Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer TPMS not pairing

AdventureAwaits

Reaction score
Just had trailer tpms sensors that came with my 2023 RAM 2500 installed and cannot seem to pair them with the truck. I can get to the part where the truck is searching but no sensor is found. Watched several videos on youtube but nothing worked. Is the truck reading the sensors from near the tailgate ? I did have the truck pulled forward thinking they may be in the dash. Please help...

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
Mine randomly work or not as they please. I think I ended up parking the truck next to the trailer to pair. The truck receiver is behind the rear bumper.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure of the differences between models, but I paired mine today and it couldn’t have gone any faster or easier. This was on my 5th wheel and it was hitched up at the time.

How much air did you let out of the tires in the process? Mine deflated faster than anticipated, so they dropped about 6-7 psi on average.

The instructions on the UConnect were easy to follow and the truck honked at each tire before I could get the valve stem cap installed again.

The valve stems are a bit long thou, WTF Ram.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Just had trailer tpms sensors that came with my 2023 RAM 2500 installed and cannot seem to pair them with the truck. I can get to the part where the truck is searching but no sensor is found. Watched several videos on youtube but nothing worked. Is the truck reading the sensors from near the tailgate ? I did have the truck pulled forward thinking they may be in the dash. Please help...
The TTPMS receiver is in the rear bumper to the left of the license plate. I will be the first to admit that the system leaves much to be desired.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I installed the TTPMS myself on my 2019, followed the pairing directions in the Trailer Menu of the radio and they paired right up...

Drew M

Reaction score
The instructions are decent, but can be improved. When it tells you to lower the pressure 5 psi, I found I needed to lower closer to 10-15. Once I realized this, it was pretty quick and easy. As you lower the pressure and the truck finds the sensors, the horn will beep once. You have enough time to check the display, then move on to the next tire.
My target is 65 psi, but seems to default back to 50 psi. I don't know why this occurs.
After you power off the truck, the values will clear. Don't worry. Once you hook up and move the trailer, it picks up the pressures.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The instructions are decent, but can be improved. When it tells you to lower the pressure 5 psi, I found I needed to lower closer to 10-15. Once I realized this, it was pretty quick and easy. As you lower the pressure and the truck finds the sensors, the horn will beep once. You have enough time to check the display, then move on to the next tire.
My target is 65 psi, but seems to default back to 50 psi. I don't know why this occurs.
After you power off the truck, the values will clear. Don't worry. Once you hook up and move the trailer, it picks up the pressures.

I didn’t have the same experience. The instructions were very clear and worked perfectly. I can’t think of any way to improve the instructions. I had a couple tires pair before 5 psi was release, probably only 3 psi.

My current target is 75 psi and it hasn’t changed after dozens of restarts, to include restarts with and without the trailer.

Why did you feel like you need to drop 10-15 psi? How long did you want after the initial 5 psi drop before continuing?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I didn’t have the same experience. The instructions were very clear and worked perfectly. I can’t think of any way to improve the instructions. I had a couple tires pair before 5 psi was release, probably only 3 psi.

My current target is 75 psi and it hasn’t changed after dozens of restarts, to include restarts with and without the trailer.

Why did you feel like you need to drop 10-15 psi? How long did you want after the initial 5 psi drop before continuing?

Same experience... I let out very little air before the they paired nor have my settings changed.

Drew M

Reaction score
I based my response based upon my actual experience. I tried 3-5 psi, but never got a single horn beep. I had read where others had similar issues, and needed to go as high as 10-15 psi change. By continuing letting pressure out, I was able to pair all tires. I don't know why some of us have different experiences, maybe it's dependent on the trailer length and composition. Once I was towing my trailer, all of the tire values populated the screen ok. So I have a no issues/problems with the current setup. My post was just my experience with the setup.
When I built my truck, I ordered this option so that I could get rid of my dash/windshield mounted TPMS. I'm going on a long trip later the month and am looking forward to how it performs.
I wish we had the flexibility of adding a Spare/5th to a 4 tire system. I would also like to have seen the sensors monitor sense temperatures.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I based my response based upon my actual experience. I tried 3-5 psi, but never got a single horn beep. I had read where others had similar issues, and needed to go as high as 10-15 psi change. By continuing letting pressure out, I was able to pair all tires. I don't know why some of us have different experiences, maybe it's dependent on the trailer length and composition. Once I was towing my trailer, all of the tire values populated the screen ok. So I have a no issues/problems with the current setup. My post was just my experience with the setup.
When I built my truck, I ordered this option so that I could get rid of my dash/windshield mounted TPMS. I'm going on a long trip later the month and am looking forward to how it performs.
I wish we had the flexibility of adding a Spare/5th to a 4 tire system. I would also like to have seen the sensors monitor sense temperatures.
You could configure the trailer for three axles and just add the spare sensor to the third axle. Did that with a Pressure Pro system that I used on my old truck.

