Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with new 6.4L

Pitboss44

Reaction score
Towing an equipment trailer is different than towing a travel trailer because of the large flat surface area that acts as a sail with the TT. Suck and push from 18 wheelers. The equalizer reduces sway and also redistributes weight back to the steering axle.
Good point, equalizer is probably a good idea.
Never heard of a 37 footer that light.
Not much heavier than the truck!
You can’t rely on “proper loading”
Yes I can. As stated, it will be going from dealer to seasonal just down the road a ways.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Uvw. Unloaded. I should mention it’s only 15 miles from the dealership to the campground where it will be on a seasonal site year round and I don’t need to go on any highway. I never had any intention on using a wd hitch I was just curious why anyone would and it sounds like its mostly to reduce sway possibility

The primary function of a WDH is to transfer tongue weight to the truck and trailer axles, this provides for a more positive experience by restoring weight to the front axle which improves handling and ride. The also greatly reduce porpoising on uneven roads.

The longer the trailer the more of an impact that a WDH has, but even on shorter trailers they make a difference.

For your use I wouldn’t bother with a WDH, but when I tow TT’s longer distances I use one and the improvements are worth it.. even on a 3500. We also have a WDH on our horse trailer for when it’s loaded with 3 horses and is very high on tongue weight.

A secondary function is sway control, on some
WDH’s. Not all WDH’s have sway control built in. Your earlier comment on loading correctly to eliminate sway is 100% accurate. The leading cause of sway is insufficient tongue weight, but you’ll get a lot of flack for telling people that spend too much money on hitches.

Short story last, WDH does have a time and place but sway control is a well funded gimmick.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Good point, equalizer is probably a good idea.

Not much heavier than the truck!

Yes I can. As stated, it will be going from dealer to seasonal just down the road a ways.
Oh, that's right missed that. A One time trip like that carefully done, makes sense instead of spending a thousand bucks...

Pitboss44

Reaction score
The primary function of a WDH is to transfer tongue weight to the truck and trailer axles, this provides for a more positive experience by restoring weight to the front axle which improves handling and ride. The also greatly reduce porpoising on uneven roads.

The longer the trailer the more of an impact that a WDH has, but even on shorter trailers they make a difference.

For your use I wouldn’t bother with a WDH, but when I tow TT’s longer distances I use one and the improvements are worth it.. even on a 3500. We also have a WDH on our horse trailer for when it’s loaded with 3 horses and is very high on tongue weight.

A secondary function is sway control, on some
WDH’s. Not all WDH’s have sway control built in. Your earlier comment on loading correctly to eliminate sway is 100% accurate. The leading cause of sway is insufficient tongue weight, but you’ll get a lot of flack for telling people that spend too much money on hitches.

Short story last, WDH does have a time and place but sway control is a well funded gimmick.
Thanks, yeah that is pretty much inline with what I was thinking. If I ever do any real traveling with it, there doesn’t seem to be any reason to Not use especially for the points you raise.

Attachments

• IMG_0819.jpeg
    IMG_0819.jpeg
    474.5 KB · Views: 23

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah that is pretty much inline with what I was thinking. If I ever do any real traveling with it, there doesn’t seem to be any reason to Not use especially for the points you raise.

I’d absolutely use a WDH with a trailer that long for highway travel, and I’d try to load it so the tongue weight was 13-15%.

I prefer the equalizer brand of WDH as it doesn’t use chains and they don’t derate the hitch head when the bars aren’t attached. I’ve put some pretty rough miles on the ones we own and they do great.

Dave01

Reaction score
Uvw. Unloaded. I should mention it’s only 15 miles from the dealership to the campground where it will be on a seasonal site year round and I don’t need to go on any highway. I never had any intention on using a wd hitch I was just curious why anyone would and it sounds like its mostly to reduce sway possibility
Sorry, I definitely missed the unloaded part.

For 15 miles and no highway, I say slap a hitch on the family minivan and tow it with that! :D

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
going from a 6000lb TT with my old 1500 with 3.21 gears (which NEVER gave me any issues pulling or sway etc) to a nearly 10,000lb TT with my new 3500 w 3.73. Tossing up the 4.10's was hard. I do a lot of non-towing driving and was nervous about gas (lol, I do realize this is like ordering a Diet Coke w a bacon cheeseburger and fries!) but, like the diesel, I didn't think I actually needed it. I pick up the TT after the holidays. We don't do any significant towing untill next season. we shall see...

In hindsight I sort of regret not getting the 4.10's. but, having the truck now a week and a day and 600+ miles, the MPG is pretty bad so I likely would have kicked myself on that if I had went w them. Bummed there was no real numbers to compare before I purchased. End of the day, my truck gives me the buffer I wanted - I'm more than good for what I need it to do.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I didn’t mean you for your specific situation, which is very much not the norm. I meant the generic “you”. In your specific situation I agree, I wouldn’t bother with WDH for that tow. But if you ever move it further, I absolutely would.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
going from a 6000lb TT with my old 1500 with 3.21 gears (which NEVER gave me any issues pulling or sway etc) to a nearly 10,000lb TT with my new 3500 w 3.73. Tossing up the 4.10's was hard. I do a lot of non-towing driving and was nervous about gas (lol, I do realize this is like ordering a Diet Coke w a bacon cheeseburger and fries!) but, like the diesel, I didn't think I actually needed it. I pick up the TT after the holidays. We don't do any significant towing untill next season. we shall see...

In hindsight I sort of regret not getting the 4.10's. but, having the truck now a week and a day and 600+ miles, the MPG is pretty bad so I likely would have kicked myself on that if I had went w them. Bummed there was no real numbers to compare before I purchased. End of the day, my truck gives me the buffer I wanted - I'm more than good for what I need it to do.

Any of these HD trucks will impress in 2023.

A big lesson for everyone looking to buy a new truck is go for the most capability as it relates to the rear end because MPG gains between a 3.73 and 4.10 gear set will be negligible at best.

dieselscout80

Reaction score

A big lesson for everyone looking to buy a new truck is go for the most capability as it relates to the rear end because MPG gains between a 3.73 and 4.10 gear set will be negligible at best.
I agree for the gas trucks I love my 4.10s and I kinda wish 4.30s were the option vs 4.10s.

Dave01

Reaction score

The more I read here, and more I drive and tow and plow with my truck, the more I wonder why they offer the 3.73 at all. Really no benefit beyond a few hundred rpm lower on the highway, and my truck at 75-80 mph is smooth and quiet so I don't need that benefit at the sacrifice of some general performance.

Firebird

Reaction score
I hate having 3.73 gears, no HD truck should come with them. I miss the 4.10's my 2019 had

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

I would have ordered my SRW with 4.10's if Ram had let me.

whitexc

Reaction score

I fell for the 3.73 gears. My truck works for my needs but yes….the MPG gaines are shadowed by what we give up in capability IMO.

Sent from me

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Here's the other thing.. most of us want to eventually upgrade our tires by at least one size.

If/when (most likely when) you do that, you'll REALLY be wishing you had 4.10's.

snocam

Reaction score
I have the 3.73s, as I've mentioned before. And larger tires. I tow often all over the northern New England area. No issues at all really. It would be great if my truck had 4.10s and I just recently priced having the swap done. The quote I received was $6800. No thanks, not enough of a difference to justify the cost. If the aftermarket ever steps up with gears and install kits I might consider it again. Especially if I could go to a 4.30 or so. When you compare final drive ratios to older trucks, these newer 8sp equipped trucks are pretty good with either ratio.

jebruns

Reaction score
Here's the other thing.. most of us want to eventually upgrade our tires by at least one size.

If/when (most likely when) you do that, you'll REALLY be wishing you had 4.10's.
I kind of doubt it's 'most of us'. I sure don't, and the vast majority of Ram's I see on the road are rolling on OEM sized tires. But I do agree, if you are into that, 4.10's would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread