really not sure what to do about this. I will NOT leave my enclosed trailer sitting in a dealers lot overnight, let alone days on end. They are just too easy to break into/steal, and I have a lot of stuff in there. It got broken into 10 years or so ago, and insurance payout just on contents was over $15K. But I hate that a major safety feature is not working. Frustrating.

CdnHO

Reaction score
It is unfortunate that such a great option has turned out to be a dud. I was at least able to make it work by relocating the receiver to the trailer axles. My 21 at least retained the pressures. Sound like the 22s won't even retain the them. I have filed a complaint with both the NHTSA and Transport Canada as I really believe it is a safety issue. Not that I am holding my breath on the government making Ram do anything about it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It is unfortunate that such a great option has turned out to be a dud. I was at least able to make it work by relocating the receiver to the trailer axles. My 21 at least retained the pressures. Sound like the 22s won't even retain the them. I have filed a complaint with both the NHTSA and Transport Canada as I really believe it is a safety issue. Not that I am holding my breath on the government making Ram do anything about it.

Just to clairify, my '22 has been flawless with TTPMS. Fast pairing and no issue since. I do have the 8.4 w/out NAV, so maybe that's part of it.

jebruns

Reaction score
I updated to the newest U5 software (27.46) yesterday from a thumb drive. Took 10 minutes or so. I was pulling my trailer while it was updating. Once the update got done, the trailer tire pressures appeared on my EVIC. I didn't even have to re-pair them. Time will tell, but I'm hopeful that fixes it for good.

Last edited:

jebruns

Reaction score
I updated to the newest U5 software (27.46) yesterday from a thumb drive. Took 10 minutes or so. I was pulling my trailer while it was updating. Once the update got done, the trailer tire pressures appeared on my EVIC. I didn't even have to re-pair them. Time will tell, but I'm hopeful that fixes it for good.
Didn't last. Next time I started the truck, same issue.

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I tow a 44’ fifth wheel toyhauler with triple axles, once I get the screen setup the sensors all stay paired except the right rear axle which sometimes drops out but usually comes back after a few miles.

jebruns

Reaction score
I know I need to do a factory reset on my 12" screen to see if that will help on this new SW release. But it's hard for me to set aside the time to make that happen. I have to take pictures of all the setting screens first, do the reset and then crawl through the pictures to get the settings back. Maybe have to relink XM too? Hard to put a high priority on that, but I will get it done.

Reaction score
I based my response based upon my actual experience. I tried 3-5 psi, but never got a single horn beep. I had read where others had similar issues, and needed to go as high as 10-15 psi change. By continuing letting pressure out, I was able to pair all tires. I don't know why some of us have different experiences, maybe it's dependent on the trailer length and composition. Once I was towing my trailer, all of the tire values populated the screen ok. So I have a no issues/problems with the current setup. My post was just my experience with the setup.
When I built my truck, I ordered this option so that I could get rid of my dash/windshield mounted TPMS. I'm going on a long trip later the month and am looking forward to how it performs.
I wish we had the flexibility of adding a Spare/5th to a 4 tire system. I would also like to have seen the sensors monitor sense temperatures.
I bought an extra sensor and do have one in my trailer spare (5 trailer tires total). However, it only becomes active when I rotate my trailer tires and have to re-pair all the sensors again to get their positions to be accurate in U Connect 5 / dash. As another person commented, my system also defaults to 50 psi for the trailer tires. It forgets my 80 psi point every time I disconnect and reconnect the trailer, or perhaps after every engine shut off.

Users who are viewing this thread