Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate gap filler?

Alligator John

Reaction score
Anyone install a tailgate gap filler or gap cover between your tailgate and bed? What one did you use? Did it hold up or any other issues with it? Work with a spray in bedliner? TIA for any input.

flan

Reaction score
Havent seen mention of any. I didn’t know they existed. Seems like a good idea to keep rocks out of the drain holes in the tailgate. Let me know what you find.

Alligator John

Reaction score
There is ESI Rock Block, Gapshield, Ecoological, Rockinator, and some others. I have not seen one in use or heard anything about them either to know if any one of them hold up better than the other or if there are any tailgate closing problems after installing them. Or if they are just a gimmick. I have my retrax cover sealing fairly well, so that big gap at the bottom of the tailgate would be the weak link now. Like driving down a dry caliche road. It is still going to let a lot of dust get in there.

popeye2002

Reaction score
@Alligator John , I'm interested in what you find out. I just spent half an hour last night searching for a fastener that fell in the crack and was lodged in the wiring below. It would be nice to help fight stupid things like that from happening. my primary issue is hauling firewood and sweeping out the leftover bark always falls through and gets jammed up in the tailgate.

sanda

Reaction score
If I'm going to haul rock or dirt I put foam noodles in. Works well.

Darkside

Reaction score
This is what I bought, the adhesive tape is coming off in a couple spots, but that could be because I may not have cleaned my spray in bed liner good enough, I think it would probably work better without the bed liner.IMG_2982.png

44Dan44

Reaction score
I really like ecoological's take because it attaches on one side only so if you needed to remove your tailgate you can. I bought the Aerobox from them and will grab the Gapshield later.

Alligator John

Reaction score
I'm considering that one too. I watched people's youtube installation videos of ones that stick on both sides and could see places where it looked like there would be a small gap or two bunched up on the truck side when the tailgate was closed or that did not fold very uniformly. Surface prep is for sure going to be very important.

popeye2002

Reaction score
I'm considering that one too. I watched people's youtube installation videos of ones that stick on both sides and could see places where it looked like there would be a small gap or two bunched up on the truck side when the tailgate was closed or that did not fold very uniformly. Surface prep is for sure going to be very important.
Good Point, my Bed is still virgin so the prep should be really easy and may involve lots of alcohol ;)

Alligator John

Reaction score
Yea, I am trying to get all the stuff like this done while the truck is new, clean, and easy to work on. And agree on the alcohol ;);)

John Jensen

Reaction score
Anyone install a tailgate gap filler or gap cover between your tailgate and bed? What one did you use? Did it hold up or any other issues with it? Work with a spray in bedliner? TIA for any input.
Yes to all you asked. I have this on my 2020 HO with a Linex spray on liner. It has not come loose and performs as advertised.
Tailgate Gap Tape Price has gone up considerably since I bought mine. Looks to be the same as Darkside's #6 post

Alligator John

Reaction score
Yes to all you asked. I have this on my 2020 HO with a Linex spray on liner. It has not come loose and performs as advertised.
Tailgate Gap Tape Price has gone up considerably since I bought mine. Looks to be the same as Darkside's #6 post
Thank you. Rok Block is the other one of two that I have narrowed down to. Did you use the 4.25" or 7" one?

werard

Reaction score
Are you able to remove the tailgate and reuse the Rok Blok, or would you need to purchase another one or tape to re use?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Are you able to remove the tailgate and reuse the Rok Blok, or would you need to purchase another one or tape to re use?
I don't know, I never remove my tailgate. You could easily remove the Rok Blok and reinstall it. You might have to use new stick-down tape, easily purchased.

Alligator John

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. After fretting between using the Rok Block and Gapshield, I ended up ordering the Rok Block. If it don't work out for some reason or don't hold up, I will replace it with the Gapshield one. I will install it next month and post some pictures then.

popeye2002

Reaction score
I'll take your suggestion and just put the Gapshield on order. Thanks @44Dan44 :)
FYI, Install of the Gapshield was very easy and looks very solid. I would like to have had a little more of the 3m adhesive promoter stuff as my bed has the Mopar spray in bed liner. We will see how well is holds up but for now I'm impressed with how rugged and solid it seems to be.

Alligator John

Reaction score
I got the Rok Block in. The width is perfect as it lines up on two straight edges. Came with an adhesive promoter pen, so there was plenty. Tailgate is more firm to close, but not bad and still opens with the fob. I will never need to remove the tailgate so I think this was the better one for my needs.

20230825_185803.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread