Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ticking. Fan Cluch? Pulley? Belt?

Cummins3

Reaction score
Anyone have this noise that has identified and fix??? Has ticked since new does with AC on or off defrost on or off..climate controls on or off. Same

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Angry squirrel? No responses so maybe yours is one of a kind. If you/dealership figure it out please post back I’m intrigued.

Burton12387

Reaction score
I have the same noise, not present right at startup, but comes on as things get moving for a bit.

My dealer tech suspected the alternator clutch/pulley, but ram told them to change the belt first and see if that fixed it. New belt didn’t fix it.

My guess would be fan/alternator clutch/pulley.

I’m waiting till mine goes back in for the 68rfe recall to have them mess with it again.

It’s embarrassing to have a brand new truck that chirps like some 30 year old Buick at idle. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burton12387

Reaction score
I guess I should clarify; 30 year old car. Don’t need any Buick lover getting butt hurt over a generalized comment.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Anyone have this noise that has identified and fix??? Has ticked since new does with AC on or off defrost on or off..climate controls on or off. Same

Hey, Azervos3. Have you had the chance to visit your dealer for this? We do recommend an appointment so the dealer team can pinpoint the cause of your concerns. If you'd like assistance, just send us a private message.

Kate
RamCares

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I have the same noise, not present right at startup, but comes on as things get moving for a bit.

My dealer tech suspected the alternator clutch/pulley, but ram told them to change the belt first and see if that fixed it. New belt didn’t fix it.

My guess would be fan/alternator clutch/pulley.

I’m waiting till mine goes back in for the 68rfe recall to have them mess with it again.

It’s embarrassing to have a brand new truck that chirps like some 30 year old Buick at idle. Sigh.

This certainly sounds frustrating, Burton12387. Please let us know what the dealer says when you visit to have your recall taken care of. If you need any assistance with either concern, please let us know.

Kate
RamCares

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram cares I don't have time to waste to bring to dealer for them to tell me we can't duplicate problem or it's normal,. When I get some free time I might but till then if like to find out exactly what it is. Is there a way to find out if they have a qualified diesel mechanic at a specific dealer???

Will do great white

Burton I might do the same when it goes for recall I'll have them look but I know exactly the response...lol..

Burton12387

Reaction score
This certainly sounds frustrating, Burton12387. Please let us know what the dealer says when you visit to have your recall taken care of. If you need any assistance with either concern, please let us know.

Kate
RamCares

I ended up making an appoitment for Monday, 2/24, for my dealership service department to look at it for a second time. I also sent @RamCares a message with some more specifics of the situation as well as other questions.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I ended up making an appoitment for Monday, 2/24, for my dealership service department to look at it for a second time. I also sent @RamCares a message with some more specifics of the situation as well as other questions.

Thanks for the heads up, Burton12387. I'll follow up with you there.

Kate
RamCares

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Ram cares I don't have time to waste to bring to dealer for them to tell me we can't duplicate problem or it's normal,. When I get some free time I might but till then if like to find out exactly what it is. Is there a way to find out if they have a qualified diesel mechanic at a specific dealer???

Will do great white

Burton I might do the same when it goes for recall I'll have them look but I know exactly the response...lol..

Hi Azervos3,

I certainly understand your sentiments here. Please know that our dealers are independently owned and with that they will be in the best position to advise as to whether they have a qualified diesel tech. Our team is just a PM away and we are happy to provide support when you do work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

mrandersuun

Reaction score

SAME EXACT NOISE! i had 400 miles on it when i noticed. been in the shop 2 weeks. hard to diagnose because it stopped and they have to go drive it to get it to start again and then it stops. they opened a star case today on it. SO frustrating.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score

SAME EXACT NOISE! i had 400 miles on it when i noticed. been in the shop 2 weeks. hard to diagnose because it stopped and they have to go drive it to get it to start again and then it stops. they opened a star case today on it. SO frustrating.

Hi mrandersuun,

I just reached out to you on the thread that you started, but wanted to check in with you here to let you know! Hope to hear from you via PM soon.

Mark
RamCares

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I should stay out of the forums. I continue to have second thoughts more than once daily about this new 2020 3500 HO due here NLT 3/9/20 every time I see one of these threads.

While my 2004.5 has some other minor issues including a few owner induced, the engine and everything attached to it have been rock solid going into 16 years and (only) 72K miles.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I should stay out of the forums. I continue to have second thoughts more than once daily about this new 2020 3500 HO due here NLT 3/9/20 every time I see one of these threads.

While my 2004.5 has some other minor issues including a few owner induced, the engine and everything attached to it have been rock solid going into 16 years and (only) 72K miles.
Yes that is the ‘’down side’’ of the knowledge of a forum. You might be picking up your new one wearing a tin foil hat!:p

mrandersuun

Reaction score
Well gents, engineers sent an audio file to the dealership that matches mine. Normal operation having to do with the EGR on the newer models. Picking my truck up tomorrow after 16 full days of nothing. Basic words of the dealership is that these are so new they're not familiar with the normal sounds of a lot of the systems... so that's why they couldn't diagnose or give a clean bill of health but they say the Star report came back as normal sounds. Will be interested to hear what Burton and Azervos are told. I'll be around waiting to hear!

Users who are viewing this thread