Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Synthetic oil, when to switch?

wolfpack

Reaction score
I am coming up on 1k miles of wear-in on my 6.7L HO. Zero towing miles yet and mostly stop-and-go diving. Would it be ok at that point to drain out the factory oil and swap to synthetic? I opted for AMSOil signature series 10W-30 and the Fleetguard Stratapore filter.
Just a question of when to make the change.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I am coming up on 1k miles of wear-in on my 6.7L HO. Zero towing miles yet and mostly stop-and-go diving. Would it be ok at that point to drain out the factory oil and swap to synthetic? I opted for AMSOil signature series 10W-30 and the Fleetguard Stratapore filter.
Just a question of when to make the change.
It already has synthetic in it from the factory and the engines and they come from cummins pre broken in…. Change it when it asks to be changed thats around 15k miles roughly

wolfpack

Reaction score
Ok, I guess I should’ve asked at what point is it OK to switch to a BETTER synthetic oil? Maybe the factory put in a synthetic but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t AMSOil.

I think I’ll just go with the 1k mark and get the better oil and filter on it. I don’t trust manufacturers to do the right thing. Their motivation is to have the thing last just past the warranty date and that’s it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok, I guess I should’ve asked at what point is it OK to switch to a BETTER synthetic oil? Maybe the factory put in a synthetic but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t AMSOil.

I think I’ll just go with the 1k mark and get the better oil and filter on it. I don’t trust manufacturers to do the right thing. Their motivation is to have the thing last just past the warranty date and that’s it.
Shell rotella is whats in it waste of money to use amsoil…. And the filter is the same as the fleetgaurd filter just mopars logo on it

GBB

Reaction score
Have always changed oil in new engines around 2000~3000 miles, just old habit from back in the day Of Dino oil and having to break in new engines.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Change it when it asks to be changed thats around 15k miles roughly
Funny - My oil countdown came to 100% at 4500 miles, a bit shy of 15,000.
Why? Because it was 12 mos old.

Went to change it and the factory gorilla had the filter so tight that I couldn't budge it with a 16" filter pliers. So to the dealer I went. My great Service Manager only charged me $20.00 to change using my oil and filter. Heck, for $20.00 he will be doing it instead of me. Plus, the benefit of dealer inspection, tire pressure check and a service record.

By the way, I don't think Amsoil is any better than any of the quality synthetics.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Went to change it and the factory gorilla had the filter so tight that I couldn't budge it with a 16" filter pliers. So to the dealer I went. My great Service Manager only charged me $20.00 to change using my oil and filter. Heck, for $20.00 he will be doing it instead of me. Plus, the benefit of dealer inspection, tire pressure check and a service record.

By the way, I don't think Amsoil is any better than any of the quality synthetics.
Depends on your millage of course i tend to forget some others don't put the millage on like i do, i have had my truck for 13 months and have 19500miles on it

John Jensen

Reaction score
Depends on your millage of course i tend to forget some others don't put the millage on like i do, i have had my truck for 13 months and have 19500miles on it
Yeah, all my HDs are low mileage. I only use the 3500 for towing my travel trailer and an empty trip from San Diego to eastern Oregon once a year. My daily driver is my 2016 Ecodiesel, however, that only has 22000 miles on it. Every time I go to sell a truck I have a long line of takers, never had to advertise one for sale. The last one I sold last year was a 2006 Ford F350, bulletproofed 6.0 that had 25500 miles on it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yeah, all my HDs are low mileage. I only use the 3500 for towing my travel trailer and an empty trip from San Diego to eastern Oregon once a year. My daily driver is my 2016 Ecodiesel, however, that only has 22000 miles on it. Every time I go to sell a truck I have a long line of takers, never had to advertise one for sale. The last one I sold last year was a 2006 Ford F350, bulletproofed 6.0 that had 25500 miles on it.
I almost never sell a vehicle with it having less than 190,000 miles i put lots of millage on lol

MegaDave

Reaction score
I changed mine right at 1,000 to Amsoil. Yes I’m one of the funny Amsoil guys. There is research that shows Amsoil as a top synthetic. The cost is around the same as others, sometimes less. I like the idea of a company just focused on providing the best oil and running tests to back it up. Any oil reccomended will work but I do feel based on what I’ve read Amsoil offers better protection that stock oils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetlag

Reaction score

Hey John,
Remember you from the eco diesel site a while ago. Sold mine and went to a 1500 gasser, what a mistake! New here with a new Laramie 3500 CC long bed

John Jensen

Reaction score
Hey John,
Remember you from the eco diesel site a while ago. Sold mine and went to a 1500 gasser, what a mistake! New here with a new Laramie 3500 CC long bed
Hi Jet,
Thanks for the shout. As you can see I still have my Eco, it's my daily driver. Use the 3500 for towing and touring, just love it

MrTaz

Reaction score
I changed mine right at 1,000 to Amsoil. Yes I’m one of the funny Amsoil guys. There is research that shows Amsoil as a top synthetic. The cost is around the same as others, sometimes less. I like the idea of a company just focused on providing the best oil and running tests to back it up. Any oil reccomended will work but I do feel based on what I’ve read Amsoil offers better protection that stock oils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny thing about favorite oils. I feel the same way about Mobil's Delvac 1 from my days of owning Class 8 diesel trucks . I have been using it for years. And now that Tractor Supply carries it, it makes it easier to get.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Funny thing about favorite oils. I feel the same way about Mobil's Delvac 1 from my days of owning Class 8 diesel trucks . I have been using it for years. And now that Tractor Supply carries it, it makes it easier to get.
No question about it - Delvac 1 ESP is an outstanding oil. I use it and Rotella T6

renagade69

Reaction score
I used to be an Amsoil dealer in the early '90s. I stopped using Amsoil when I found out they rarely certify their oils. The Manual for the Cummins Ram Engine says to us API CK-4 Certified oil. Amsoil only lists it as compatible but stops short of actually paying for the certification. They do this with a lot of the specifications they list. It's worse than a 3rd world snake oil. Use at your own risk but it does not meet the Spec needed without a certification. The manual shows on page 409 the API symbol that must be affixed on the bottle to be certified. Amsoil complains the cost of running the test is expensive. They do have some oils that are certified but not diesel oil. Since Amsoil has certified oils and this is not I will assume it does not pass the test. Any company selling oil should be able to certify the oil. Your warranty is void by using uncertified oils.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread