Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titan fuel tank install

Reaction score
I have a 23 crew cab "short" bed. The 52 gallon worked for me.
Thank you. Were you able to change the computer to show updated DTE etc? Or it’s still based on the 31 gal tank? Or did it learn and figure out on its own that you have a larger tank? I see conflicting reviews on the 23 & 24 computers. S&B said that these years they don’t have a computer solution yet for DTE.

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
Thank you. Were you able to change the computer to show updated DTE etc? Or it’s still based on the 31 gal tank? Or did it learn and figure out on its own that you have a larger tank? I see conflicting reviews on the 23 & 24 computers. S&B said that these years they don’t have a computer solution yet for DTE.
Yes, DTE was changed without issues with Alfaobd. The full-empty indicator is still set on the original which isn't a big deal. You get used to it start reflecting the tank level after you go 200-275 miles depending on mileage. I reset my trip a at every fill up.PXL_20240201_221630025~3.jpg

Reaction score
Yes, DTE was changed without issues with Alfaobd. The full-empty indicator is still set on the original which isn't a big deal. You get used to it start reflecting the tank level after you go 200-275 miles depending on mileage. I reset my trip a at every fill up.View attachment 68759
I have a ‘24 with the full digital display. I wonder if that’s why S&B was saying it’s different and they don’t know of the ability to change it yet?

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
I have a ‘24 with the full digital display. I wonder if that’s why S&B was saying it’s different and they don’t know of the ability to change it yet?
You can msg @Jimmy07. He converted to the digital cluster and is well versed in all that alfaobd can do. I think s&b is just being cautious since it's a new year vehicle and can't keep up with the changes the manufacturers make on a year to year basis.

Reaction score
Just got the S&B 52gal installed and it blends in perfectly and looks very factory. This pic was taken from belt level. If I kneel down i see the tank but even then, it curves in and looks very oem. Success!
We did not change the computer so the DTE did not change.
I’ll explore getting the DTE set when I come in for an oil change and maybe some other goodies.

Attachments

• IMG_3666.png
    IMG_3666.png
    961.4 KB · Views: 32

RAM_GA

Reaction score
Yes, DTE was changed without issues with Alfaobd. The full-empty indicator is still set on the original which isn't a big deal. You get used to it start reflecting the tank level after you go 200-275 miles depending on mileage. I reset my trip a at every fill up.View attachment 68759
Which adapter did you use to connect to your RAM with AlfaODB?

daemonic3

Reaction score
Hello, I have a '24 CCSB 3500 arriving in about 3 weeks and I'm interested in the fuel tank upgrade since 31 is a little tough on towing long distances.

Looks like S&B is more popular and better quality, but only Titan offers a CCSB upgrade to 52.

It looks like (what I gather from threads here) the DTE calc can be fixed by updating the tank size field in the BCM. But it is currently unknown how to get the gauge (analog or digital) in the cluster correct over the full range? Also, does anyone know if the tank size affects the MPG reported by the computer? I would think not since it reports "instantaneous" and must be integrating the average but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hello, I have a '24 CCSB 3500 arriving in about 3 weeks and I'm interested in the fuel tank upgrade since 31 is a little tough on towing long distances.

Looks like S&B is more popular and better quality, but only Titan offers a CCSB upgrade to 52.

It looks like (what I gather from threads here) the DTE calc can be fixed by updating the tank size field in the BCM. But it is currently unknown how to get the gauge (analog or digital) in the cluster correct over the full range? Also, does anyone know if the tank size affects the MPG reported by the computer? I would think not since it reports "instantaneous" and must be integrating the average but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
I strongly recommend the S&B since I drive my truck pretty hard and the thing is rock solid and my installer commented on the quality of it. Also the way it sits more flush mounted and curved. But nothing wrong with the Titan at all. Just if you have a choice, I say go with the S&B.

I haven’t changed any settings yet so it just stays on full for a while.

The mpg does not seem to be affected.

daemonic3

Reaction score
I strongly recommend the S&B since I drive my truck pretty hard and the thing is rock solid and my installer commented on the quality of it. Also the way it sits more flush mounted and curved. But nothing wrong with the Titan at all. Just if you have a choice, I say go with the S&B.

As I mentioned, only Titan has a crew cab short bed option. S&B only has mega cab and long bed. Otherwise based on the feedback I would start with S&B.

