Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing

JJones

Reaction score
..I am new to this site and to the ram 2500. I just purchased a 2019 ram 2500 6.4 hemi 4x2 3.73 trans. We are looking at getting a 5th wheel so Do you think we will be able to pull it ok? Thanks for your help.........edited below

GVWR on truck is 10000
GVWR on camper is 10995 / dry is 8515
hitch Weight is 1538

Last edited:

geektoad

Reaction score
Dry weight doesn't matter. What's the gvwr of the camper? what's your load sticker in the door jam say?

RB18C

Reaction score
Pin weight is about 20-25%. So on a 10000 pound 5th wheel, your looking around 2K pounds. I’d say you’ll be over your payload a lot faster then you think.

orlando bull

Reaction score
As mentioned above, more info needed (pin weight, GVWR, truck payload from sticker)... having said that... I have a 3500 cummins with a payload of just over 3900lbs... with the 6.4 and 4x2, you probably have a payload in the range 3500lbs. If you assume you're going to add 1500# of stuff for a total of around 12,300# @ 25%, you would have a pin weight of 3,075, at 20%, it's 2,460. One of those is probably right at your payload depending on your size and what you keep in the truck, the other probably leaves you plenty of room to work with. Depends on how the RV is loaded, and the initial weight distribution.

My gut feeling is that you'd be OK, but, probably have to plan your loads out to avoid going over your payload (if that kind of thing bothers you).

From a power standpoint and real world towing.... yes, your truck will tow it. The gas engines are going to run at higher RPMs than a cummins, but, that's how it is designed to work.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you cross-posted (that's why we don't do that), please look at the other thread for my response.

JJones

Reaction score
As mentioned above, more info needed (pin weight, GVWR, truck payload from sticker)... having said that... I have a 3500 cummins with a payload of just over 3900lbs... with the 6.4 and 4x2, you probably have a payload in the range 3500lbs. If you assume you're going to add 1500# of stuff for a total of around 12,300# @ 25%, you would have a pin weight of 3,075, at 20%, it's 2,460. One of those is probably right at your payload depending on your size and what you keep in the truck, the other probably leaves you plenty of room to work with. Depends on how the RV is loaded, and the initial weight distribution.

My gut feeling is that you'd be OK, but, probably have to plan your loads out to avoid going over your payload (if that kind of thing bothers you).

From a power standpoint and real world towing.... yes, your truck will tow it. The gas engines are going to run at higher RPMs than a cummins, but, that's how it is designed to work.
here are the numbers....thanks for you help
GVWR on truck is 10000
GVWR on camper is 10995 / dry is 8515
hitch Weight is 1538

JJones

Reaction score

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Click on the below link, find the Look Up My vehicle tab, top right hand of page. Enter your VIN and it will tell you cargo and tow capacity for your specific truck

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
JJones - I have a similar equipped vehicle but with 4wd. Mine has a cargo cap of 2931 lbs and tow cap of 14431 lbs, I’m only guessing but your truck will probably be close in capabilities. Given you have a 2wd you’re lighter so you’ll have a little more cargo cap. You should be ok given the pin weight for the 5th wheel isn‘t very heavy. As mentioned above the Hemi will tow it but will rev a little higher. As an example, using guesstimate numbers...
3000 lb cargo capacity
- 1538 pin weight
—————————
1462 lbs remaining for people and gear.

You really should get the exact specs for truck and trailer so you know for sure. I think most RV manufacturers underweight their trailers. Each one has to be individually weighed and a sticker placed in the door. You’ve found the right place where a bunch of guys are willing to help and a great resource for answers. You’re doing the right thing by coming here and asking good questions - welcome to the site.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Click on the below link, find the Look Up My vehicle tab, top right hand of page. Enter your VIN and it will tell you cargo and tow capacity for your specific truck

Nope... that # will very likely be incorrect... lots of folks have tried it and more often than not it is wrong.
He needs to look at the sticker on the Driver's Side door jamb.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Agreed it may not be 100% but it’ll be close, they’ve gotten better. It will be a starting point. My 1500 was off by 500 lbs and was later corrected to match the sticker. My 2500 is exact.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to throw it up, here's my post in the other thread @JJones posted in: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/payload-capacity-tow-question.1872/post-26539

Forget dry weight.

What's the GVWR of the trailer? GVWR and pin weight is what you need to plan for. Expect 18-22% of GVWR on the pin max.

What does your door sticker say your payload is?

What trim level is the truck?

You should have plenty of payload. You'll probably be maxed out on max tow capacity.

Ram Trucks - Towing & Payload Capacity Guide
Ram Trucks Towing and capacity guide is a tool to learn about your Ram Truck's towing power, payload & capacity. Read specs of each truck in the Ram lineup.
www.ramtrucks.com

You can use the Look Up My Vehicle on the page to see your VIN capacities. Some report the numbers are off on payload (mine was not) but should be more accurate on tow capacity than the web charts.

Payloads run from 3086 to 3987
Tow ratings are 12,520 to 13,320

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Nope... that # will very likely be incorrect... lots of folks have tried it and more often than not it is wrong.
He needs to look at the sticker on the Driver's Side door jamb.

Agreed it may not be 100% but it’ll be close, they’ve gotten better. It will be a starting point. My 1500 was off by 500 lbs and was later corrected to match the sticker. My 2500 is exact.

Mine was dead on to the pound. #3707 on the sticker. 3707.37 on the VIN lookup.

The website tow rating was low by 2K. Listed @23K for the HO CCLB and it's 25K.

JJones

Reaction score
JJones - I have a similar equipped vehicle but with 4wd. Mine has a cargo cap of 2931 lbs and tow cap of 14431 lbs, I’m only guessing but your truck will probably be close in capabilities. Given you have a 2wd you’re lighter so you’ll have a little more cargo cap. You should be ok given the pin weight for the 5th wheel isn‘t very heavy. As mentioned above the Hemi will tow it but will rev a little higher. As an example, using guesstimate numbers...
3000 lb cargo capacity
- 1538 pin weight
—————————
1462 lbs remaining for people and gear.

You really should get the exact specs for truck and trailer so you know for sure. I think most RV manufacturers underweight their trailers. Each one has to be individually weighed and a sticker placed in the door. You’ve found the right place where a bunch of guys are willing to help and a great resource for answers. You’re doing the right thing by coming here and asking good questions - welcome to the site.
Thank you!

JJones

Reaction score
Thank you!
Thank you....I’m going with the smaller/lighter 5th wheel That has a GVWR of 10995 which I will never hit Because I do not haul fresh water or waste. My truck has a GVWR do 10000 and a tow cap of 12900.....I think I will be ok

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Thank you....I’m going with the smaller/lighter 5th wheel That has a GVWR of 10995 which I will never hit Because I do not haul fresh water or waste. My truck has a GVWR do 10000 and a tow cap of 12900.....I think I will be ok
Your cargo cap is more important than tow cap. Did you ever find your cargo cap? If you find that number one of us will help you with the math so know exactly. Use the website to get an idea or just look inside the door jamb of the drivers side the sticker should give you that info48D318DA-9439-4084-B735-475FC8AAE567.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread