Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T6 10w-30

BSAWS6

Reaction score
When I bought the truck I received 3 diesel oil services. Never thought I would use them but want to give it a shot for maintenance hx with all the problems with these trucks popping up especially with the 22's. Also I've noticed if truck is not plugged in over night in the 30'sF or colder I get what seems to be a lifter tick for a few seconds. I wish I had a video but it's starting to warm up here. Location is ohio. That has me concerned. My question is I called the dealer and asked what weight and brand of oil they use for those services and they said Rotella T6 10w-30. Is that even out yet? If that's what they use I'm fine with but I don't know if it's really what it is. Any one heard that it's released? Truck has 11k on it.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Google it, Rotella T6 10w-30 is prevalent. If I were you I would use 5w-40

jetrinka

Reaction score
Wasn't 10w30 T6 just released? I can't recall seeing it in stores and a quick Google search reveals nothing in stock anywhere either. You can get the T5 which is a synthetic blend.

Splzhaul

Reaction score
I use Delo 5w-40 400XSP which is a full Synthetic. I use it all year round and no problem. Yes it is expensive but so are engines.

jebruns

Reaction score
Google it, Rotella T6 10w-30 is prevalent. If I were you I would use 5w-40
I just google'd it. I can't find anywhere claiming it's in stock. Do you have a link?

But I agree, go with the 5w-40 synthetic.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I just google'd it. I can't find anywhere claiming it's in stock. Do you have a link?

But I agree, go with the 5w-40 synthetic.
I don't as I buy 5w-40 locally. I said prevalent because Google showed it everywhere, but didn't check to see if in stock.

Last edited:

BSAWS6

Reaction score
Yeah I don't see it available that's why I am wondering if that's what they really use. Also I am wondering why you guys are saying 5w-40 but the dealer is using 10w-30. I know the truck takes either.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Yeah I don't see it available that's why I am wondering if that's what they really use. Also I am wondering why you guys are saying 5w-40 but the dealer is using 10w-30. I know the truck takes either.
My Eco requires 5w-40 and that's what I stock up with. It's acceptable for my 2020 6.7 as well, so that's what I use.

jebruns

Reaction score
For the newer Ram diesels, you can use either a full syn 5w-40 or a syn/non-syn 10w-30. The 5-40 just gives you more range. It acts like a 5w oil when the truck is cold, which makes for better protection during that critical warm up phase. And it then acts as a 40w when the engine warms up. Kind of the best of both worlds.

10-30 is going to be a little thicker when cold (especially if it is non-syn) and a little thinner when hot.

5Willy2

Reaction score
Ditto on not finding T6 10w-30 anywhere in California. Shell website states available first quarter in 23 on Amazon....not. Checked all the auto parts store here and none even mention it as available. Since Shell states coming out in first quarter 23. will have to be patient. Used the T6 5-40 full synthetic while I was in cold weather location this winter, would like to stay with the T6

Users who are viewing this thread