Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank for Megacab

rymorg

Reaction score
Anyone have the Titan 50 gallon tank installed in their Megacab? I was thinking about doing this to get some extra range while towing. If anyone has it - any issues? Also, if you don't mind sharing what was the total cost of the tank + install? Thanks!

rymorg

Reaction score
Thanks, I saw that thread. I’m curious on the 50 gallon replacement thank. With the Megacab being a short bed, the Aux tank isn’t really an option for me.

MSundet

Reaction score
Anyone have the Titan 50 gallon tank installed in their Megacab? I was thinking about doing this to get some extra range while towing. If anyone has it - any issues? Also, if you don't mind sharing what was the total cost of the tank + install? Thanks!

I would like a larger tank but I can’t find one for under my truck .... anyone ? I can’t fill my 6’4” mega cab bed with my 5th wheel gear....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patricio2626

Reaction score
I have the 52 gal for the crew cab short bed. I bought it through CarID, who price matched Thoroughbred's price. They told me install was 2 hours, but my guy spent 4 and had to do some hacking for it to fit(!) It sure is nice being able to leisurely wait for gas stations with good prices on diesel when towing the travel trailer, and gives comfort when in remote stretches (Dakotas, WY, ID, etc.)

ramazing916

Reaction score
I had the 50 Gal installed about a month ago. I have a 2019 3500 Megacab (short bed), so the factory tank was 31 Gal Just wasnt enough when towing my 5th wheel, as we sometimes drive 350 miles in a day, so that meant truck stops. New tank so far has been good, I got 580 miles when the light came on - took 42 Gal to refill. Thats all city driving, I will pull RV in a month, but I am excited about not having to stop. It gets stressful when needing fuel during a long trip and you don't know the area, and I am too big to use a gas station.
The gas gauge doesn't seem to move linear, but thats ok. My range calc is off (i expected that), so I will just use my trip computers. Knowing I have 8 Gal left on red is good to know, thats 80 miles towing until empty.
Overall I am very pleased I went and did this - just wish it would have been a factory option.

rymorg

Reaction score
I had the 50 Gal installed about a month ago. I have a 2019 3500 Megacab (short bed), so the factory tank was 31 Gal Just wasnt enough when towing my 5th wheel, as we sometimes drive 350 miles in a day, so that meant truck stops. New tank so far has been good, I got 580 miles when the light came on - took 42 Gal to refill. Thats all city driving, I will pull RV in a month, but I am excited about not having to stop. It gets stressful when needing fuel during a long trip and you don't know the area, and I am too big to use a gas station.
The gas gauge doesn't seem to move linear, but thats ok. My range calc is off (i expected that), so I will just use my trip computers. Knowing I have 8 Gal left on red is good to know, thats 80 miles towing until empty.
Overall I am very pleased I went and did this - just wish it would have been a factory option.

Great, thanks for the feedback! That is my same concern. We tow a fifth wheel and usually get 9.5 - 12 MPG so far. The extra 19 gallons would mean that I could (mostly) wait to fuel up until we stop for the night. Do you mind sharing the total cost for your tank + install?

Thanks!

ramazing916

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the feedback! That is my same concern. We tow a fifth wheel and usually get 9.5 - 12 MPG so far. The extra 19 gallons would mean that I could (mostly) wait to fuel up until we stop for the night. Do you mind sharing the total cost for your tank + install?

Thanks!
Those are about my MPG when I tow too. I found that a lot of truck stops had switched to biodiesel which isnt good for our trucks, so that added things when planning legs. Now, I feel we can drive our max hours in a day and not stop for fuel (pee breaks can be made a regular rest stops). As for cost, it was $2,000 out the door. I used the Titan website to get auth dealers in my area, then gave 3 a call to get quotes. Highest was $2,500, so I feel I got a good price, and know it has a warranty. For a 10+ year vehicle, its not bas spreading the cost - plus the reduced stress with wife/kids is worth any price!

switz

Reaction score
Yes, I have the Titan tank on a short bed dually. If you get one, your DTE will be off. I used the Alpha program and was able to change the setting to get it to 50 gallons. Work like a charm.

ramazing916

Reaction score
Yes, I have the Titan tank on a short bed dually. If you get one, your DTE will be off. I used the Alpha program and was able to change the setting to get it to 50 gallons. Work like a charm.
Whats the Alpha program?

ramazing916

Reaction score
Can the dealer update the settings to say I have 50 Gal tank?

rymorg

Reaction score
Those are about my MPG when I tow too. I found that a lot of truck stops had switched to biodiesel which isnt good for our trucks, so that added things when planning legs. Now, I feel we can drive our max hours in a day and not stop for fuel (pee breaks can be made a regular rest stops). As for cost, it was $2,000 out the door. I used the Titan website to get auth dealers in my area, then gave 3 a call to get quotes. Highest was $2,500, so I feel I got a good price, and know it has a warranty. For a 10+ year vehicle, its not bas spreading the cost - plus the reduced stress with wife/kids is worth any price!
Thanks, appreciate it!

RV_Goose

Reaction score
When I get my tank done, I be talking the you about this.

jeffn

Reaction score
when I am hauling my trailer I get about 320 miles per tank but I’ll cover up to 1k miles a day. Having to fuel up with a 28’+ trailer is a bit of a PITA and being conscious of good and bad fuel locations, it means I’ll often be getting fuel with 75 miles left in the tank. I could put an aux tank in when I am on the receiver hitch or gooseneck, but if I put my 5th wheel in then I am limited in size. I also need to be able to fuel my tractor so a transfer tank has added benefit. However, I really like the Titan replacement tank option but am worried about getting the truck flashed to reflect the larger tank and this truck is new, so I don’t want any warranty issues. If you use an aftermarket OBD tool, do dealer visits revert the computer back to factory settings?

Users who are viewing this thread