Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much oil and poor dealer help

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
You wouldn’t necessarily be able to see a drop in the oil pressure because the oil pressure reading on the gauge isn’t an actual live pressure reading. There is no live oil pressure sensor on these trucks. It’s a ”yes / no” switch basically. If the oil pressure is above the minimum to activate the switch, you don’t get a notice. If the oil pressure goes below the minimum threshold to close the switch, the dummy light on the dash tells you no oil pressure. The psi readings you see on the instrument cluster are the result of an algorithm the pcm calculates based on a number of parameters. It’s an educated guess at best.

Yep. As long as you have 6 psi it reads “normal”.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Update!

I must be in Cartoon land..... I sent my oil test results Monday when I received them. No word untill now! This makes no sense, we just did this and now I need to pay more money?

IMG_20240130_142325.jpg

Units

Reaction score
Update!

I must be in Cartoon land..... I sent my oil test results Monday when I received them. No word untill now! This makes no sense, we just did this and now I need to pay more money?

View attachment 68637
Are they saying you need to pay money upfront and that you may get reimbursed if covered? Seems to me that if they’re trying to problem solve “per Chrysler” it would be covered?!? I would argue that if they are trying to make you pay for that, you should never be charged for warranty work.

Enve46

Reaction score
I’m confused, why would you be charged for an oil change AHEAD of schedule to diagnose a potential warranty issue?!? What a mess

Dinky503

Reaction score
Are they saying you need to pay money upfront and that you may get reimbursed if covered? Seems to me that if they’re trying to problem solve “per Chrysler” it would be covered?!? I would argue that if they are trying to make you pay for that, you should never be charged for warranty work.

I’m confused, why would you be charged for an oil change AHEAD of schedule to diagnose a potential warranty issue?!? What a mess

Yeah its Is unreal... they just replaced parts per chrysler.... and chrysler wants to do this test buy you pay for that. I have never seen that happen before bunch of jokers.

Riddick

Reaction score
Oil CONSUMPTION test? You just did a Oil PRODUCTION test on your own dime! They know first hand your oil level is rising and I don't understand why they want to do a consumption test. This is absolutely ridiculous, your dealership service department are nothing more than robots. They only do what they are programmed to do and refuse to use common sense. I have a hard time believing they provided FCA with the full history of what is going on here

While I don't agree with you paying for the first oil change I can see the logic in it. I would push pack 100% on paying for a second one, you just paid for one per their request.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Oil CONSUMPTION test? You just did a Oil PRODUCTION test on your own dime! They know first hand your oil level is rising and I don't understand why they want to do a consumption test. This is absolutely ridiculous, your dealership service department are nothing more than robots. They only do what they are programmed to do and refuse to use common sense. I have a hard time believing they provided FCA with the full history of what is going on here

While I don't agree with you paying for the first oil change I can see the logic in it. I would push pack 100% on paying for a second one, you just paid for one per their request.

I honestly think the dealer Is trying to make as much money off this as they can. If it goes to warranty they only get paid for parts and 50% labor. Parts of me want to pay for it to just say I told you do, but like you said I have already done that. I am nearing about $2000 out of pocket already, I am looking into what to do next. I will say this is the last time I ever step foot into this dealership ever.

Riddick

Reaction score
Also, one thing to add...... I would be hesitant to drive the truck 1000 miles on a fresh oil change after seeing how fast your oil level rose previously.

Dinky503

Reaction score
UPDATE!

Picked the truck up from the dealer on a fresh new oil change. They had a change of heart at the last min to not charge me anything. I will run the truck and document as I have and run it the next 500miles, return it on Monday. Pulled the dip stick before I left the lot and it was already over full... service advisor was standing there took notes and photo. I went home and cut the oil filter open, not shinny stuff but reeked of fuel. Wife sent me out for dinner so I drove the long way and put on 17miles on my truck filter is showing just over 1/4. This should be interesting run I'll keep everyone posted.20240131_163129.jpg
IMG_20240131_170745 (1).jpg20240131_174006.jpg20240131_164611.jpg20240131_174546.jpg

Last edited:

Units

Reaction score
Man, I would be beside myself. Best of luck.
With the issues I had with my ‘22 6.4l, If I start having issues with my Cummins, I would be forever jaded towards Ram. *knocks on wood

Dinky503

Reaction score
Man, I would be beside myself. Best of luck.
With the issues I had with my ‘22 6.4l, If I start having issues with my Cummins, I would be forever jaded towards Ram. *knocks on wood

Yeah its pretty depressing really, not knowing the end result is worse. I actually like my truck and have a lot of stuff done. 3500 that rides like a 2500 lol. I still don't think it's a Ram thing. I still think it was covid supply chain issues.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Driving my truck this morning since the oil change I have gone 40miles and already hit a regen cycle... with a new DPF. In 40miles used just over a 1/4 tank of fuel.

The clanking sound has gotten louder since the batteries were replace maybe they went bad again?

20240131_164605.jpgIMG_20240201_085233.jpg

flan

Reaction score
Thinned out oil has wiped out your lifters. Camshaft next. Turbo after that. Your going to be getting a new motor soon.
As we all know Batteries don’t cause lifter tap.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Might as well start cleaning out your cab now.

It will make it lighter for the lift too.

Surprised the oil doesn't look like it came out of a strip club.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Might as well start cleaning out your cab now.

It will make it lighter for the lift too.

Surprised the oil doesn't look like it came out of a strip club.

It smelled like it. Truck is pretty empty, I do have another work truck. Still a pain to switch gear back and forth doing all this testing for the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread