Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing help needed for my 3500

Atlas717

Reaction score
I would check the torque on the other wheels, usually when you sheer them all off it’s because they got loose.

New wheels need to be retorqued a few times.
Im not 100% sure. But I did find a couple other wheels that I could turn the lugs about 1/4 turn with decent pressure. I kept checking them every fuel stop and some of them needed turned 1/4 each time. I’d say I had to retighten about 15 lugs out of 48. Does anyone know the actual torque spec on an aluminum wheel like that?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Im not 100% sure. But I did find a couple other wheels that I could turn the lugs about 1/4 turn with decent pressure. I kept checking them every fuel stop and some of them needed turned 1/4 each time. I’d say I had to retighten about 15 lugs out of 48. Does anyone know the actual torque spec on an aluminum wheel like that?

This is a pretty good chart.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
140ft lbs should be where you need to be, aluminum wheels suck i usually swap my wheels to steel less stuff to worry about

wrvond

Reaction score
Just take the stern tiedowns off and take it up to about 80MPH and slam on the brakes a few times. :D

I guess whomever the loadmaster was for that pick doesn't understand physics or weight distribution. That's just crazy that someone would just move the bow stop like that and expect it to go unnoticed.
It DID go unnoticed, at least long enough to get it off his lot! ;)

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
If that truly is a new trailer I'd take it back and find a different one from another manufacturer....shouldnt be having all these issues on a new unit....

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If that truly is a new trailer I'd take it back and find a different one from another manufacturer....shouldnt be having all these issues on a new unit....

Yes there are some issues, but hard to blame the loose lugs on a the manufacturer. All new trailers with aluminum wheels have multiple re-torque requirements that are the responsibility of the owner to ensure they are complied with.

I also have to question who moved the bow stop.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
there is absolutely nothing here that would point any blame on the manufacture this has been 100% negligence on a few peoples part, the person who loaded the boat incorrectly and move the bow stop and the owner for not performing the 100mk and 300km (60mi- 200mi) retorque on the wheels that is mandatory on all aluminum wheels for any vehicle/ implement…..

SpeyRam

Reaction score
Very interesting thread. I honestly have never seen an ocean-going boat that big being towed by a 1-ton. Mighty impressive. I can imagine head/side winds can reak havoc on that size of a boat & trailer. Towing that would not be for the faint of heart. Well done man!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Very interesting thread. I honestly have never seen an ocean-going boat that big being towed by a 1-ton. Mighty impressive. I can imagine head/side winds can reak havoc on that size of a boat & trailer. Towing that would not be for the faint of heart. Well done man!
A camper would be more of an issue for head/side winds than that….

Atlas717

Reaction score
Def my fault for not checking that. I didn’t know any better but I sure do now! I think that was probably the reason this happened. I’m having the bearings all repacked tomorrow for my return trip this weekend. I have a little bit of grease on two of the wheels faces so I’m just going to get them redone and hope it’s good. I’ll be getting that done every year now as well. But I don’t see any blame with the manufacture. It’s a ridiculously well built, heavy duty trailer that will be good for many years to come. Not a cheap trailer that’s for sure.

Atlas717

Reaction score
Honestly, the truck towed it perfectly. The air bags make a huge difference and I don’t need a sway bar or weight distribution hitch. The only part of the trip that sucked was about 50 miles of cattle chute construction with no shoulders in the pouring rain with tractor trailers. But I enjoy the journey and it’s part of the experience for me. Trailering stuff doesn’t bother me. Been doing my wife’s goose neck horse trailer and some larger enclosed trailers for cars and snowmobiles all over the place.

RPS1030

Reaction score
Pretty sure my RV trailer (alum wheels) states to recheck torque at 150mi and again at 500mi after any wheel replacement.
Steel Wheels are similar. Especially brand new, the paint/powdercoat at the contact points with lug nuts can compress/move allowing loosening.

Users who are viewing this thread