Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titan fuel tank install

daemonic3

Reaction score
I doubt #3 causes spillover. I would bet that high flow nozzles shut off too early because of venting issues.

My first interpretation of bullet #3 was that it will keep shutting off so you have to *manually* hold it there the whole time. I hope that at the end it still would do a click but now I'm intrigued by what the bullet actually means.

I had another question: For those that had a professional install done, did they re-sticker your yellow sticker to indicate the new payload with modifications? I have a friend with a 2500 and a small 5er who has always hated his 31gal tank but is concerned about payload with this upgrade. I figure ~150# of extra diesel capacity but not sure how much more the tank itself weighs. S&B says theirs weighs 40# and Titan does not say. But I don't know how much the OEM tank weighs that it is replacing.

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
Accordiing to info on each supplier’s website, the S&B sits 4.5 inches lower than OEM while the Titan sits only 2.5 inches lower than OEM. That’s why I went with the Titan. I purchased directly from Titan and did a self-install. The Titan guys were great to work with.

i made a tool using a steel bar and #8 5/16s bolts to remove and reinstall the sending unit collar. I don’t like banging on mechanical and electronic stuff.

I don’t know why RAM doesn’t offer these larger tanks. I made two trips with the OEM tank pulling a big 5th wheel and spent the whole time thinking about the next fuel stop.
There's a video of a guy that purchased the Titan first and then after not being satisfied with the amount of flex it had, he went with the s&b. He noted that it looked close to the same drop or less with the s&b and not nearly as much flex.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
My first interpretation of bullet #3 was that it will keep shutting off so you have to *manually* hold it there the whole time. I hope that at the end it still would do a click but now I'm intrigued by what the bullet actually means.

I had another question: For those that had a professional install done, did they re-sticker your yellow sticker to indicate the new payload with modifications? I have a friend with a 2500 and a small 5er who has always hated his 31gal tank but is concerned about payload with this upgrade. I figure ~150# of extra diesel capacity but not sure how much more the tank itself weighs. S&B says theirs weighs 40# and Titan does not say. But I don't know how much the OEM tank weighs that it is replacing.
The nozzle should shut off, even if you are holding it open.

My friend has his tank done at a truck accessories shop. No resticker on payload but it does reduce it. You are close. The 19 gallons of diesel is about 134#. I thought the tanks weighted about the same. The OEM tank has the extra heat shield while the aftermarket tanks do not. I subtracted 135# from my available payload.

daemonic3

Reaction score
The nozzle should shut off, even if you are holding it open.

My friend has his tank done at a truck accessories shop. No resticker on payload but it does reduce it. You are close. The 19 gallons of diesel is about 134#. I thought the tanks weighted about the same. The OEM tank has the extra heat shield while the aftermarket tanks do not. I subtracted 135# from my available payload.

Interesting about the heat shield. Is Ram just being overly cautious or are they made of different material that isn't susceptible to heat? That's really interesting.

I did a chat with S&B while on the site and asked the guy about the 3rd bullet regarding the high flow. He said they aren't designed to take in high flow, and will click off when you try to fill it, even if holding down the trigger manually. I don't know if that's the experience that users are seeing, but that's what he said.

phyler

Reaction score
I went S&B just because it was cheaper than the Titan. I had issues with the 31gal tank at the truck stops. The S&B acts the same for me. I just put it on the slow setting and let it go. Still goes pretty quick and when you have 40' if trailer behind you, it sure beats dealing with anything else. :)

I wish I had done the larger tank as soon as I got the truck. The additional distance is incredible. Did it in the driveway in about 3-4 hours by myself. Wasn't too bad, just took my time.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Interesting about the heat shield. Is Ram just being overly cautious or are they made of different material that isn't susceptible to heat? That's really interesting.

I did a chat with S&B while on the site and asked the guy about the 3rd bullet regarding the high flow. He said they aren't designed to take in high flow, and will click off when you try to fill it, even if holding down the trigger manually. I don't know if that's the experience that users are seeing, but that's what he said.
I wondered about the heat shield when I did the Titan install. I'm not too concerned because, for the most part, there is so much air moving past there I doubt the tank feels any heat from the exhaust system. If you were sitting in traffic in Phoenix in June a lot, that might be a different story. Also, the OEM tanks are thin metal and the aftermarket tanks are thick composite so much better insulators.

RockaRhyme

Reaction score
Just finished up my second Titan tank install. I had installed a 50g Titan on my '22 2500 CCSB when I got that and have now installed a 52g on my '24 3500 Mega Cab short bed SRW. Overall it's a very technically easy install, but with cramped working space don't expect to be done in 1-2 hours...unless you have very small hands and very long arms. Depending on the tank there's only 4-6 connections; 3 to the sending unit plus fuel fill and vent tubes

1. Both installs took roughly 5 hours from start to finish in a driveway with the truck on jack stands. I'm not including time it took me to syphon the fuel between the two tanks... have a plan for that BTW!
    • For the 2500 I syphoned the fuel over before I installed the new tank
    • for the 3500 I syphoned after the new tank was installed.
    • I preferred doing the install with an empty tank personally.
  2. In both cases, I think it could be done without lifting the truck, but lifting was helpful in that I could remove the rear driver's side wheel and tire for easier access to the fuel fills AND these tanks are much taller than the stock so it was easier to get them under the truck for the install.
  3. The most difficult part is disconnecting the connections. Use your cell phone camera or whatever you might have to take photos of all the connections and get the lay of the land. It'll be handy when you're trying to disconnect/reconnect them all blindly.
  4. It's important to understand how each of the disconnects work too! watch some videos online to see how their locking mechanisms work.
  5. the 2500 was definitely a harder install due to the lack of the space, but not significantly.
  6. In both cases I could NOT get the fuel sending unit locking ring to seat property with the Titan provided o-ring and used the factory o-ring instead. With the Titan o-ring the locking ring was very very tight and I was concerned that I was going to break something trying to turn the damn thing -OR- that I was going to over-adjust if I tried to modify the locking ring to make it easier to turn. The factory o-ring was plenty tight, to the point that it was only slightly easier to install, and I've got zero worries that'll it'll be fine.
  7. I used a hydraulic cart to lower the old tank and lift the new tank in place. Wish I had had one when I did the 2500.
  8. Dry fit the new tank straps while there's no tank in place! the 3500 went great, but one of the straps that came for the 2500 required a little grinding before it'd fit into it's mounting bracket on the frame.
  9. I haven't updated my fuel capacity in the computer with alfaobd. Had started to go down that road, but the tank reads right once those extra gallons are consumed and milage updates accordingly... I found I wasn't looking at my fuel gauge with any interest until it showed half or less anyway and I reset the trip each time I refill, so I had a good sense of how far I could go on a full tank. Just never found myself wishing I had made the adjustment and so never pursued it.
  10. On the MCSB there's a vent tube from the forward(short) end to the back(tall) end of the tank. I assume it's there just to help get any air trapped in the front of the tank back to the taller part of the tank to be vented. I pulled the hose off and put a hose clamp on at both ends, just for my own piece of mind. they were reasonably tight on the fittings, but they can be pulled off without any real effort and I had the clamps laying around.

I've read a few posts comparing the Titan and S&B tanks. My bet is that either is a great choice. I wanted to clarify though that the Titan tanks are different between the crew cab short bed and the mega cab (and probably again for the long bed) and some of the feedback isn't applicable to both of them.
  • The CCSB tank wraps around the frame a little and so hangs down a bit more. Personally, it took me all of 30 minutes to completely forget it was there. Some folks notice those things and some don't. I AM the type though that notices the .5" of lean in the truck and that the bed is .25" off left to right from the cab and have to make a conscious effort to ignore and accept those things. The tank though, didn't bother me in the least. You can't see it unless you're laying down next to the truck, but even then you appreciate the extra milage and seeing the tank reminds you of all the good times the two of you have had.
  • The MCSB tank hangs down more than the stock tanks, but not nearly as much as the CCSB tank and it doesn't wrap around the frame... someone who doesn't know that an aftermarket tank has been installed would never notice it.
  • The CCSB does droop a little toward the front and sags a bit between the straps due shape of the thing, but it's only natural and not anywhere near the point that it's concerning.
  • The MCSB 52 gallon tank comes with an additional 3rd "strap" (it's really just a bracket) that bolts onto the frame and supports the longer tank. I've only had the tank installed for 2 days now, but filled up I don't see any droop or sag. I won't see any droop, I'm sure; sag between the straps I doubt I'll see, but we'll need some warmer weather before I can be sure

Overall I've been really impressed with the quality of both my Titan tanks and have ZERO complaints. They hold fuel and otherwise keep their mouths shut.

Users who are viewing this thread