Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thuren rear track bar install

Trooper

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody here has installed the Thuren rear track bar?
It looks like it should be a 20 minute job all you needed to do is open up 3 holes to 1/2"... however after 3 hours still could not get all 5 bolts on the new mounting point to line up! The instructions are simple
I can make it work my way, just didn't have everything needed on hand at the time, questioning the quality and feedback of those with it installed, maybe I won't bother with it

jabartram

Reaction score
i just did mine a week ago, left the wheels on, only used a ratchet strap to pull the muffler far enough to remove the track bar bolt.
you will need 1/2 drill bit and a 9/16 drill bit. Its not a 20 minute job, im a life long mechanic and took me an hour. its kind of a pain in the ass, but well worth it, i noticed the difference immediately.

pdavey

Reaction score
I have done it as well. Easily an hour job with the wheels on. Ratchet strap for muffler is right on. Will make your life easier.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Trooper

Reaction score
Well not sure the need for ratchet strap on the muffler, the issue I have is aligning the bolts on the axle side which is opposite site of muffler.
I got the bigger drill's tonight so will open the holes on the Thuren brackets over the weekend, I will post pictures of the poor alignment.
I do most work myself, this has been the most aggravating of all for years for something so simple.
Rachet strap to pull the bracket may help a little and am hoping there is a good difference :)

jabartram

Reaction score
Thats strange, i had mild aligning issues with the front bar, but the factory rear bar popped right out and thuren bar popped right in.

Suspension wise, my truck now rides smoother and feels crisp and responsive at the same time.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trooper

Reaction score
Got it in today, opened up the hole on the Thuren bracket that allows the OEM mount bolt though, needed a little bit of pry bar leverage to get both ends in though, now to test it out, the hour I drove today was in traffic.
For the effort of installing it had better be as good as some of you have indicated above! :)

Surprisingly there was no grease in the joints, everything else I have from Thuren was clearly greased, took a quite a bit of pumping to get the grease needed and through.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Got it in today, opened up the hole on the Thuren bracket that allows the OEM mount bolt though, needed a little bit of pry bar leverage to get both ends in though, now to test it out, the hour I drove today was in traffic.
For the effort of installing it had better be as good as some of you have indicated above! :)

Surprisingly there was no grease in the joints, everything else I have from Thuren was clearly greased, took a quite a bit of pumping to get the grease needed and through.

I have thought about adding this to mine. Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Trooper

Reaction score
I have thought about adding this to mine. Looking forward to hearing your feedback.
Apart from being a pain to fit due to alignment of the holes.. the drive feels like it has slightly less rear roll. I would occasionally feel like the rear was shifting on higher speed long sweeping right turns. That appears gone now in the limited time driving.

In regards to the install, they said to use 1/2", i think the bottom two being 9/16 would give a little more adjustment. I only opened up one hole, that was the the original lower mount point, it went from 9/16 to 3/8 before i could get the bolt though along with a little persuasion from a floor jack.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
That is good to hear. That occasional shift feels odd when it happens.

jabartram

Reaction score
I added the front and rear bars, my truck is tighter and more responsive all around. Well worth the money, blood, sweat and tears.

Trooper

Reaction score
I added the front and rear bars, my truck is tighter and more responsive all around. Well worth the money, blood, sweat and tears.

yep, I already had the front track bar and sway bar, my front springs should be here in the next month so I can finally swap out the spacer and OEM springs. At that point I think it will be as good as gets, already smoother than my older 2012 1500 quad and far smoother ride on CA freeways than my VW GTI!

jabartram

Reaction score
I have a set of the front overland shocks with boots i need to get rid of.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I very seldom feel the wag, but it caught me off-guard the first time. I thought I had something a little loose. Nothing crazy but it kinda bugs me a bit. I will have to see if I get used to it. I have the Carli drop bracket for the rear trackbar now.

Trooper

Reaction score
I have a set of the front overland shocks with boots i need to get rid of.
My shocks are the Fox 2.5 https://www.ridefox.com/product.php...make=Ram&model=2500+&year=2019&position=Front, I have the road adjustment figured out and now working on the trail adjustment .
I also used the Fox front stabilizer which may be over kill for my use , but planned for what I may go back to do https://www.ridefox.com/product.php...Ram&model=2500+&year=2019&position=Stabilizer

Trooper

Reaction score
I very seldom feel the wag, but it caught me off-guard the first time. I thought I had something a little loose. Nothing crazy but it kinda bugs me a bit. I will have to see if I get used to it. I have the Carli drop bracket for the rear trackbar now.
exactly the reason I installed this, it was a random feeling unexpected, only happens at higher speeds but I still want to feel where all of me is as I drive as I am no drifter! how is the Carli drop bracket?

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
exactly the reason I installed this, it was a random feeling unexpected, only happens at higher speeds but I still want to feel where all of me is as I drive as I am no drifter! how is the Carli drop bracket?

I never drove the truck lifted without the bracket. I think the drop bracket must work well as I don't feel the wag very often. I hear if you don't drop the TB you will feel it a lot more. The Thuren rear track bar has been on my radar back before I even purchased the Carli Suspension. The wag was a concern when I was debating the 2500 vs 3500 . I am happy now but chasing that one little improvement LOL

el_barto

Reaction score
I have read good things about this product but have questions:
I have a 2019 Power Wagon, stock suspension, 35” tires.
1) It sounds like this product fixes bad suspension geometry from the factory design? Is that accurate? Or is this product really just designed for lifted trucks?
2) Will this product make an appreciable difference on my truck, or is it more applicable to trucks with aftermarket lifts?
3) Will this product negatively affect performance offroad?
4) Is the “wag” people are describing when you hit a bump/expansion gap on the highway and the whole truck does some weird, uncomfortable shimmy?

jabartram

Reaction score
my truck is a 2020 with stock rear suspension thuren 1.5 front springs and 35" tires my truck is more stable and smoother.

There is a video on youtube that shows how the thuren rear track bar keeps the axle centered during articulation compared to the stock track bar, its worth the investment.

Users who are viewing this thread