Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Mode camera 2022 vs 2023

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Based off what I'd read, I was expecting the camera to just pan down when put in reverse. Instead the entire view is zoomed out. Don't gain much horizontally, but the vertical is squashed to show more of what's above and below your normal field of view. Pics below...

In drive:
View attachment 70796

In reverse:
View attachment 70797

Doesn't it have the digital tilt the 21-22 DRVM tow mode has?

daemonic3

Reaction score
This has been an amazing thread, start to finish, and some amazing engineering and reverse engineering!

I have a 2024 3500 on order, waiting for a train out of Saltillo. I ordered every bell and whistle for DRVM and wired trailer camera (XN1 + XH7). I have a 34' travel trailer. I have read the PDF regarding the camera changeover from 2022 to 2023+. And I have tried scanning the web for pictures of the kit, lengths of the cables, and shapes/dimensions of the connectors.

What I want to do is simply route, with as little extra cable as possible, from the truck bumper to the back of my travel trailer, and up high. The trailer run is easy, I can follow the propane gas line to the rear along the camp side. Now once at the back, I want to feed the final portion of the cable up through the ladder tubing (mine is 3/4" square tubing) as a conduit, OR just tightly couple some conduit to the ladder. My father in law and I can design an extremely stable mount from there that minimuzes vibration.

So here are my questions:
1) What are the exact max dimensions of the final cable end (fakra jack end I assume, not plug end?) that connects to the camera? The best info I can find seems to be the jack end is max ~14mm (~0.55 inch). The inside of 3/4" square tubing may be 5/8" or 0.625". That is cutting it close but it MIGHT work as a conduit! I'm hopeful, or I may need to just order 1" tubing and have a slight eyesore running along the ladder.
2) I saw a post earlier that the repeater might be *required*? I would love to just use the 57' cable without a repeater, as 75' really forces me to tie up and secure a lot of slack.

This is the ladder at the back. The vertical members are straight 3/4" tube with a plastic plug at top and bottom - perfect conduit potential.

Attachments

• 20240323_191340.jpg
    20240323_191340.jpg
    705.5 KB · Views: 9

daemonic3

Reaction score
I finally got around to pulling my camper out of storage and installing the new camera system. The new camera does not appear to work without the repeater.
This is exactly one of my specific questions: If only wanting 57' of run, is that not an option to use the single cable and no repeater...

KneeDeep

Reaction score
This has been an amazing thread, start to finish, and some amazing engineering and reverse engineering!

I have a 2024 3500 on order, waiting for a train out of Saltillo. I ordered every bell and whistle for DRVM and wired trailer camera (XN1 + XH7). I have a 34' travel trailer. I have read the PDF regarding the camera changeover from 2022 to 2023+. And I have tried scanning the web for pictures of the kit, lengths of the cables, and shapes/dimensions of the connectors.

What I want to do is simply route, with as little extra cable as possible, from the truck bumper to the back of my travel trailer, and up high. The trailer run is easy, I can follow the propane gas line to the rear along the camp side. Now once at the back, I want to feed the final portion of the cable up through the ladder tubing (mine is 3/4" square tubing) as a conduit, OR just tightly couple some conduit to the ladder. My father in law and I can design an extremely stable mount from there that minimuzes vibration.

So here are my questions:
1) What are the exact max dimensions of the final cable end (fakra jack end I assume, not plug end?) that connects to the camera? The best info I can find seems to be the jack end is max ~14mm (~0.55 inch). The inside of 3/4" square tubing may be 5/8" or 0.625". That is cutting it close but it MIGHT work as a conduit! I'm hopeful, or I may need to just order 1" tubing and have a slight eyesore running along the ladder.
2) I saw a post earlier that the repeater might be *required*? I would love to just use the 57' cable without a repeater, as 75' really forces me to tie up and secure a lot of slack.

This is the ladder at the back. The vertical members are straight 3/4" tube with a plastic plug at top and bottom - perfect conduit potential.
If you go up through the ladder tubing you may want to wrap wire loom over your cable. The inside of the tube will be like sand paper after awhile from rust. I’ve experienced it multiple times where light wires were run through the roll cage tubing on forklifts and the wires would rub through causing shorts. These were installed by the manufacture like that and have failed within the first year. They were Trailer mounted forklifts so did a lot of bouncing going down the road, just like a travel trailer.

Christofo

Reaction score
I love the DRVM in my truck, would hate to go back to not having it..

With that being said, I just took my first trip with the camera installed on the trailer.. pretty disappointed in it, the field of view is horrible. I have it mounded about 10ft from the ground on my trailer, the lens need to be a much wider angle.

content

Reaction score
This is exactly one of my specific questions: If only wanting 57' of run, is that not an option to use the single cable and no repeater...

I just pulled mine out of the box for my 2024. I'm still learning on this topic and appreciate any input. It appears from the ports on the included cables (see photo) that we must use both cables and the repeater? I also would have preferred the single 55' cable without the repeater.

HDRAMs photo upload 4-18-2024.jpg

content

Reaction score

With that being said, I just took my first trip with the camera installed on the trailer.. pretty disappointed in it, the field of view is horrible. I have it mounded about 10ft from the ground on my trailer, the lens need to be a much wider angle.

Thank you for sharing that info. I am getting close to doing the installation. Was looking forward to the trailer rearview in the digital rear view mirror instead of via the Furrion wireless camera and extra screen in the cab. I may stick with the Furrion and extra screen based on your results, but will still test it to see how it works with me setup.

daemonic3

Reaction score
I just pulled mine out of the box for my 2024. I'm still learning on this topic and appreciate any input. It appears from the ports on the included cables (see photo) that we must use both cables and the repeater? I also would have preferred the single 55' cable without the repeater.

View attachment 71927
Wow, what a fantastic picture! This answers basically everything I needed to know regarding the cable ends and whether we have to use the repeater. Looks like the 55' will run to the camera, and I will have to handle the rest of the 55' slack, repeater, and 13' slack at the tongue frame. My trailer is only 34' long, and maybe another 7' up to where I want to put the camera.

daemonic3

Reaction score

Question on this... Is that when using just the single rear camera in the full DRVM, or is that the view with the middle and two side mirror cameras (tri-view tow mode) in the DRVM? In their demo video, the tri-view definitely has bad field-vision in the middle, but in regular tow mode it looked adequate and much wider.

1713473103682.png

1713473143392.png

Ziggy

Reaction score

View attachment 71927
Can you post the part numbers for the kit or parts?

content

Reaction score
Can you post the part numbers for the kit or parts?
The updated attached photo has part numbers for the kit and for the main individual components, taken from tags on each component. In addition, attached is a pdf of the package contents and instructions.

HDRAMs photo upload 4-19 -2024 kit name.jpg

HDRAMs photo upload 4-19 -2024 with part numbers.jpg

Attachments

• Ram Trailer Camera Kit (68586112AA) aka Wired Tow-Mode Camera for Ram HD 2500 and 3500.pdf
    372.1 KB · Views: 11

daemonic3

Reaction score
The updated attached photo has part numbers for the kit and for the main individual components, taken from tags on each component. In addition, attached is a pdf of the package contents and instructions.

View attachment 71954

View attachment 71951

Amazing! Thanks so much for the attachment PDF as well.

What TT do you have, and when do you think you'll give it a trial hookup?

Users who are viewing this thread