Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Synthetic oil, when to switch?

GBB

Reaction score
I used to be an Amsoil dealer in the early '90s. I stopped using Amsoil when I found out they rarely certify their oils. The Manual for the Cummins Ram Engine says to us API CK-4 Certified oil. Amsoil only lists it as compatible but stops short of actually paying for the certification. They do this with a lot of the specifications they list. It's worse than a 3rd world snake oil. Use at your own risk but it does not meet the Spec needed without a certification. The manual shows on page 409 the API symbol that must be affixed on the bottle to be certified. Amsoil complains the cost of running the test is expensive. They do have some oils that are certified but not diesel oil. Since Amsoil has certified oils and this is not I will assume it does not pass the test. Any company selling oil should be able to certify the oil. Your warranty is void by using uncertified oils.
Not true…

GBB

Reaction score

WARRANTY CONCERNS​

If I don’t use an API Licensed Motor Oil, doesn't’t that void my manufacturer’s warranty?

Fortunately, the law does not allow manufacturers to "void your warranty" simply because of the brand of oil you use, the specifications it meets or the miles you drive between oil changes. To be specific, they cannot deny fixing your broken radio, faulty valve or cracked piston because you used an AMSOIL non-API licensed motor oil, or because you've gone more than 3000 miles since your last oil change. Denial of warranty coverage must be specifically due to an oil related failure. All courts of law will rule against any manufacturer or dealership that tries these warranty shenanigans.

If any automobile dealership insinuates that your warranty will be void if you use AMSOIL products or utilize extended drain intervals, let AMSOIL INC. know the name of the Dealership, the address, the owner's name and the name of the employee that made this statement. Mail to:

AMSOIL INC.
Attention: Technical Services Department
AMSOIL Building
Superior, WI 54880
or e-mail to tech@amsoil.com .
They will almost never put it in writing, but if they do, please send us a copy of that, too. Either way, we will send them a letter informing them they must cease the intimidation of our customers.
Only if the oil is determined to be the direct cause of the engine problem can a manufacturer or dealership deny warranty coverage for that specific problem. In this situation the AMSOIL warranty would apply, and the AMSOIL Technical Services Department would assist you in processing your claim and in getting the vehicle repaired. That's our pledge to you!

AMSOIL INC. sells millions of gallons of oil per year and warranty claims are a rare occurrence. If you ever have a warranty problem with an automobile manufacturer or dealership, AMSOIL will assist you by analyzing the problem and providing data supporting the fact that repairs should be made under the vehicle manufacturer's warranty. If this does not resolve the problem, AMSOIL will submit a claim with our insurance company and request that an adjuster have the vehicle repaired and pursue legal settlement later if necessary. The fact is there has never been an engine failure attributed to the non-performance of AMSOIL products, and we do not expect there ever will be. If there ever was, both AMSOIL and our insurance company would make certain your problem was resolved.

1996dram

Reaction score
I used to be an Amsoil dealer in the early '90s. I stopped using Amsoil when I found out they rarely certify their oils. The Manual for the Cummins Ram Engine says to us API CK-4 Certified oil. Amsoil only lists it as compatible but stops short of actually paying for the certification. They do this with a lot of the specifications they list. It's worse than a 3rd world snake oil. Use at your own risk but it does not meet the Spec needed without a certification. The manual shows on page 409 the API symbol that must be affixed on the bottle to be certified. Amsoil complains the cost of running the test is expensive. They do have some oils that are certified but not diesel oil. Since Amsoil has certified oils and this is not I will assume it does not pass the test. Any company selling oil should be able to certify the oil. Your warranty is void by using uncertified oils.
Anyone can be an amsoil dealer for the very low cost of $49,95 a year...that hardly qualifies you as an expert!..... The cost of an API test is outrageous... And only means that it meets the minimum standards..... I've never understood the Amsoil Haters!... WHY do you care so much? Some 30 plus years ago I was sitting on the fence about amsoil... Then a guy at work show me a high mileage amsoil motor he was rebuilding.. with some performance parts.. I couldn't believe how clean and new it looked.... I've got 300k hard heavy pulling mile on my '96 cummins that says you are wrong....

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Anyone can be an amsoil dealer for the very low cost of $49,95 a year...that hardly qualifies you as an expert!..... The cost of an API test is outrageous... And only means that it meets the minimum standards..... I've never understood the Amsoil Haters!... WHY do you care so much? Some 30 plus years ago I was sitting on the fence about amsoil... Then a guy at work show me a high mileage amsoil motor he was rebuilding.. with some performance parts.. I couldn't believe how clean and new it looked.... I've got 300k hard heavy pulling mile on my '96 cummins that says you are wrong....
My friend has 1.8 million KM on his 96 cummins he uses to pick up trailers in texas only ever used shell and and engine looked great inside when we changed a bunch of seals on it… AMSoil is good stuff but its not worth the cost when shell is just awesome stuff for alot cheaper

renagade69

Reaction score
"I was a dealer" does not qualify me as an expert. I never said I was. You don't have to be an expert to know the oil doesn't meet the certified spec. There is no claim of certification on the Amsoil site. The MFG requires certified oil. You can bet if the motor blows and you are using non-certified oil you can not prove it wasn't the cause and they have a valid reason to say it is the cause. You will spend 20k plus fighting it in federal court . You hear people rant that they have to prove it but the fact remains in litigation deep pockets usually stuff out the little guy. If the oil did meet spec you can bet they would have it certified. Use it if you want but the Rotella is certified . Amsoil is uncertified guess oil. The Amsoil crowd can't dispute the facts. I don't care if some guy got a lot of miles out of it. Not worth the risk.

Nick

Reaction score
I don't think any major oil company has a secret additive that is any better than another . They spend fortunes on research and durability tests in extremes that the average user will never experience . It is all about marketing . Just like trucks !

1996dram

Reaction score
I don't think any major oil company has a secret additive that is any better than another . They spend fortunes on research and durability tests in extremes that the average user will never experience . It is all about marketing . Just like trucks !
Amsiol base stock a synthesized ester Group IV POA.. similar to the base stock of jet engine oil.... and that nasty stuff known as Skydrol.... Made for extreme temperature use and quite honestly overkill.....

1996dram

Reaction score
So is it snake oil or not?..... when was the last time you heard of a Cummins internal failure still under warranty? .... It's easy to confuse what you believe to be true with what can be proven to be true.... "Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies"

renagade69

Reaction score
You can have the best base stock dream oil but without it being able to handle soot load along with the milage requirement of the spec it's useless. There is a good reason why they require a spec for an engine. There is also good reason Amsoil is not certified. They have some oils that are certified for other purposes so they do get them tested. They will never show a negative test but I will bet their diesel oil failed. This is why I quit selling the stuff a loooong time ago. What good is oil that requires faith in the product to use it. Without test verification on a spec never believe their word. You spent a lot of money on your rig. Use certified oils. There are lots of them out there. Amsoil is snake oil by definition and they can not prove otherwise. Sometimes you hear internet guys state the tests are 600k and too much money. That's just an excuse.

1996dram

Reaction score
Well written... great buzz words.. "snake oil".." Dream Oil" Any proof that Amsoil can't handle soot? Amsoil has been around a long time with many happy customers... Your friend with 1.6 million miles on his 2nd Gen,,,, is well known to us old timers.... as is his engine history, rebuild then a crate motor from Cummins... Mr. "A" has a quick wit and sharp tongue as you do... but deals in facts... You have presented nothing but arrogance BS and bravado, which is the anesthesia for the uninformed and the misinformed..... But I'm just an old broken down grease monkey with no time for word smiths .... Please don't turn this forum into another TDR...... You Win.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I will continue to use oil with the required certifications. Been using the recommended spec Rotella for 24 years and no issues. Can't get better than that. Rotella 15W40 for 23 years and now 5W40 synthetic.

1996dram

Reaction score
I will continue to use oil with the required certifications. Been using the recommended spec Rotella for 24 years and no issues. Can't get better than that. Rotella 15W40 for 23 years and now 5W40 synthetic.
Thanks for the input....I'm considering it myself now that they make a full synthetic.... it's easier to find on my long haul trips..... Back in '96 options for full synthetic were amsoil &Redline... my issue has never been with anyone choice of oil, just making wild accusations with no real data to support them.....and it's so easy to do a little research....For example there are many cases of 2nd Gen. trucks getting 600,000 miles before tear down with the old Shell Rotella.... therefore in conclusion it's good stuff! And the new T6 should be even better

Users who are viewing this thread