Drew M

Reaction score
You could configure the trailer for three axles and just add the spare sensor to the third axle. Did that with a Pressure Pro system that I used on my old truck.
Thanks, I thought of that too. Being it's just the spare, I might just use one of my TST sensors and monitor it as needed.

jebruns

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with my 22 Ltd Longhorn 2500 forgetting the TTPMS's. I'd installed and paired my sensors when I got my new truck a year ago and figured it was saved. Nope, all settings were gone when I checked last week. So I re-paired them before pulling my trailer. All worked fine as far as pairing, but the info was gone again a few hours later when I started the pull. Has anyone had this setting stick? Going to have to start a warranty claim, I guess.

I do 10psi when I pair just to make sure it works. Not much more work to pump them back up.

Last edited:

fly6

Reaction score
After several trips to the dealer and changing out the radio taking year to of time my trailer pressure system still does not work. Very disapointed with Ram

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
After several trips to the dealer and changing out the radio taking year to of time my trailer pressure system still does not work. Very disapointed with Ram

What radio do you have?

jebruns

Reaction score
Can you give more details please? I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer, but do you need to drag the trailer in too? I would never leave my trailer sitting in a dealer lot, especially overnight. So that might be a show stopper for me.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Can you give more details please? I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer, but do you need to drag the trailer in too? I would never leave my trailer sitting in a dealer lot, especially overnight. So that might be a show stopper for me.
That is what my dealer wanted me to do. Plus my trailer is the size of a semi. I messed with this issue for almost a year. It was a range issue. The tire sensors just don't have enough range to reliably connect to the receiver. I ended up putting the receiver module just in front of the trailer axles connected with an extension cable. Ram obviously didn't test the system thoroughly before putting it on the trucks.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
That is what my dealer wanted me to do. Plus my trailer is the size of a semi. I messed with this issue for almost a year. It was a range issue. The tire sensors just don't have enough range to reliably connect to the receiver. I ended up putting the receiver module just in front of the trailer axles connected with an extension cable. Ram obviously didn't test the system thoroughly before putting it on the trucks.

How long is your trailer? The Ram data says it's not really designed for trailers longer than 30'. No issues with my 31' 5th wheel, but a 30' bumper pull may be different.

CdnHO

Reaction score
How long is your trailer? The Ram data says it's not really designed for trailers longer than 30'. No issues with my 31' 5th wheel, but a 30' bumper pull may be different.
Trailer is a 40 foot fifth wheel. Back bumper of the truck to trailer axle is around 20 feet. Nowhere did I read where the TTPMS was only good for 30 foot trailers. Certainly not before i ordered the truck. My issues was that the sensors kept dropping out randomly. Installing the receiver module just in front of the trailer axle fixed the issue entirely. Solid readings at all times now.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Trailer is a 40 foot fifth wheel. Back bumper of the truck to trailer axle is around 20 feet. Nowhere did I read where the TTPMS was only good for 30 foot trailers. Certainly not before i ordered the truck. My issues was that the sensors kept dropping out randomly. Installing the receiver module just in front of the trailer axle fixed the issue entirely. Solid readings at all times now.

I have seen the note about 30' in the owners manual, and I think somewhere else.. but the owners manual for sure.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I have seen the note about 30' in the owners manual, and I think somewhere else.. but the owners manual for sure.
I downloaded the 2021 manual before I got the truck and read it three times and didn't see that restriction. I just checked my paper manual that came with the truck as well as the one I downloaded and no mention of a 30 foot restriction. It does say, that the system supports trailer with up to 12 tires. Any trailer with 12 tires is probably longer than 30 feet. Regardless, given that the problem is a range issue, the owner is left with few options to get the system to work properly. Shorter trailer or extend the receiver closer to the trailer axles.

Users who are viewing this thread