Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking care of your truck - Heavy Winter Considerations

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So you have to use a winter cover, what temps are you seeing, and i thought the shutter system blocked the air flow if not what is its purpose, just curious if you want to answer , I,m on Van Island don,t usually see much below 0
You don't need it there but i see -45 sometimes -50°C The shutters redirect airflow for fuel millage thats it the winter front covers more

faller

Reaction score
So you have to use a winter cover, what temps are you seeing, and i thought the shutter system blocked the air flow if not what is its purpose, just curious if you want to answer , I,m on Van Island don,t usually see much below 0
i have been using my winter cover even when temp. is above 0. truck warms up quicker runs a bit hotter. Seems to help with less frequent regens since i have been using it. I also live on Vancouver Island.

Wilder

Reaction score
Maine here: don't even own a winter cover and the truck has seen temps down to -25F. Not sure what bad effects I am causing, but I haven't seen any symptoms yet. Also haven't ever put any additives into the fuel tank, just diesel. I think it's all winterized around here.

When I have driven to the south, on the way back i try to top off the tank in NH or Maine before i get home to make sure i have a good mix of kerosene in the tank, not sure how far south winterized fuel goes.

flan

Reaction score
Maine here: don't even own a winter cover and the truck has seen temps down to -25F. Not sure what bad effects I am causing, but I haven't seen any symptoms yet. Also haven't ever put any additives into the fuel tank, just diesel. I think it's all winterized around here.

When I have driven to the south, on the way back i try to top off the tank in NH or Maine before i get home to make sure i have a good mix of kerosene in the tank, not sure how far south winterized fuel goes.
Kerosene?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Kerosene?

While Kerosene and #1 Diesel don’t have identical standards the term is often used interchangeably. You could have fuel that meets both specs.

flan

Reaction score
Ok I always figured they bulk mix a commercial anti gel in. I never really looked into what makes winter diesel.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok I always figured they bulk mix a commercial anti gel in. I never really looked into what makes winter diesel.
Its basically furnace oil by the peak of winter lol

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

It really depends on where you are and how cold it gets. I’ve seen it blended #1/2, straight #1, and treated.

Wilder

Reaction score
It's been my understanding that when we but "#2" diesel in the winter around here it is basically 50% #2 diesel, 50% kerosene.

In the winter, fuel prices go up and fuel economy goes down.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It's been my understanding that when we but "#2" diesel in the winter around here it is basically 50% #2 diesel, 50% kerosene.

In the winter, fuel prices go up and fuel economy goes down.

#1 does have lower BTU’s, so that has an impact on fuel economy but so does colder gear lube in axles and the transmission/transfercase, as well as colder tires and cold air has more resistance. It adds up and gives us decreased fuel economy.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
#1 does have lower BTU’s, so that has an impact on fuel economy but so does colder gear lube in axles and the transmission/transfercase, as well as colder tires and cold air has more resistance. It adds up and gives us decreased fuel economy.
Hey don't be dissin cold dense air, it's good for the turbski(s).

My chipped A6 is :D:D:D when it's cold outside baby.

Users who are viewing this thread