Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much oil and poor dealer help

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
t's obvious something has failed. According to the spreadsheet it's been right from off the showroom floor to 100k miles or more. It seems, if the list is to be believed, on the vast majority of them it isn't repaired, even with some where virtually everything has been replaced.

Now, if this is true there's only one conceivable thing left isn't there?

Think about this, if the entire fuel system has been replaced, the entire emissions system, the turbo and all sensors, what else is there?

If it was software then everyone would experience the same issue at nearly the same time based on driving habits, it would effect a small percentage of trucks When I first got my truck it acted like my '18 towing. Regen started roughly every 900-1,000 miles then actual regen for about 12-20 miles. Now it regens towing < 300 miles and takes around 80 to 150 miles to regen. This is towing around a15k lb toyhauler @ 68 mph, way more than enough heavy load at 9 mpg. Driving around town it now just stays in regen.

My Scangauge readings now are all over the place making no sense whatsoever. It used to be a linear progression until it reached 100% and would then regen. Now during regen it may drop to say 85%, climb back to 100% for 5 or 6 miles, drop again, climb again then eventually only drop to around 55% and go out of regen. It never drops below 55% now.

The dash regen gauge does the same, climbs and drops with no rhyme or reason even on the highway towing, never going back to zero. It did none of this the first 15k.

This reminds me of an issue with motorcycle carbs around 2007. I had a number of customers that were having all kinds of problems with Kiehn carbs. Some of them were initially fine but slowly or suddenly got to the point you could not jet them correctly. Kiehn was of zero help. Well, it turned out to be a porosity issue with the mid body aluminium casting. Some of them where seeping fuel through the aluminium affecting the jetting. Fix, replace the carb.

Some of you may remember the Mopar Slant 6. They made some aluminium ones in the early 60's. We had some that would intermittently overheat. Chrysler was no help and usually when you opened them up there was nothing obvious. Well, it turned out the head gaskets would sometimes fractionally leak under heavy load but it would not show up on any compression or cooling system test. If you took them apart you didn't see the usual indications of a faulty head gasket either.

I'm not convinced on some of these there isn't an engine issue. Something not machined correctly, a material fault, who knows?

Old saying worth repeating, “When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

You might be right, I'm still thinking its more along the lines of the software. Its regardless a poor system. It would be interested to see data from deleted trucks of they have this issue. Obviously there isn't enough public data on it other than some social media posts of happy owners with no issues. I dont think that would be the complete and final answer but I dont think I've heard of this issue when someone went that route. It would be nice to see a member say hey I had this issue and I lost weight, problem of frequent regen and gaining oil went bye bye. If that was the case, it would sure point to failed DPF, software issues than a mechanical issue with the actual engine. I guess time will tell as people get out of warranty and fed up.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Well boys I triggered a regen after 116 miles after leaving the dealership Friday. When I come to a complete stop the cab fills full of smoke.

I happen to be on my way home work when it triggered and I happen to live 2 miles from the dealership. I pulled right into the service center and asked the manager to take a ride. He is baffled I was in regen after 116 miles and when the smoke filled the cab I could hear his guts sink. We were able to have a actual nice conversation with out name calling. I explained they need to start making phone call. I email Ram care again to put my truck in for a buy back.20240422_171230.jpg

Dinky503

Reaction score
Your truck is a real piece of crap, I’m sure we are in agreement on this. Ram cares, code 1?? Lol

Well the service manager can't deny it now. I have kids seat in the back and I asked would you want your kids riding in this thing? He didn't look to pleasant lol. I think I might have their attention now.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Well the service manager can't deny it now. I have kids seat in the back and I asked would you want your kids riding in this thing? He didn't look to pleasant lol. I think I might have their attention now.
As much as it would be nice to be fixed, I think with the engine damage and the hassle, this was a blessing.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Well boys I triggered a regen after 116 miles after leaving the dealership Friday. When I come to a complete stop the cab fills full of smoke.

I happen to be on my way home work when it triggered and I happen to live 2 miles from the dealership. I pulled right into the service center and asked the manager to take a ride. He is baffled I was in regen after 116 miles and when the smoke filled the cab I could hear his guts sink. We were able to have a actual nice conversation with out name calling. I explained they need to start making phone call. I email Ram care again to put my truck in for a buy back.View attachment 72101
Wow! This is a real live lemon POS. As has been mentioned above a couple of times, I'd hate to be a dealer right now with this crap. Poor guy probably wishes he were retired. I think now you're gong to be able to unload this POS with a full refund. Hopefully, they'll throw in some $'s for 'pain and frustration beyond all acceptable reason.'

Dinky503

Reaction score
Wow! This is a real live lemon POS. As has been mentioned above a couple of times, I'd hate to be a dealer right now with this crap. Poor guy probably wishes he were retired. I think now you're gong to be able to unload this POS with a full refund. Hopefully, they'll throw in some $'s for 'pain and frustration beyond all acceptable reason.'

Not many place to go from where we're at.

Riddick

Reaction score
Do you have details on the smoke in the cab? It could of been the first regen since the truck was put back together and it was just the oils and grease burning off the exhaust parts.

I listened to your video above and your engine sounds pretty good to me however, in my opinion there is long term damage to the internals. The only way I would keep your truck is if they replaced the entire engine. Even then as soon as I got it back I would delete everything emissions related. Keep fighting the fight but at this point if you get rid of your truck I don't think anyone can blame you.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Do you have details on the smoke in the cab? It could of been the first regen since the truck was put back together and it was just the oils and grease burning off the exhaust parts.

I listened to your video above and your engine sounds pretty good to me however, in my opinion there is long term damage to the internals. The only way I would keep your truck is if they replaced the entire engine. Even then as soon as I got it back I would delete everything emissions related. Keep fighting the fight but at this point if you get rid of your truck I don't think anyone can blame you.

The smoke was there last time I had it. This isn't a new issue and I went through 5 regens last time before it went back. My truck has been back to the dealership 3 times and a total of 14weeks. The sound in the video is not normal, if you were in person you would know.

Dinky503

Reaction score
New long block, new fuel system, new complete exhaust. If that doesn’t fix it then a long drive off a short cliff sounds reasonable.

Cost of whole new truck with labor lol. Dealership would be happy at this point if I drove it off a cliff. He said it was the nightmare of the dealership and are tired of working on it.

superjoe83

Reaction score
The smoke was there last time I had it. This isn't a new issue and I went through 5 regens last time before it went back. My truck has been back to the dealership 3 times and a total of 14weeks. The sound in the video is not normal, if you were in person you would know.

Was the smoke coming out of the tailpipe or engine compartment?
If it is coming out under the hood the most likely cause is an exhaust leak. Under normal operating conditions you won't notice a small leak, but when the ecm is actively dosing fuel for regeneration you will get smoke out of the leak

Dinky503

Reaction score
If it is coming out under the hood the most likely cause is an exhaust leak. Under normal operating conditions you won't notice a small leak, but when the ecm is actively dosing fuel for regeneration you will get smoke out of the leak

There probably is a leak but at this point it's too late. Truck probably won't be mine soon and I'll be driving something different.

Riddick

Reaction score

Superjoe is on point with his statement. It sounds like there is an exhaust leak somewhere which 100% can cause your excessive regeneration issues.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Superjoe is on point with his statement. It sounds like there is an exhaust leak somewhere which 100% can cause your excessive regeneration issues.

Probably but I told them about that back on February 5th when I last dropped it off. It Should of been fixed and here we are. The fact no one had listened to the customer is part of the reason we're here lol.

Enve46

Reaction score
Probably but I told them about that back on February 5th when I last dropped it off. It Should have been fixed and here we are. The fact no one had listened to the customer is part of the reason we're here lol.
Well I’m thankful it went into regen and you were able to get the manager in there to experience it. At least now there’s no refuting the issue at hand and something has to be done. That truck should get sent back to Ram engineers and have them figure it out themselves to come out with answers, which won’t happen but it should.

Get yourself a new truck, slap your suspension on it and move on is what I’m praying for you to get. This is probably one of the more wild cases I’ve seen in the 40 some cars I’ve owned

Users who are viewing this thread