Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Mirror Dissasembly/Painting/Wrapping

aaronlammm

Reaction score
The all black mirrors I bought from a dealership wholesale parts department. https://parts.lithiachryslermedford.com/

I just picked up my vinyl wrapped stock mirrors today from a shop in Bend, OR.

If you need part numbers for the black mirrors let me know.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Do you mind giving me the part numbers for the black mirrors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score

As far as I can tell, these are the P/Ns for the tow mirrors. I purchased a 68374947AC, so I can confirm that number.

Annotation 2020-03-04 155333.png

Zrojas

Reaction score

68361478AC - left
68361478AC - right

These are the all black tow mirrors with power convex, heated, power folding, rear spotter lamp, camera...

aaronlammm

Reaction score
68361478AC - left
68361478AC - right

These are the all black tow mirrors with power convex, heated, power folding, rear spotter lamp, camera...

Sounds good. Thank you man!

dmwm67

Reaction score
Sorry to raise an old thread, but curious as to how wrapping the chrome mirrors came out. I'm considering painting them a Matt Black rather than spend ~$1000 on two mirrors.

AJ BCTD2500

Reaction score
Going to try also raise this old thread, anyone able to opine on their experience with wrapping the tow mirrors?Maybe post some pics...

My big concern is the pinch point where the two halves of the mirror meet.

Hulk_Ram_6.7

Reaction score
After looking at the mirrors, I would say the chrome part of the mirror cannot be removed from the arm. There is a metal sleeve that is then mushroomed at each end.
37861d81998d300e5a709fa80e976c01.jpg
ca675bbac7116ba8587fa931155071e6.jpg
5d09bd37d94909fd12c172e38bc5e2c9.jpg
56d512eb138c0d3930acefbf4a834ff5.jpg

How hard was it to split the plastic arm from the main part? I am going to paint match the chrome part but will want to split that plastic arm so i can get all the chrome covered.
Thanks

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
tried to do the hyperdip in emerald black... terrible! went to rotate the mirror to get all the "Hidden areas" and it peeled! so i want to color match the chrome to the truck now.
Hmm. I’m not familiar with how the tow mirrors fold or the hyper dip product. If the parts scrape when they fold then that makes sense.

Plastidip holds up well after it’s cured. It’s dry pretty quick and safe to touch and drive but after a week or two cure you can literally pressure wash it. all of my chrome that wasn’t replaced with Mopar night Ed black parts has been dipped. The only place that is showing wear is where the hood seal sits/vibrates on top of the upper grille

My rear bumper has been dipped for a year and even where my boot hits the bumper to deploy the step there is no rubbing off

A99D1508-712E-478C-8E9B-54A19B4D38A1.jpeg

Hulk_Ram_6.7

Reaction score
Hmm. I’m not familiar with how the tow mirrors fold or the hyper dip product. If the parts scrape when they fold then that makes sense.

Plastidip holds up well after it’s cured. It’s dry pretty quick and safe to touch and drive but after a week or two cure you can literally pressure wash it. all of my chrome that wasn’t replaced with Mopar night Ed black parts has been dipped. The only place that is showing wear is where the hood seal sits/vibrates on top of the upper grille

My rear bumper has been dipped for a year and even where my boot hits the bumper to deploy the step there is no rubbing off

View attachment 18483
Hyperdip is just a version of plastidip, ive done plastidip before but wanted a more refined "painted" look. Nothing against the dipping. Its great stuff but the "matte" finish is not my favorite anymore.
The idea i have is to just paint my chrome mirrors like my bumpers for a better look.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

dragon_ram

Reaction score
Hyperdip is just a version of plastidip, ive done plastidip before but wanted a more refined "painted" look. Nothing against the dipping. Its great stuff but the "matte" finish is not my favorite anymore.
The idea i have is to just paint my chrome mirrors like my bumpers for a better look.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Good luck. I want to paint the chrome grill inserts a burnished bronze. I’m concerned it won’t last any longer than dipping them would. Had an auto body shop tell me even when they paint chrome it doesn’t seem to last past a couple years.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Good luck. I want to paint the chrome grill inserts a burnished bronze. I’m concerned it won’t last any longer than dipping them would. Had an auto body shop tell me even when they paint chrome it doesn’t seem to last past a couple years.
Yea that’s what my body shop told me. They simply won’t paint over chrome anymore.

Maka14

Reaction score
Op still never posted pics of the vinyl wrapped mirrors lol

dynocompe

Reaction score
I didn’t wrap them, but I dipped them. Slow and steady with lots of coats... smoked the signal lens while I was at it.
you did this with plastidip spray cans? How many coats? Smoking the clear lense, how did you do that? Thanks

dragon_ram

Reaction score
you did this with plastidip spray cans? How many coats? Smoking the clear lense, how did you do that? Thanks
Yes, plasti dip cans. Did it again with the 2022 that I recently picked up. I took out the small mirror glass, removed the led light assembly, taped off the main mirror glass, and sprayed. The more coats the longer it lasts and the easier it is to fully remove if you want to, so shoot for 5-6 coats minimum.

I used the plastidip “smoke” color on the lens and did just 3-4 coats max, not wanting to reduce brightness too much.

Users who are viewing this thread