Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Mirror Dissasembly/Painting/Wrapping

mustangguy289

Reaction score
I want to paint or wrap my chrome tow mirrors to make them black. Is there a way to disassemble them to insure you cover all of the chrome?

If anyone wants the chrome mirrors and wants to trade me...let me know.

BillnLA

Reaction score
Interesting. What equipment level package are they coming from? I have a Bighorn.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
This is your second thread this month re those dreaded chrome mirrors. Ya really dislike em, eh? I have no idea how to take them apart but I'd love to have a go at it provided that... I don't have to guarantee they'll work when I put them back together. I dunno. The black replacements are indeed spendy but I'm thinking that your options are limited to that or to venturing into the unknown and attempting to disassemble your mirrors. I suspect you won't find any instructions in that regard so it may be up to you to pioneer the procedure.

.genomer

Reaction score
I'd be curious to see what they'd look like wrapped to color match the vehicle. Could be nice, or regretful...

TexMarQue

Reaction score
I also have chrome and would prefer black. I would trade if anyone is close enough to make it happen. I’ve got a Laramie. I don’t have the mirror cameras.

Zrojas

Reaction score
After looking at the mirrors, I would say the chrome part of the mirror cannot be removed from the arm. There is a metal sleeve that is then mushroomed at each end.
37861d81998d300e5a709fa80e976c01.jpg
ca675bbac7116ba8587fa931155071e6.jpg
5d09bd37d94909fd12c172e38bc5e2c9.jpg
56d512eb138c0d3930acefbf4a834ff5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Zrojas

Reaction score
I already replaced my chrome mirrors with black ones. I was thinking that the color match vinyl wrap that others mentioned would look pretty good. So I took apart one of my chrome mirrors.

mustangguy289

Reaction score
Zrojas thanks again! On the facebook page, someone had the chrome pieces wrapped successfully without disassembly. I am going to talk to a local shop that does wrap and see what they can do.

Zrojas

Reaction score
Zrojas thanks again! On the facebook page, someone had the chrome pieces wrapped successfully without disassembly. I am going to talk to a local shop that does wrap and see what they can do.
I think that would work. I'm going to remove the mirror glass and see if a local shop can do it as well.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
After looking at the mirrors, I would say the chrome part of the mirror cannot be removed from the arm. There is a metal sleeve that is then mushroomed at each end.
Zrojas, did your mirrors come equipped with trailer spotter lamps and if so, what kind of weatherproofing is provided for them? For that matter, what type of gaskets/seals are provided for the arm assy and do they appear to be adequate for keeping the elements out of the mirror's internal mechanisms and wiring? There are reports of these spotter lamps being plagued with water intrusion and in some instances, customers are being told that it's normal. I had a mirror replaced a few months ago for this issue.

Thanks!

Zrojas

Reaction score
Zrojas, did your mirrors come equipped with trailer spotter lamps and if so, what kind of weatherproofing is provided for them? For that matter, what type of gaskets/seals are provided for the arm assy and do they appear to be adequate for keeping the elements out of the mirror's internal mechanisms and wiring? There are reports of these spotter lamps being plagued with water intrusion and in some instances, customers are being told that it's normal. I had a mirror replaced a few months ago for this issue.

Thanks!
There aren't any gasket or seals on the arms. The spotter lamps, puddle lights, cameras, mirror motors are each individual sealed parts. I have not had any issues with condensation on the spotter lamps so I don't know what the failure mechanism is.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
There aren't any gasket or seals on the arms. The spotter lamps, puddle lights, cameras, mirror motors are each individual sealed parts. I have not had any issues with condensation on the spotter lamps so I don't know what the failure mechanism is.

Many thx! I suspect the failure mechanism for the spotter lamps lies with the manufacturer. Some are obviously sealed, many other are not.

Spotter_Lamp.jpg

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score

Apparently, dealer service depts are now peeling the mirrors apart to replace defective internal components (spotter light, camera etc) as opposed to replacing the mirror assy. This could get interesting....

Last edited:

TexMarQue

Reaction score
I've gotten a couple of quotes to have the chrome portions of the mirror wrapped with black vinyl. Quotes range from 60 to 80 usd per mirror.

aaronlammm

Reaction score
I already replaced my chrome mirrors with black ones. I was thinking that the color match vinyl wrap that others mentioned would look pretty good. So I took apart one of my chrome mirrors.

I’ve looked everywhere for a replacement because I hate the chrome. Do you mind telling me where you got yours from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zrojas

Reaction score
I’ve looked everywhere for a replacement because I hate the chrome. Do you mind telling me where you got yours from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The all black mirrors I bought from a dealership wholesale parts department. https://parts.lithiachryslermedford.com/

I just picked up my vinyl wrapped stock mirrors today from a shop in Bend, OR.

If you need part numbers for the black mirrors let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread