Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Other Vehicle

2001WS6

Reaction score
Replaced seals and changed shim stacks on Fox coilovers this past weekend. My supervisor kept his eye on me to do it right. Seems intimidating at first but actually a pretty fun and relaxing process.

View attachment 61408View attachment 61409

View attachment 61410

Haha. your dogs face reminds me of this....

tHMwnP4.jpg

Grey

Reaction score
Had a rare dry day at adventure offroad park in TN. Got some good crawling in but the Toyota is still having EFI issues. I’m one of the rare people who can say my Jeep is more reliable than my Toyota.

Pics never do the terrain justice but the Toyota is on 40s for perspective

View attachment 63812View attachment 63813View attachment 63814
You have seriously cut down the weight. Any idea what the weight is? Looks like it would climb straight up a tree.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
You have seriously cut down the weight. Any idea what the weight is? Looks like it would climb straight up a tree.
Haven’t weighed it but I will soon we’re going to borrow some scales. My guess is 3700.
Crawls pretty good at 224:1 which is handy because it wouldn’t come up off of idle yesterday. something wrong with it.

Grey

Reaction score
Haven’t weighed it but I will soon we’re going to borrow some scales. My guess is 3700.
Crawls pretty good at 224:1 which is handy because it wouldn’t come up off of idle yesterday. something wrong with it.
Ut oh, It use to be so much easier when there was a simple cable that ran to the carb. Push peddle carb opened.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Ut oh, It use to be so much easier when there was a simple cable that ran to the carb. Push peddle carb opened.
Yea carbs are simple and simple is good usually. but the problem with carburetors on rock crawlers is carburetors rely on gravity. As such, they don’t run well at steep angles either nose up or on its side.

My last Toyota was carbureted and you can lower the floats and a few other things to help it run a little more reliably on angles but ultimately they will die off at angles and usually at the worst possible time.

This one has been dead nuts reliable for many years but a small electrical fire and some other fuel system issues has led to me chasing problems, thinking I got them sorted and taking it back out to find more problems. Once it gets sorted back out it’ll be good again.

Last edited:

Grey

Reaction score
Yea carbs are simple and simple is good usually. but the problem with carburetors on rock crawlers is carburetors rely on gravity. As such, they don’t run well at steep angles either nose up or on its side.

My last Toyota was carbureted and you can lower the floats and a few other things to help it run a little more reliably on angles but ultimately they will die off at angles and usually at the worst possible time.

This one has been dead nuts reliable for many years but a small electrical fire and some other fuel system issues has led to me chasing problems, thinking I got them sorted and taking it back out to find more problems. Once it gets sorted back out it’ll be good again.
Here in IL the only rocks one runs over are the broken up pieces of road. Just for fun the state leaves a few pot holes that can swallow a small chevy. I own an industrial complex with lots of gravel parking areas and roads. Which are often smother than the roads around. Sad but true. Hence my order for a new Power Wagon. I'm not sure why, but with out fail each and every year some newbie will feel compelled to take an indoor forklift outside in snow, solid 15,000/20,000 lbs Yep, usually after shaking my head for a few watching half dozen guys trying to push and rock a stuck forklift. Jumping up down on forks, climbing the counterweights. Like a bunch of monkeys chasing a greased pig. I'll take mercy and go pull them out. Then give them the smuck award.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Sounds like a great little vehicle. I had an '06 Liberty diesel, kind of felt about that the way you feel about your Renegade. So versatile, could tow very well, great in snow, comfortable on any roads, high 20's mpg on the highway. I like cars that can do a lot of different things well.

We now have 4 Subaru's in my family, more like 7 if you include my siblings and neices/nephews. Great cars in many ways. Like you, I don't particularly enjoy the cvt experience but for the people that drive them it's been fine. Terrific in snow, decent mpg and comfort, very practical. But if it was me, I'd rather have your Renegade!
I do have one regret and that is not buying the 2004 Turbo Forester. I didn't have as much money back then was towing a small pop up camper and had a choice between a standard NA Forester and the Turbo five speed. 04 was the ONLY year they used a detuned STi engine in them. 05 forward, they uptuned the regular engine for the Turbo's. So the 04's were over engineered fast little beasts with basically a racing engine. But still being poor, the extra 15 to 20 bucks a month payment and I went with the NA. It was a great car, but I'd probably still have the Turbo as they are rare gems.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
This weekend I finally stretched the metalcloak fenders and cut out the armor to match the wheelbase stretch on the YJ.

This involved stretching the bolt on flare 3”, cutting out the armor and tub, drilling a 1” hole and welding in a new ball socket for the flare attachment point. Also cutting off the old backing plate and welding on a new backing plate.

Metalcloak was super helpful and sold me the bits I needed and gave me the specs on the wall thickness etc to make my project go smoothly.

Sorry the pics bounce from left side to right side but you get the idea.

72019660392__97DFD5BB-660C-4994-98BE-E45733D4F20D.jpeg72028623875__CD97A213-4D2A-496F-B195-AF10D4250040.jpegIMG_3960.jpegIMG_3986.jpeg72022813131__C87F5F68-434A-4A60-B2C9-EB98ADF92F85.jpegIMG_3984.jpeg

Grey

Reaction score
This weekend I finally stretched the metalcloak fenders and cut out the armor to match the wheelbase stretch on the YJ.

This involved stretching the bolt on flare 3”, cutting out the armor and tub, drilling a 1” hole and welding in a new ball socket for the flare attachment point. Also cutting off the old backing plate and welding on a new backing plate.

Metalcloak was super helpful and sold me the bits I needed and gave me the specs on the wall thickness etc to make my project go smoothly.

Sorry the pics bounce from left side to right side but you get the idea.

View attachment 64642View attachment 64643View attachment 64644View attachment 64645View attachment 64646View attachment 64647
Looks good, you have been busy

Users who are viewing this thread