Yours staying on full is the digital or analog needle?

Also I've used Forscan several times with 3 different Fords, I assume Alfa should use the same OBD to usb cable right? I should probably start looking into it before I get my truck to see what I'll need for little tweaks.

usernamechecksout

Reaction score

Thanks!
I have the S&B 52 gal tank on a '23 2500 crew cab short bed. works great! (https://sbfilters.com/products/52-gal-tank-cummins)

have corrected the DTE via alfaobd. no issues with MPG being affected.

I have looked high and low into how to correct the gauge itself but there doesnt really seem to be any real solutions, primarily because these after market tanks gaina bunch of their carrying capacity above the original tanks fill level. With the gauge using a float to gauge fill level, it will never be able to read all that extra fuel because the gauge doesnt know its there. If you changed the sensor to a pressure sensor instead of a float it would work.

If you happen to find any solutions, please come back and post!

daemonic3

Reaction score
I have the S&B 52 gal tank on a '23 2500 crew cab short bed. works great! (https://sbfilters.com/products/52-gal-tank-cummins)

have corrected the DTE via alfaobd. no issues with MPG being affected.

I have looked high and low into how to correct the gauge itself but there doesnt really seem to be any real solutions, primarily because these after market tanks gaina bunch of their carrying capacity above the original tanks fill level. With the gauge using a float to gauge fill level, it will never be able to read all that extra fuel because the gauge doesnt know its there. If you changed the sensor to a pressure sensor instead of a float it would work.

If you happen to find any solutions, please come back and post!
Oh, this is good to know! That product link only says up to 2023, which explains why it doesn't show up when I search based on 2024 3500. I'll check with them directly to see if it's just a database error since S&B seems to be more favored than Titan.

The floating sensor issue makes sense. I guess we just have to train ourselves to remember use our memory and DTE to know how much of the upper 40% we've used.

Thorvald

Reaction score
I had no idea there were some gotchas with these tanks, here is S&B website:

Important Notes:
  • The fuel gauge will continue to work however the distance to empty will not be accurate. There is no way to update the fuel tank size for the distance to empty to be accurate.
  • OEM sending unit & float are reused because the S&B Tank is taller the gauge will stay on full for the first 8-10 gallons.
  • The nozzle at high-flow fuel stations(truck stops) will not be able to fill automatically.
I assume the first issue we can solve with AlphaOBD but issue number 3 is odd???? Why won’t truck stop pumps auto shut off? Will it spill over if locked open while filling?!?!?

If so that is a major safety issue and surprised it can be sold.

—-

I checked the Titan website and it does not list item #3 as an issue so that is a huge plus of the Titan over S&B right there. They also provide the answer to #1, use AlphaOBD.

Dodgeman

Reaction score

Accordiing to info on each supplier’s website, the S&B sits 4.5 inches lower than OEM while the Titan sits only 2.5 inches lower than OEM. That’s why I went with the Titan. I purchased directly from Titan and did a self-install. The Titan guys were great to work with.

i made a tool using a steel bar and #8 5/16s bolts to remove and reinstall the sending unit collar. I don’t like banging on mechanical and electronic stuff.

I don’t know why RAM doesn’t offer these larger tanks. I made two trips with the OEM tank pulling a big 5th wheel and spent the whole time thinking about the next fuel stop.

Last edited:

Dodgeman

Reaction score
I had no idea there were some gotchas with these tanks, here is S&B website:

Important Notes:
  • The fuel gauge will continue to work however the distance to empty will not be accurate. There is no way to update the fuel tank size for the distance to empty to be accurate.
  • OEM sending unit & float are reused because the S&B Tank is taller the gauge will stay on full for the first 8-10 gallons.
  • The nozzle at high-flow fuel stations(truck stops) will not be able to fill automatically.
I assume the first issue we can solve with AlphaOBD but issue number 3 is odd???? Why won’t truck stop pumps auto shut off? Will it spill over if locked open while filling?!?!?

If so that is a major safety issue and surprised it can be sold.

—-

I checked the Titan website and it does not list item #3 as an issue so that is a huge plus of the Titan over S&B right there. They also provide the answer to #1, use AlphaOBD.
I doubt #3 causes spillover. I would bet that high flow nozzles shut off too early because of venting issues.

Users who are viewing this thread