Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Mode camera 2022 vs 2023

CortexM0

Reaction score
Sorry- I figured Jimmy was going to update the pack... When plugging in the <=2022 camera to the 2023 truck the mirror tried to switch over to it and it gave an error on the mirror and in the digital dash. I also tried unplugging the RVM camera all together and using that input, no dice.

Hopefully we can order that 2023 camera, though I don't need 75 feet of cable lol.
When you said "also tried unplugging the RVM camera all together and using that input", what are you referring to? The blue "TRAILER" connector or something else?

In particular, I'm curious if you tried connecting to the red "CHMSL" input. (or even sending the video signal directly to the mirror through the white "RVDM" connector) I'd gladly give up the CHMSL video in exchange for the tow mode video.
PXL_20230329_171652824 (1).jpg

Last edited:

CortexM0

Reaction score
I was still curious about this, so I went ahead and purchased a 2022 tow mode camera. When plugged into the bumper (or directly to the blue TRAILER connector of the processor module) it takes the existing CHMSL camera offline and generates an error. Similar to when the CHMSL cable is unplugged. The CHMSL is selectable as an input on the mirror, but no video is available. There is still no option to select the trailer input.

I also tried connecting the 2022 trailer camera to the CHMSL, RHOSM, and LHOSM inputs all with similar results. Whichever input the 2022 camera was connected to didn't have video, while the remaining cameras worked as expected.

Checking the part numbers, the CHMSL, RHOSM, and LHOSM all appear to be 68506525AA. I did try switching these inputs around. Everything worked as expected, with the corresponding video swapped.

So to summarize:
  • The 2022 DRVM cameras are not compatible with the 2023 DRVM.
  • The 2023 uses the same cameras for the CHMSL, RHOSM, and LHOSM.
  • The CHMSL, RHOSM, and LHOSM cameras are not compatible with the TRAILER input.

CortexM0

Reaction score
I also performed one other test. I was curious about the CHMSL camera's ability to send a video signal over a long extension. I disconnected both the pink CHMSL cable and the blue TRAILER cable. Then, I used a fakra adapter to connect the blue TRAILER cable to the CHMSL input. Next, I plugged in the cable from the 2022 tow mode camera into the bumper, and ran that cable back inside the cab. Finally, that cable was then connected back to the pink CHMSL camera cable.

So to recap:
CHMSL camera -> existing harness -> fakra adapter -> tow mode cable -> bumper -> existing harness -> fakra adapter -> CHMSL input

As I had hoped, this long complicated routing produced the exact same image as when the CHMSL camera is connected directly.

CortexM0

Reaction score
I tried to order a new CHMSL camera (68506525AA), but I couldn't find any available anywhere. So my next step was to remove my existing camera from my CHMSL. Removing it was easy. 5 screws and one fakra connector. The difficult part was the sealing against water intrusion. There is a ring on the body of the camera that pushes against a gasket. So I 3D printed a model to fill in for the camera. Since I couldn't rely on a waterproof seal in between layers of the 3d print, I made the model slightly shorter and glued a laser cut acrylic circle to the front. Below is a picture of the 3d print next to the camera. Here it was still a little too thick, so I sanded down the acrylic to get it within a few thousandths. And another picture with the 3d print mounted in the CHMSL.

camera comp 2.jpgchmsl.jpg

To verify I had a watertight seal, I filled the camera hole with water and let it set for an hour. No visible signs of moisture were noted past the gasket. So I remounted this assembly back on the truck.

CortexM0

Reaction score
I then opened up the camera housing for the 2022 tow mode camera. I can verify the 2022 tow mode camera was made by Gentex. Here is a picture showing the 2022 camera (right) vs a 2023 CHMSL camera (left).
camera comp.jpg
One is obviously not a mechanical drop in replacement for the other. So I 3d printed an adapter for the CHMSL camera. Then mounted the CHMSL camera into the 2022 tow mode camera housing.
camera mounted.jpgcamera housing.jpg

Externally it's nearly impossible to see the difference.
camera.jpg

And the final result...

camera cable.jpgtrailer camera.jpgrear view mirror.jpg

I haven't driven with this yet to see how reliable it is. But there are some tradeoffs to this approach. The obvious one is I'm missing my CHMSL camera, so I can't use that when I'm not towing. I also don't get the camera view tilt down when placed in reverse. And anytime I start the truck without the camera attached an error message gets displayed on the instrument panel.

Last edited:

pr3dict

Reaction score
Wow - It's crazy they don't sell the Tow mode camera for 2023 but some people that didnt have their order modified were able to get it.

Do you have the DRVM 3.0 that has the side mirrors at the same time?

CortexM0

Reaction score
Do you have the DRVM 3.0 that has the side mirrors at the same time?
Yes. But since this is coming in the CHMSL input instead of the TRAILER input, there's no way to display the rear and side views at the same time. It's one or the other.

pr3dict

Reaction score
Yes. But since this is coming in the CHMSL input instead of the TRAILER input, there's no way to display the rear and side views at the same time. It's one or the other.

• The 2022 DRVM cameras are not compatible with the 2023 DRVM.
  • The 2023 uses the same cameras for the CHMSL, RHOSM, and LHOSM.
  • The CHMSL, RHOSM, and LHOSM cameras are not compatible with the TRAILER input.
^^^ I missed that line when reading through.

This is mind boggling.

gprguy

Reaction score
Some days I am annoyed that I was unable to order any of the surround or DRVM options on my 2023 due to the mystery chassis cab issues, but then I read up on stuff like this and am glad I will be retrofitting a 2022 DRVM into it..

pr3dict

Reaction score
Every day that this camera is not available just pisses me off even more. How do we not have any recourse available to us and RAM has made no communication as to when or if this will ever be resolved. Is 2023 model year the only year that won't have a Tow mode camera and they bring it back for 2024 or are they discontinuing the feature all together? They advertised this being available and then never said a word about it again even though its impossible to buy.

@RamCares - Is this one of those deflect and ignore type situations?

nchristopher1126

Reaction score
Every day that this camera is not available just pisses me off even more. How do we not have any recourse available to us and RAM has made no communication as to when or if this will ever be resolved. Is 2023 model year the only year that won't have a Tow mode camera and they bring it back for 2024 or are they discontinuing the feature all together? They advertised this being available and then never said a word about it again even though its impossible to buy.

@RamCares - Is this one of those deflect and ignore type situations?
68586112AA

pr3dict

Reaction score
68586112AA
We all know what the part number that was given is. The issue is you cannot buy it. Every dealership sees the product as discontinued in their system.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-05-17-43-57-96_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-05-17-43-57-96_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 16

nchristopher1126

Reaction score
We all know what the part number that was given is. The issue is you cannot buy it. Every dealership sees the product as discontinued in their system.

pr3dict

Reaction score
I don't believe it. Someone but it and let us know.

nchristopher1126

Reaction score
I ordered it. I just called and they confirmed it was available. I will let you know in a week.

CortexM0

Reaction score
I tried ordering one from them last month. Got the following email the next day.
Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 11.30.37 PM.png

phatboy64

Reaction score
I am not sure if this helps or is old news but this lists the parts that make up the 22 a s 23 kits.

D84711A9-0982-4065-A295-B9C39CAC786C.png

DPeglow

Reaction score
I am not sure if this helps or is old news but this lists the parts that make up the 22 a s 23 kits.

View attachment 57947
I was one of the few fortunate to get the option with my truck (Hopefully, picking it up Thursday so we'll see). Can you give us the link for this page, or Screenshot a little further down? Curious what all the *Note says at the bottom

phatboy64

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread