Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS (TIS) sensors for trailer (SOLVED - see 1st post) aka TTPMS - Trailer TPMS

ebtksutton

Reaction score
Did you order the parts shown in post #1?

The TIM is in the headliner rear passenger side near the back of the cab.

I'm confused if your truck was ordered with the TTPMS and you just couldn't find the rear receiver or you're adding from scratch?

View attachment 50799

Ok, so no I did not order the truck with it (honestly didn’t know it existed).

Going back to the very first post on this thread there is a link to the “instructions” and parts list. The way I read it and I likely could be wrong is the tim was not needed in my truck due to the uconnect 5 screen

All I have done is add the cab and chassis harness extension, the correct bumper receiver…and turned on the option in alfaobd.

So from what your screenshot says I do need the headliner module and the pigtail?

2022 ram 3500 cab and chassis tradesman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ebtksutton

Reaction score
Ok, so no I did not order the truck with it (honestly didn’t know it existed).

Going back to the very first post on this thread there is a link to the “instructions” and parts list. The way I read it and I likely could be wrong is the tim was not needed in my truck due to the uconnect 5 screen

All I have done is add the cab and chassis harness extension, the correct bumper receiver…and turned on the option in alfaobd.

So from what your screenshot says I do need the headliner module and the pigtail?

2022 ram 3500 cab and chassis tradesman

Sweet baby Jesus! I just went back and read the install for the TIM…..and it clearly states I need to install it and the jumper harness guess I know what to order now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Sweet baby Jesus! I just went back and read the install for the TIM…..and it clearly states I need to install it and the jumper harness guess I know what to order now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well hang on, now I seem to recall that someone said the UC5 trucks were coming with the TIM already installed (though that goes against what Ram has been doing for options).

So let's check before you order parts you don't need. If you're up for it, you might want to pull the headliner and look. I imagine it's also possible to "see" the TIM using AlfaOBD.

Anyone have any info on this?

ebtksutton

Reaction score
Well hang on, now I seem to recall that someone said the UC5 trucks were coming with the TIM already installed (though that goes against what Ram has been doing for options).

So let's check before you order parts you don't need. If you're up for it, you might want to pull the headliner and look. I imagine it's also possible to "see" the TIM using AlfaOBD.

I went out just now and pulled the headliner back….I can confirm that I do not have the module or pigtail installed. I have already ordered both…..as soon as they come in I’ll install and try to pair to my trailer! Anything else you can think of that might be a hurdle I need to address?

ebtksutton

Reaction score

You have been extremely helpful on this project thus far….I’m also trying to find more information on this topic….there’s a thread on it…if you have any input could you jump on that thread and toss some knowledge to us?

Adding footwell lighting

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You have been extremely helpful on this project thus far….I’m also trying to find more information on this topic….there’s a thread on it…if you have any input could you jump on that thread and toss some knowledge to us?

Adding footwell lighting

Jimmy is your man, I wouldn't be any help on that thread.

Ryn

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I have to use the MOPAR ttpms sensors? I have the factory trailer monitor system and the sensors can with the truck. Unfortunately the OEM sensors won’t fit the alum wheels on the trailer. The threads are not long enough

Caleyvtwin

Reaction score
I am planning on this install and the 8.4 screen upgrade on my tradesman 2019, does anyone know if the 5" uconnect works with these? even through he terrible menu's it has? I don't mind having to wait for the 8.4 install, just wondering...
Did you get ver get an answer as to weather or not you can install this with the 5” screen?

Caleyvtwin

Reaction score
Question: Does anyone know if the small 3" instrument cluster displays the trailer image with air pressure once this is installed and enabled? Or will i also need to upgrade instrument cluster?
Did you ever get an answer?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I have to use the MOPAR ttpms sensors? I have the factory trailer monitor system and the sensors can with the truck. Unfortunately the OEM sensors won’t fit the alum wheels on the trailer. The threads are not long enough

I believe some have swapped out the stems. Search around here a bit, or like said, check with Nichols.

P.S. If someone has that info, PM me and I can add it to the 1st post parts list.

Ryn

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I will keep you posted on results

Caleyvtwin

Reaction score
Can I add this with the 5” display and the standard gauges or so I have to upgrade? I plan on doing both but I was going to go ahead and do the TPMS first.

stinson87

Reaction score
Did you get ver get an answer as to weather or not you can install this with the 5” screen?
I have not,
I just got my 8.4 4c screen and getting that setup. I'm not sure ill do the TTPMS for a while since I want it on my next RV, although it will be rather useless since I'm going to commercial 245/70r19.5 on the next RV. I really need to monitor temperatures more than pressures, So I may go aftermarket with pressure and temperature.

Caleyvtwin

Reaction score
I have not,
I just got my 8.4 4c screen and getting that setup. I'm not sure ill do the TTPMS for a while since I want it on my next RV, although it will be rather useless since I'm going to commercial 245/70r19.5 on the next RV. I really need to monitor temperatures more than pressures, So I may go aftermarket with pressure and temperature.
I understand your concern on the temperature. Thank you for the reply.

ebtksutton

Reaction score
I believe some have swapped out the stems. Search around here a bit, or like said, check with Nichols.

P.S. If someone has that info, PM me and I can add it to the 1st post parts list.

On my travel trailer I have aluminum rims…..one place I stopped at said they needed parts out of another TPMS kit (Schraeder 20017 kit) I took one tire to a different shop (long story) and they installed with no additional parts……honestly I think it’s about selling extras vs taking care of the customer. I don’t have premium so I can’t post pictures, however if you want them shoot me an email…. Ebtksutton@gmail.com

Pearce

Reaction score
This is Nichols: https://nicholsmanufacturingandweld...-valve-stem-for-tpms-sensor-rim-hole-size-625

But I've read if you machine down the valve stem nut to where the threads start, that then gives you the room to thread it on with thicker aluminum wheels. The threads don't start in the nut for maybe 3/16". Going to test this out before I spend $38 a tire. Or even possibly use a different stem nut from the hardware store.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Since I seem to have a range issue (not all sensors report all the time, I am going to try to come up with a harness to extend the receiver to the trailer close to the axles. Trick will be to find the connectors.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Since I seem to have a range issue (not all sensors report all the time, I am going to try to come up with a harness to extend the receiver to the trailer close to the axles. Trick will be to find the connectors. A repeater that will work with the system would be ideal but the chances of finding one is slim to none.

Users who are viewing this thread