Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing help needed for my 3500

Atlas717

Reaction score
Once you get this all figured out I’d have a chat with the dealer, since it appears there is some shady and very unsafe stuff going on with their delivered product.

I’ll give you credit thou, you’re trying to fix the problem and not apply a bandaid. If this was a travel trailer forum you would have a bunch of people telling you to install a pro-pride/hensley as it’s the “only” way to eliminate sway, when the real way to eliminate sway is to make sure the load is setup properly.
Well I’m going to give it my best shot but if I can’t get it myself then I’m just going back to the marina and have them lift and set the bow bar back to stock position and then reload. Cost me a couple hours but it is what it is. I don’t want to have half ass it I know that much.

Atlas717

Reaction score
Well I did my best moving that boat forward and only got about 10”. Without a dual crane setup it was almost impossible to get it further. It added about 400lbs of tongue weight and towed pretty well at 70mph. In one last final change I’m going to dump about 1200 lbs of fuel out which should fix it up. The fuel is directly above the furthest rear axle which is why it got so far off. I don’t think I want to move it much more forward or I could have end bottoming the trailer out trying to launch it. I just won’t tow it with 2500lbs of fuel in the future.

GBB

Reaction score
Move your axels back starting with 6”. Have done this a few times on boat trailers. Trailer sway is caused by not enough tongue weight as stated above. I don’t use the grease zerts on wheel bearings chance of getting too much grease inside hub and pushing grease seal out. I just tear down and repack once a year.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Move your axels back starting with 6”. Have done this a few times on boat trailers. Trailer sway is caused by not enough tongue weight as stated above. I don’t use the grease zerts on wheel bearings chance of getting too much grease inside hub and pushing grease seal out. I just tear down and repack once a year.
No you use the grease fittings sensibly and the seal will be fine. Besides the axles dont move on that trailer

GBB

Reaction score
Most people don’t from what I’ve seen…then it’s the wrong trailer for the boat.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Most people don’t from what I’ve seen…then it’s the wrong trailer for the boat.
Did you read the whole thread before commenting ? Trailer was built for that boat specifically. The front v-support had been moved by whoever loaded it at the marina. He’s already taken steps to remedy the situation. As for bearings I agree with

H3LZSN1P3R.​

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If you push a grease seal out putting a few pumps of marine grease into a boat trailer ez-lube axle spindle, you're doing it wrong.

Yes, they need to be repacked periodically depending on use, but if they're packed properly and the hub has the correct amount of grease, there's room for fresh grease until the next repack.

CdnHO

Reaction score
If you push a grease seal out putting a few pumps of marine grease into a boat trailer ez-lube axle spindle, you're doing it wrong.

Yes, they need to be repacked periodically depending on use, but if they're packed properly and the hub has the correct amount of grease, there's room for fresh grease until the next repack.
Also rotating the hub/wheel while pumping in the grease will reduce the chance of blowing a seal.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Also rotating the hub/wheel while pumping in the grease will reduce the chance of blowing a seal.
If you blow a seal thats because you were not paying attention you will see grease coming out of the outboard bearing before it could push the seal out

GBB

Reaction score
Hand pack bearings once a year correctly and no need to add extra grease…just saying

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Hand pack bearings once a year correctly and no need to add extra grease…just saying

Yes, but once a year may be excessive depending on use.

I always recommend ignoring the grease zerk is even there on most trailers. If you look at a Dexter or Al-Ko manual it will tell you that the zerk does nothing to extend the service interval, and the zerk isn’t even mentioned in the servicing instructions.

The only caveat it applicable to this thread thou, which is boat trailers to ensure that the bearings don’t get water logged and fail.

Texasram1

Reaction score
1k pounds in stereo & electronics? And I thought I over did it!
What all are you running?

Sweet setup!

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Well I did my best moving that boat forward and only got about 10”. Without a dual crane setup it was almost impossible to get it further. It added about 400lbs of tongue weight and towed pretty well at 70mph. In one last final change I’m going to dump about 1200 lbs of fuel out which should fix it up. The fuel is directly above the furthest rear axle which is why it got so far off. I don’t think I want to move it much more forward or I could have end bottoming the trailer out trying to launch it. I just won’t tow it with 2500lbs of fuel in the future.
wheres the freshwater tank? if in the bow, could fill with water and RV/boat antifreeze mix for the trip to help with forward ballast and increase the tongue weight.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
So youre saying I should NOT trade in my DRW 3500 for a coil spring 2500 for this type of load?

Well, sheeeit.

Seriously though... hell of a thread and glad you got it all figured out, OP!

Atlas717

Reaction score
1k pounds in stereo & electronics? And I thought I over did it!
What all are you running?

Sweet setup!
Dual Garmin 24” screens, radar, night vision, 26 Marine JL speakers(subs total 300lbs alone), 300lbs in batteries for all plus amps. So probably a little over in reality.

Last edited:

Atlas717

Reaction score
So youre saying I should NOT trade in my DRW 3500 for a coil spring 2500 for this type of load?

Well, sheeeit.

Seriously though... hell of a thread and glad you got it all figured out, OP!
Thanks. I’ll let everyone know how it goes. I’m going to leave Friday. I have about 300lbs worth of gear and supplies that will get packed in the anchor locker and forward most floor box so I think all should be ok. Once I launch the boat in Miami I’m going to move that front support forward another few 8 inches so I don’t have to deal with all this again that’s for sure!

Atlas717

Reaction score
Well here is my update! Made it to the Keys but spent 7 hrs on a road side repair outside Washington DC on the beltway when an entire wheel sheared all 8 lugs off. Terrifying experience. Thank god I had an entire replacement set up. But I had to Uber for some lug nuts. Ended up having to go to a marina then once repaired, and lifted the boat forward to fix my tongue issue. I am going to overnight parts so I have a spare setup again. I still have some grease flinging out on the face of two wheels. Just a small amount. I hate trailers….absolutely hate them. This is a brand new too. But we made it!

CdnHO

Reaction score
Well here is my update! Made it to the Keys but spent 7 hrs on a road side repair outside Washington DC on the beltway when an entire wheel sheared all 8 lugs off. Terrifying experience. Thank god I had an entire replacement set up. But I had to Uber for some lug nuts. Ended up having to go to a marina then once repaired, and lifted the boat forward to fix my tongue issue. I am going to overnight parts so I have a spare setup again. I still have some grease flinging out on the face of two wheels. Just a small amount. I hate trailers….absolutely hate them. This is a brand new too. But we made it!
Loose lug nuts? Did Boeing install them?? LOL. Glad you made it safely.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I would check the torque on the other wheels, usually when you sheer them all off it’s because they got loose.

New wheels need to be retorqued a few times.

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Holy crap!!

Users who are viewing this thread