Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much oil and poor dealer help

Dinky503

Reaction score
screw them, get a new truck. the amount of money you paid, warranties, time with out a truck, back and forth and frustration if i was ram id not only give you a new truck but id upgrade you to the next trim level for an apology.
Well I’m thankful it went into regen and you were able to get the manager in there to experience it. At least now there’s no refuting the issue at hand and something has to be done. That truck should get sent back to Ram engineers and have them figure it out themselves to come out with answers, which won’t happen but it should.

Get yourself a new truck, slap your suspension on it and move on is what I’m praying for you to get. This is probably one of the more wild cases I’ve seen in the 40 some cars I’ve owned

I'll keep everyone informed on what happens. I'll be pushing for the best deal possible. I at least have their full attention now!

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Wow! This is a real live lemon POS. As has been mentioned above a couple of times, I'd hate to be a dealer right now with this crap. Poor guy probably wishes he were retired. I think now you're gong to be able to unload this POS with a full refund. Hopefully, they'll throw in some $'s for 'pain and frustration beyond all acceptable reason.'

Not sure how many dealer folks are around but if you are at a competitive dealer in a metro area, you can make a lot of money with little to no education. However, the trade off is an extremely stressful work situation, daily or weekly meetings where mgmt put the screws to the service writers for not performing enough, sales guys and floor managers/finance guys get ridiculed for not selling enough junk items to customers, techs get their time played with and how they are paid gets changed on a regular basis. It can get old quick and there is a lot of movement from
Dealer to dealer. You can make great money but it comes with a price

Deltron

Reaction score
If you said it before, sorry. Have you tried a stationary regen? What oil are you running? What fuel are you running? Any additives?
The dealer replaced the MAF and did two regens, one before replacing, one after. I left the dealer and the gauge climbed like crazy and went into regen around 15 miles. The dealer now just replaced something called a differential pressure sensor along with a sensor upstream and downstream, no change.

As to all of your other questions. Everything was perfect until 15,000 miles. I've changed absolutely nothing. Same fuel stations, usually Loves because it's hard to go anyplace but a truck stop with the toy hauler, Amsoil at 7.5k, new OEM AB filter.

I will reiterate, it was fine until around 15k and since then it's been getting worse and worse.
Not sure how many dealer folks are around but if you are at a competitive dealer in a metro area, you can make a lot of money with little to no education. However, the trade off is an extremely stressful work situation, daily or weekly meetings where mgmt put the screws to the service writers for not performing enough, sales guys and floor managers/finance guys get ridiculed for not selling enough junk items to customers, techs get their time played with and how they are paid gets changed on a regular basis. It can get old quick and there is a lot of movement from
Dealer to dealer. You can make great money but it comes with a price
Talking to my service advisor he said his techs DESPISE working on the '19 and above Cummins trucks. Endless returns because they didn't fix it the first time. He said the Star techs act like they've never heard of any issues with the trucks.

I used to deal with this with my company that sold business phone systems. A manufacturer called V****i had tech support that would ALWAYS say "We never heard of that." Well, that was a total crock, we already knew a particular software version had a particular fault 100% of the time. Every single company that sold their phone systems knew what the faults were. We'd load different software versions knowing which ones had which problems and wouldn't affect a particular customer. Call in reporting an issue with a new version and they'd act like you were an idiot and it was your fault. We dropped them for a company called NEC that was very receptive to field techs input and rapidly implemented patches.

I think the difference was V****i is a US based company, NEC is a large Japanese company. It was obvious calling tech support, one generally knew less than we did, the other was staffed by very smart technicians and software engineers.

My guess is Stellantis knows the issue but it's cheaper for them to deal with repairs than to do a recall and fix the problem. This is a very traditional way for the manufacturers to handle things like this. It appears the Feds are looking at the K1 failures on '22s. How many of those guys had trouble with Stellantis getting it fixed with many out of pocket unreimbursed expenses? Stellantis KNEW they had a problem but said nothing until it couldn't be ignored.

Note: starred out the US company's name, don't need them to come after me. Any phone guy knows though. ;)

Dinky503

Reaction score
The dealer replaced the MAF and did two regens, one before replacing, one after. I left the dealer and the gauge climbed like crazy and went into regen around 15 miles. The dealer now just replaced something called a differential pressure sensor along with a sensor upstream and downstream, no change.

As to all of your other questions. Everything was perfect until 15,000 miles. I've changed absolutely nothing. Same fuel stations, usually Loves because it's hard to go anyplace but a truck stop with the toy hauler, Amsoil at 7.5k, new OEM AB filter.

I will reiterate, it was fine until around 15k and since then it's been getting worse and worse.

Talking to my service advisor he said his techs DESPISE working on the '19 and above Cummins trucks. Endless returns because they didn't fix it the first time. He said the Star techs act like they've never heard of any issues with the trucks.

I used to deal with this with my company that sold business phone systems. A manufacturer called V****i had tech support that would ALWAYS say "We never heard of that." Well, that was a total crock, we already knew a particular software version had a particular fault 100% of the time. Every single company that sold their phone systems knew what the faults were. We'd load different software versions knowing which ones had which problems and wouldn't affect a particular customer. Call in reporting an issue with a new version and they'd act like you were an idiot and it was your fault. We dropped them for a company called NEC that was very receptive to field techs input and rapidly implemented patches.

I think the difference was V****i is a US based company, NEC is a large Japanese company. It was obvious calling tech support, one generally knew less than we did, the other was staffed by very smart technicians and software engineers.

My guess is Stellantis knows the issue but it's cheaper for them to deal with repairs than to do a recall and fix the problem. This is a very traditional way for the manufacturers to handle things like this. It appears the Feds are looking at the K1 failures on '22s. How many of those guys had trouble with Stellantis getting it fixed with many out of pocket unreimbursed expenses? Stellantis KNEW they had a problem but said nothing until it couldn't be ignored.

Note: starred out the US company's name, don't need them to come after me. Any phone guy knows though. ;)

Look at past post of mine. My star case number is there, share that with your dealership. They have replace everything they know on my system and nothing has fixed it.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score

Once the lemon law got big, dealers were told the famous words on an invoice was “unable to duplicate complaint”. This kicks it down the road and makes a buyback harder. If they make it aware that there is a problem, many more trucks will be easier to lemon. They would rather not so their answer is oh never heard this before, maybe an update or new part will fix it down the road.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

I think MAF was the wrong place to start for you current regen issue, your data indicates that regens aren’t cleaning the DPF, the MAF won’t cause the DPF to read at 55% post regen.

The differential pressure sensors are a good start, but the DPF may be plugged beyond help as well.

The MAF could be the original issue, but won’t fix any damage that’s been done.

What is your DPF psid at operating temp, at idle, post regen?

It’s a CK oil, not a CJ oil correct?

I will reiterate, it was fine until around 15k and since then it's been getting worse and worse
Going to guess the issue was always there on some level, but it took that long to manifest as an issue and now the DPF can’t recover or is fully failed.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I think MAF was the wrong place to start for you current regen issue, your data indicates that regens aren’t cleaning the DPF, the MAF won’t cause the DPF to read at 55% post regen.

The differential pressure sensors are a good start, but the DPF may be plugged beyond help as well.

The MAF could be the original issue, but won’t fix any damage that’s been done.

What is your DPF psid at operating temp, at idle, post regen?

It’s a CK oil, not a CJ oil correct?

Going to guess the issue was always there on some level, but it took that long to manifest as an issue and now the DPF can’t recover or is fully failed.
As much as we probably don’t agree on things- you are spot on. The DPF can only work in a flawed system for so long until it fails and it causes other issues

Dinky503

Reaction score
Second regen 185miles since last and second one in 324miles since I picked it up from dealer. I still have smoke filling the cab and motor vibration is getting a touch worse. I went into the dealer for them to scan my truck and send information into Ram.

20240425_173636.jpg

Enve46

Reaction score
Second regen 185miles since last and second one in 324miles since I picked it up from dealer. I still have smoke filling the cab and motor vibration is getting a touch worse. I went into the dealer for them to scan my truck and send information into Ram.

View attachment 72206
Laughing at the hilariousness this thing is still driving and not back at Ram for diagnosis

Dinky503

Reaction score

Riddick

Reaction score
Why are they not addressing the smoke in the cab issue? Any exhaust or boost leaks prior to the DPF will 100% impact regen frequency. Fix the exhaust leak and reevaluate, come on RAM!

Users who are viewing this thread