Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS (TIS) sensors for trailer (SOLVED - see 1st post) aka TTPMS - Trailer TPMS

fdreyno

Reaction score
I took possession of my 2022 in February and still don't have the factory installed TTMPS system working with my 303RLS. The dealer doesn't install the stems in the trailer so I took it across the treat to Point-S who charged me $100 to swap them out. (i.e. put in the factory TTPMS sensors). They couldn't get them to pair so I drove the truck and trailer across the street to the dealer. The dealer could get them to pair also (i.e. dropping 5lbs, etc.) until we took the tire off the trailer and wheeled up next to the truck. They then pointed out that my trailer was to long (i.e. 32' and brought out a service bulletin (which I wish I copied) that the TTMP system doesn't work on trailers longer than 25'. My 303RLS is 32 feet but from the back bumper to the tires is less than 25 feet. We paired the tires and I drove off - and it showed that the system is not paired. I then with the trailer unhooked put the truck next to the trailer and paired the tires (as I have seen may others with longer trailers make their systems work). Even after hitting "Finished" the trailer still shows it is not configured. I have called the dealer and talked to them multiple times - asking if there was a repeater, etc. They just told me to get a tireminder system and use it. I told them that was fine but would they (knowing the answer) transfer my sensors from my 303RLS to my 18ft flatbed I use for hay and other hauling. They said no - I asked if they would pay to transfer the sensors from one trailer to the other - of course the answer was no (pretty frustrating as there is no place where it says it won't work on my 5th wheel - distance or otherwise). I provided the dealer with a 5 star rating on the purchase of the truck and now getting to give them a 1 star rating on their service of this system! BTW - the Tireminder system has worked flawlessly for the past couple of months while traveling around the country - I have just for the fun of it try the pairing process again and still doesn't work (pairs with the truck next to the trailer) but doesn't stick after that (or read the sensors while driving down the road).

22limited

Reaction score
I took possession of my 2022 in February and still don't have the factory installed TTMPS system working with my 303RLS. The dealer doesn't install the stems in the trailer so I took it across the treat to Point-S who charged me $100 to swap them out. (i.e. put in the factory TTPMS sensors). They couldn't get them to pair so I drove the truck and trailer across the street to the dealer. The dealer could get them to pair also (i.e. dropping 5lbs, etc.) until we took the tire off the trailer and wheeled up next to the truck. They then pointed out that my trailer was to long (i.e. 32' and brought out a service bulletin (which I wish I copied) that the TTMP system doesn't work on trailers longer than 25'. My 303RLS is 32 feet but from the back bumper to the tires is less than 25 feet. We paired the tires and I drove off - and it showed that the system is not paired. I then with the trailer unhooked put the truck next to the trailer and paired the tires (as I have seen may others with longer trailers make their systems work). Even after hitting "Finished" the trailer still shows it is not configured. I have called the dealer and talked to them multiple times - asking if there was a repeater, etc. They just told me to get a tireminder system and use it. I told them that was fine but would they (knowing the answer) transfer my sensors from my 303RLS to my 18ft flatbed I use for hay and other hauling. They said no - I asked if they would pay to transfer the sensors from one trailer to the other - of course the answer was no (pretty frustrating as there is no place where it says it won't work on my 5th wheel - distance or otherwise). I provided the dealer with a 5 star rating on the purchase of the truck and now getting to give them a 1 star rating on their service of this system! BTW - the Tireminder system has worked flawlessly for the past couple of months while traveling around the country - I have just for the fun of it try the pairing process again and still doesn't work (pairs with the truck next to the trailer) but doesn't stick after that (or read the sensors while driving down the road).
I have a 45’ tow hauler and my sensors work I don’t think the length is a problem.
Try changing to a different trailer in the u connect and then go back to the trailer that the sensors are paired to. I have had to do this in the past. It definitely needs an update to fix this problem, but it has worked for me.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I have a 40 foot fifth wheel. Distance from the receiver in the bumper to the trailer axIes is about 25 feet. I got all my sensors to pair (numerous tries). However at any one time half of the 8 tires are not reading a pressure. The receiver is not getting a signal. In my opinion, the factory system is useless. Now using my old Pressure Pro system. It uses a REPEATER; and works.

steve49

Reaction score
I thought I read on here somewhere that TPMS system is only designed for four trailer tires?

fdreyno

Reaction score
Thanks - I have the latest U-Connect software but will try to switch between trailers once I have it paired. Will need to move the trailer so I can park next to it, let the 5lbs out, wait for the beeps, and hit finish:). Then hook the trailer back up and hit the road so the sensors will be active and hopefully be read by the truck.

Apexbasher

Reaction score
Okay, got the receiver and module boxes installed, easy day. But I am having two major issues at this point:

1) where can I get a set of 4 sensors for my trailer wheels? I am having no luck after multiple orders from multiple suppliers (MOPAR part numbers). They all come back as either 'discontinued' or 'unavailable'. Is there an aftermarket source?

2) cannot seem to get AlfaOBD to connect to my 2019 2500 (had no problem with my 2019 1500 for other projects over the last two years). I have tried both the Windows version (which I have had for a couple of years for use on my old 1500), and the Android version (which I just purchased out of frustration with getting nowhere with the Windows version). Bypass has been installed and the OBDII is the BAFX Wifi unit. I am able to get up to the point where I have to select the body computer 'control unit' and nothing will connect. I tried ALL of them in the list. Nothing. What am I missing here?

Last edited:

TW720HVY

Reaction score
Well, after reading all these posts I believe I am going to take a hard pass on installing the MOPAR TPMS! Just does not seem to be worth aggravation and likely headache.

@Apexbasher, maybe the senors aren't available due to the fact they don't work? Maybe they're being re-engineered? Kind of strange all these aftermarket TPMS systems from Amazon work without issue. Baffling.

steve49

Reaction score
Okay, got the receiver and module boxes installed, easy day. But I am having two major issues at this point:

1) where can I get a set of 4 sensors for my trailer wheels? I am having no luck after multiple orders from multiple suppliers (MOPAR part numbers). They all come back as either 'discontinued' or 'unavailable'. Is there an aftermarket source?

2) cannot seem to get AlfaOBD to connect to my 2019 2500 (had no problem with my 2019 1500 for other projects over the last two years). I have tried both the Windows version (which I have had for a couple of years for use on my old 1500), and the Android version (which I just purchased out of frustration with getting nowhere with the Windows version). Bypass has been installed and the OBDII is the BAFX Wifi unit. I am able to get up to the point where I have to select the body computer 'control unit' and nothing will connect. I tried ALL of them in the list. Nothing. What am I missing here?
I got my TTPMS 68433188AA from Wheeler Fleet https://www.wheelerfleet.com/product/sensor-tpms/978600 a couple years ago, check their site it shows a part number change. They were hard to find along with some of the other items needed, but eventually gathered all the parts and then installed myself. Discount Tire did the sensors in my toy hauler steel wheels. I believe there was a fitment issue in some aluminum wheels, but you'd have to read here on that. Anyway, I copied the instructions from the earlier posts and was really easy to setup. I believe I read here for the 2019 2500 you had to select 2020 2500 in alphaOBD, but I don't remember for sure.

Apexbasher

Reaction score
I got my TTPMS 68433188AA from Wheeler Fleet https://www.wheelerfleet.com/product/sensor-tpms/978600 a couple years ago, check their site it shows a part number change. They were hard to find along with some of the other items needed, but eventually gathered all the parts and then installed myself. Discount Tire did the sensors in my toy hauler steel wheels. I believe there was a fitment issue in some aluminum wheels, but you'd have to read here on that. Anyway, I copied the instructions from the earlier posts and was really easy to setup. I believe I read here for the 2019 2500 you had to select 2020 2500 in alphaOBD, but I don't remember for sure.
Checked your link and it says "TPMS", but not "TTPMS". This makes me wonder of they are the right ones (part number being different and all). Besides that, they only have one.
Got any other insight as to why AlfaOBD is refusing to connect to my body computer? I never had this issue with my old 1500.

steve49

Reaction score
Checked your link and it says "TPMS", but not "TTPMS". This makes me wonder of they are the right ones (part number being different and all). Besides that, they only have one.
Got any other insight as to why AlfaOBD is refusing to connect to my body computer? I never had this issue with my old 1500.
They are the ones I bought, just show a new part number, comes 4 to a kit so one would be a kit of four sensors. Like I said I seem to remember reading here having to use the 2020 BCM rather than 2019 (?), PM Jimmy07 I'm sure he could help you.

TW720HVY

Reaction score
Well, I decided to go with the factory setup, fingers crossed it will work. I will not have the trailer for several weeks so I'll not know until then of everything went smoothly.

I have one question regarding the TIM headliner module: 68404893AB; the mounting holes had metal around them, does the metal need to be in contact with the cab's mental? Reason why I ask, it was loose once mounted, and I folded a small piece of paper towel between the box and metal, I was afraid it would rattle going down the road. Now I am second guessing my idea, and now I am concerned it needs to be in contact with the skin. I did not used the suggested NAPA trim panel clip, and went with the generic flat top with the ribs clips, it's not going anywhere, just rocks a little.

Am I over thinking this? Do I need to used the suggested NAPA clips?

Thanks.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I decided to go with the factory setup, fingers crossed it will work. I will not have the trailer for several weeks so I'll not know until then of everything went smoothly.

I have one question regarding the TIM headliner module: 68404893AB; the mounting holes had metal around them, does the metal need to be in contact with the cab's mental? Reason why I ask, it was loose once mounted, and I folded a small piece of paper towel between the box and metal, I was afraid it would rattle going down the road. Now I am second guessing my idea, and now I am concerned it needs to be in contact with the skin. I did not used the suggested NAPA trim panel clip, and went with the generic flat top with the ribs clips, it's not going anywhere, just rocks a little.

Am I over thinking this? Do I need to used the suggested NAPA clips?

Thanks.
No grounding contact required but if the push pins are small enough to let it rattle, I'd be concerned it would pop off. Napa always had a good selection.

TW720HVY

Reaction score
No grounding contact required but if the push pins are small enough to let it rattle, I'd be concerned it would pop off. Napa always had a good selection.

The pins were the right size and it's locked in place, it had just a little rock to it.

Headliners give me anxiety, maybe I'll track down some NAPA clips, just don't want to get through working with the headliner again only to have it still rock. Decisions!

Thank you for the reply.

edit: ordered the NAPA clips :oops:

Last edited:

cobradvm

Reaction score
First, thank you to all that did all the legwork to figure this all out. Recently I was towing my trailer out of LA and the truck got a rapid puncture of the left rear tire. Fortunately the TPMS system worked perfectly, and I was able to pull off the freeway safely. The tire went almost completely flat within about a minute.

So that made me want to get the trailer TMPS setup installed. I have a 2020 Ram 2500 and the TTPMS was not an option when I ordered the truck. So I bought everything listed in this thread needed to do the install. Once I activated it using alfaOBD it showed up in the EVIC as not being configured. So it appeared to be working. However the option did not show up in UConnect. Having read that sometimes it needs to sit overnight, I wasn't too worried. And sure enough, next morning after going into the trailer brake setup screen, the option to set up the trailer tire pressures was there - yay!

It was pretty straightforward to set it up - drop each tire by 5 psi, wait a couple of minutes and the horn beeps. I have a 24' car trailer with twin axles. And sure enough, the tire pressures were all listed on the EVIC screen.

Unfortunately here's the unfortunate part. It appears the system doesn't hold the information. Once I turned the truck off, and then back on, the system showed two red dashes instead of the tire pressures. I've gone through the setup 3 times, and all with the same result. It works until the truck is turned off, and then you have to set it up all over again.

I know others have had this issue. Has anyone been able to figure out why this happens? Pretty frustrating. Resetting the TTPMS every time you use the trailer is not really a valid option.

Open to any suggestions.

Thanks

CdnHO

Reaction score
First, thank you to all that did all the legwork to figure this all out. Recently I was towing my trailer out of LA and the truck got a rapid puncture of the left rear tire. Fortunately the TPMS system worked perfectly, and I was able to pull off the freeway safely. The tire went almost completely flat within about a minute.

So that made me want to get the trailer TMPS setup installed. I have a 2020 Ram 2500 and the TTPMS was not an option when I ordered the truck. So I bought everything listed in this thread needed to do the install. Once I activated it using alfaOBD it showed up in the EVIC as not being configured. So it appeared to be working. However the option did not show up in UConnect. Having read that sometimes it needs to sit overnight, I wasn't too worried. And sure enough, next morning after going into the trailer brake setup screen, the option to set up the trailer tire pressures was there - yay!

It was pretty straightforward to set it up - drop each tire by 5 psi, wait a couple of minutes and the horn beeps. I have a 24' car trailer with twin axles. And sure enough, the tire pressures were all listed on the EVIC screen.

Unfortunately here's the unfortunate part. It appears the system doesn't hold the information. Once I turned the truck off, and then back on, the system showed two red dashes instead of the tire pressures. I've gone through the setup 3 times, and all with the same result. It works until the truck is turned off, and then you have to set it up all over again.

I know others have had this issue. Has anyone been able to figure out why this happens? Pretty frustrating. Resetting the TTPMS every time you use the trailer is not really a valid option.

Open to any suggestions.

Thanks
The Trailer TPMS system sucks. While after numerous attempts, I did get it to keep the sensor data, the tires drop off the display randomly. No reading, just --. I have no faith in the system at all. I want back to using my old Pressure Pro system which works fine. To me it is a safety issue and plan on filing a report with the NHTSA.

TW720HVY

Reaction score

I received the NAPA 665-3257 pack of 6, they are too big for my truck's holes. Maybe they changed the hole size or diameter of the "push type rivets".

After looking around I found 2 plastic push type fasteners and they worked, and got rid of the slop I had with the flat headed ribbed fasteners.

Fingers now crossed I can get this system to work as designed.

cobradvm

Reaction score
Well, some good news! I had to take the trailer out today to go pick up a car from the race track. So I figured I'd leave the TTPMS screen up on the dash. Lo and behold after less than a quarter mile, all the trailer tire pressures populated the screen! So it appears that the trailer needs to be moving in order to read the tire pressures. Not sure if it's the centrifugal force on the TMPS that gets it to send a reading or something else. If the truck is turned off for a short period of time (5-10 minutes), the tire pressures are still present when it's turned back on. If it sits long (couple of hours) it reverts to the red dashes. However again, as soon as the trailer started moving, one by one the readings would populate.

So again, a huge thanks to the guys that figured this all out. Much appreciated.

20221119_124541.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, some good news! I had to take the trailer out today to go pick up a car from the race track. So I figured I'd leave the TTPMS screen up on the dash. Lo and behold after less than a quarter mile, all the trailer tire pressures populated the screen! So it appears that the trailer needs to be moving in order to read the tire pressures. Not sure if it's the centrifugal force on the TMPS that gets it to send a reading or something else. If the truck is turned off for a short period of time (5-10 minutes), the tire pressures are still present when it's turned back on. If it sits long (couple of hours) it reverts to the red dashes. However again, as soon as the trailer started moving, one by one the readings would populate.

So again, a huge thanks to the guys that figured this all out. Much appreciated.

View attachment 47563

TPMS sensors go to sleep and require movement to wake up. This prolongs battery life.

CdnHO

Reaction score

View attachment 47563
Nice to see someone is happy with the system. I am starting to suspect that the heavy steel dually rims are blocking the signal randomly. I have hunted for a repeater without success.IMG_1686.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread