Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Other Vehicle

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
YJ fan too. Best old school dash as well.
I agree they have the best dash.

Speaking of dash I just got the GPS calibrated in my YJ. Now the little house lights up when I’m close to home (;

IMG_5187.jpeg

Also, green is a great color for a YJ. Mine was the dark green color in a past life but currently wearing a TJ color.

IMG_5184.jpeg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Darkside

Reaction score
You almost have to have it on if your on oversized tires and 3.07 gears! 5th is for flat or downhill highway only lol
The 4.6 stroker helps with the oversized tires, but not quite enough, I will be stealing the 3.73 gears out of my wife’s to bring it back to factory overall ratio… My wife’s YJ was a 2.5 automatic from the factory but is a 5 speed now, which would have 4.10 gears in it from the factory.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
0-60 by next week if you’ve got a tailwind?
It’s really not bad at all around town on the roads especially if you’re used to 4cyl Toyotas running 40s. The difference with the Toyota is the crawl box setup makes it much lower gear off-road (~5x more low range)

These axles (and the 37s) came out of an old xj so they were already set up. If I geared them from scratch I would’ve installed 5.13s or built different axles with 5.38s but the “free” 4.88s and 37s are good enough for putzing around and the speedo is only off by 7%. Not sure what tooth gear equivalent because I’m running a jk style tone ring type speedo in a late np231 with true neutral behind an ax15

jsalbre

Reaction score
It’s really not bad at all around town on the roads especially if you’re used to 4cyl Toyotas running 40s. The difference with the Toyota is the crawl box setup makes it much lower gear off-road (~5x more low range)

These axles (and the 37s) came out of an old xj so they were already set up. If I geared them from scratch I would’ve installed 5.13s or built different axles with 5.38s but the “free” 4.88s and 37s are good enough for putzing around and the speedo is only off by 7%. Not sure what tooth gear equivalent because I’m running a jk style tone ring type speedo in a late np231 with true neutral behind an ax15
That’s quite a mutt of a setup you’re running, but sounds like good component choices. I’d imagine in Low Low 1st you can get out and spot yourself it’s moving so slow.

Dave01

Reaction score

Top speed is ???

In high school (late 1970's) I drove a '57 Willy's with 3 speed. I had so much fun in that Jeep, had a plow on it. Only problem was if it had to go somewhere on the highway, you could push it to maybe 55 mph. And I don't know what the HP rating of the little 4 cylinder was, I would think under 100, but with the gearing it was more than powerful enough around town and in snow and dirt roads.

Users who are viewing this thread