Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titan or S&B fuel tank

Don-T

Reaction score
Just installed a titan 52 gallon fuel tank on my 2021 Ram 2500 CCSB. Love it. Paid an installer and honestly I should have done it myself. Not bad at all. Updated the computer to recognized the new tank size best I could. So far about 1000 or so miles of range on a single tank.
I have about the same experience with mine. I drive the truck easy and as long as I am not towing I get 19 to 20 MPG. I can just about do all day without filling up. I had my Titan tank installed by a local 4x4 shop. It took them a few hours to get it done. The cost was just over $1600 for parts and labor.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Just installed a titan 52 gallon fuel tank on my 2021 Ram 2500 CCSB. Love it. Paid an installer and honestly I should have done it myself. Not bad at all. Updated the computer to recognized the new tank size best I could. So far about 1000 or so miles of range on a single tank.
How did you reset the new tank size...was it simple? I checked with an installer and they want $1600 for the tank/install, and another $400 for the tank size reset LOL. Jeez...

Arth

Reaction score
How did you reset the new tank size...was it simple? I checked with an installer and they want $1600 for the tank/install, and another $400 for the tank size reset LOL. Jeez...
Simple.

I have AlfaOBD and did it myself.

R.J.

Reaction score
The tank straps were annoying but it was an easy install.

Anyone know the torque spec on the strap nuts?

Will_T

Reaction score
The tank straps were annoying but it was an easy install.

Anyone know the torque spec on the strap nuts?
I just looked at the paperwork that came with mine and don't see the torque, but tomorrow Titan will be open and I have found them to be very forthcoming and helpful with info.

Not sure exactly what truck you have, but once you got the tank strapped in place, were you happy with the space between the rear fuel filter and the side of the tank? On mine when the installation was finished the tank and filter were touching. I believe they could have loosened the straps a bit and moved the tank a quarter inch or so but instead they loosened the bracket holding the fuel filter and made space that way. I did not want them rubbing on each other. Also wanted to make sure the filter housing was OK for filter changes.

R.J.

Reaction score
I just looked at the paperwork that came with mine and don't see the torque, but tomorrow Titan will be open and I have found them to be very forthcoming and helpful with info.

Not sure exactly what truck you have, but once you got the tank strapped in place, were you happy with the space between the rear fuel filter and the side of the tank? On mine when the installation was finished the tank and filter were touching. I believe they could have loosened the straps a bit and moved the tank a quarter inch or so but instead they loosened the bracket holding the fuel filter and made space that way. I did not want them rubbing on each other. Also wanted to make sure the filter housing was OK for filter changes.

Lol, there was zero clearance between the filter for myself as well. Also, the tank will also contact the DEF fill tube if you don't line everything up. Since you have to "reshape" the straps, it will try and pull the tank in the wrong direction when you first tighten everything down.

This is what I did:

1 - Tighten the straps to allow them to take an initial shape.

2- Loosened straps again and physically moved tank aft to clear DEF tube. Inserted small plastic shim between tank and filter housing.

3- Tightened both straps down while checking the clearance.

The filter housing now has an 1/8" space and the DEF tube is free.

I added some extra zip tie cables to the DEF tubing and the fuel line. I didn't like them just flopping around as they would probably wear a hole over time. I would have liked to see a plastic bracket for the pipes like the OEM tank had.

Will_T

Reaction score
Thanks for that summary. If you do call Titan, give them that feedback for future design.

Because I did not do the install myself, I am not sure what you mean exactly about the DEF fill tube but I will look up under there tomorrow. Hopefully mine is OK. Or at least can be zip tied away from the tank a bit.

If you had 1/8" clearance after the install, but that was with the tank unfilled, check again after filling. I had clearance when the tank was empty but once filled, it expanded and touched the filter. So once the filter bracket was loosened and moved/tilted a bit I then had maybe 1/4" clearance when full and a bit more than that as the tank empties below 1/2 full.

My biggest concern about these clearances is washboard gravel roads. Those can loosen or move almost anything around. So far my tank has stayed put but soon I will be pulling my TT up 12 miles of washboard so that will be a real test. I hope I still have clearance with the filter after that!

AZ Sooner

Reaction score
Well I finally got around to installing the Titan 50 gallon today. It was a pain in my rear. It was an all day project. The brackets seemed to be the hardest, trying to get the tank in and aligned straight. Also got the calibration done, so distance to miles are correct. Happy to have a full 50 gallons towing.

Attachments

• 20210926_105858.jpg
    20210926_105858.jpg
    898 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210926_105702.jpg
    20210926_105702.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • 20210926_172348.jpg
    20210926_172348.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 79

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
Well I finally got around to installing the Titan 50 gallon today. It was a pain in my rear. It was an all day project. The brackets seemed to be the hardest, trying to get the tank in and aligned straight. Also got the calibration done, so distance to miles are correct. Happy to have a full 50 gallons towing.
Looks good. At least the cards won ;)

How much past the frame does it hang down?

Grayson

Reaction score
I definitely need one of these and would definitely recommend Titan based on issues I've read with other brands.

usafakid09

Reaction score
I definitely need one of these and would definitely recommend Titan based on issues I've read with other brands.
Curious; what have you heard about S&B (that's what I bought)? S&B seems to be easier to incorporate systems like a Fass without having to drill holes for a sump or draw straw.

AZ Sooner

Reaction score
Yes I had a buddy of mine his S&B tank swelled and cracked, they told him its a know issue.

AZ Sooner

Reaction score
I heard about similar complaints when they first came out. I hope they remedied that. S&B is usually known to make good stuff.
They did, he was in Oregon on vacation when it happened, he contacted S&B, they overnighted him a tank to a shop and pay for everything, awesome customer service but they said its a known issue

J-J

Reaction score
What software did you get to do the calibration for the new capacity? My 2022will need the same upgrade..

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread