Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking care of your truck - Heavy Winter Considerations

hdas

Reaction score
Hi All,
I live up high 8000ft in Colorado. I just got a new 3500 Laramie SRW, will turn it into a Prospector (not XL) and add a camper. There's no way I can fit the truck in my garage once I have to install the spare in the back, and height could be an issue as well. The truck is likely staying outside during winter. The care with the block engine heater. Here're some questions:

1. Are there any measures I can take in order to minimize the effects of winter if any?
2. Should I get the front grill winter cover by MOPAR. How to use?

Thanks a lot. H

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yes the winter front is a must. Other than that you are good to go

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you want to use a winter front.

The block heater can be set on a outdoor 15A timer for 90 minutes before you want to leave, as that gets you 90% of the heat of overnight use.

I spray my undercarriage with Amsoil HD MP and the wheel wells with Amsoil Mudslinger each September for winter protection.

I'd also swap out your oil for 5w-40 before it gets too cold, but after you get some miles on it.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
A 120 volt stick on (glue) heater on the oil pan and transmission pan is a good idea.

I glued them on with red high temperature when I was back home in MT and lived in AK.

However, nowadays cold is never hardly in the low teens. ;)

Last edited:

hdas

Reaction score

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you install this and don't remove it the whole winter?

It depends on the temps and if you're towing or not. Usually mine will stay on all winter once I'm done towing for the season (around mid Nov), aside from washing the rig.

Im assuming this is the same "underbody and cavity protection" Mr @DrTron alluded to. Right?

It's a variation of that, yes. Many different ways to skin that cat.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
what does this entail?, if you could elaborate...

Im assuming this is the same "underbody and cavity protection" Mr @DrTron alluded to. Right?
Yes i keep the winter front on all winter towing or not i just open the flaps accordingly. Mine will be going on in the next couple of days actually as we have had some snow already

Wanderlust073

Reaction score

Nothing you need to worry about in Colorado since they don't salt here and just use that ineffective mag-chlor spray which tends to wash off before it does any good anyway.

I spray the underside of my truck off every couple weeks. None of our vehicles have ever shown a single speck of rust or started looking like they have leprosy like they do in the northeast, ever.

phatboy64

Reaction score
Yes the winter front is a must. Other than that you are good thave two never used ones for a 2014 3500 Longhorn. If it will fit the OP

phatboy64

Reaction score

Not sure what happened with my last reply but I have two never used still in the package front covers for a 2014 3500 Longhorn. If it fits you are welcome to one of them…

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
That's quite generous, let me find out if it fits. Thanks a lot.

The winter fronts for my 2018 and 2022 are quite different, so I doubt it works.

tchur1

Reaction score
Great to know!. I need to inquire about Utah, NM and Arizona

That's quite generous, let me find out if it fits. Thanks a lot.
I believe they use salt in UT

jsalbre

Reaction score
Everyone is talking about the winter front, but I don't see anything indicating which engine you have. If it's the Cummins, then yes you want the winter front. If it's the Hemi then you don't need (and shouldn't use) that.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I only live at 6K but have never needed the winter front cover.

Mine gets plugged into an outdoor z-wave smart plug and is automated to turn on and off based on temp.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Where are you living? (front range area or actually up in the mountains where it stays cold?) I lived at 7200 ft when I was out there and didn't do anything but it's really going to depend on your location and what the temps sit at all winter.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Vail area

Yes Cummins

Meaning, you are plugin the engine block heater to the z-wave smart plug?

Yes.

My home automation (HA) runs using a Hubitat hub integrated with multiple z-wave and zigbee devices (there are only a few WiFi HA devices) wiht some Lutron stuff sprinkled in.

if you're not familiar, z-wave and zigbee are RF bands that require a supporting HA hub. Most people just use a few WiFi devices but having over 70 devices would kill my WiFi and isn't a good solution for that kind of install.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I only live at 6K but have never needed the winter front cover.

Even well below zero I haven't needed it either, but it does make a nice difference. The difference isn't as noticeable as it was on the 05 without an EGR, but it's still noticeable and worth the time to install each winter.

Users who are viewing this thread