Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspension "Clunk" when turning right 2021 ram 2500 500 miles.

kristof

Reaction score
I have that issue in the front. When I drive off my driveway over the curb making left turn once the wheel drops I can hear a loud clunk noise coming from that side of wheel

mcarey

Reaction score
Worth also pointing out, as I had a second thunk appear (that wasn't another bottle of rouge tequilla), mine ended up being my handheld HAM radio in the upper glove box. It's a pretty hollow compartment, so the radio was making a pretty loud knock noise that sounded like it was coming from the passenger footwell area, when I'd hit bumps, road dips, etc.

Last edited:

vdubbub86

Reaction score
Yo!!! I was about to take my truck to get this exact issue looked at. My '21 RAM 2500 HD makes a clunk with a rubber squeak noise when I make a right hand turn. I was thinking it might be the coil spring rubber mounts, but now that I've read through all these other comments I know everything else I need to check.

Lift89

Reaction score
I tightened my front body mounts pretty tight and so far the clunk has gone away for me. Either that or I have hit bumps at the right angle. I have a 2020 2500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waveslayer

Reaction score
Could be the front sway bar links, Cheviot those for being loose or the rubber bushings being bad

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

madmat

Reaction score
Could be the front sway bar links, Cheviot those for being loose or the rubber bushings being bad

My truck has had the clunking since new and the last time i had it at the dealer they disconnected my links and road tested it and said the clunking was gone. So they decided to put new links in my truck just to see what happens. But unfortunately i still have the clunking.

waveslayer

Reaction score
My truck has had the clunking since new and the last time i had it at the dealer they disconnected my links and road tested it and said the clunking was gone. So they decided to put new links in my truck just to see what happens. But unfortunately i still have the clunking.
Have you disconnected the links and tested it? I would try that. It should be a single bolt for each side

madmat

Reaction score
Have you disconnected the links and tested it? I would try that. It should be a single bolt for each side

I haven't tried it for myself yet and the dealer didnt retest it after they swapped out the links but i should. Then i know if the sway bar is the actual cause or not.

GB1911

Reaction score
Found this older post because I'm having the same problem with my new 23 tradesman. It just started today, when I'm taking a right had turn at low speed I hear a clunk noise coming from what sounds like the front passenger wheel. It's not a consistent noise, its intermittent but defiantly a sort of loud audible clunk almost like a knock. Can't really find any thing that looks broke from a visual inspection. Not sure if anyone has had luck with the dealer fixing the problem.

1zombierider

Reaction score
So my 2021 2500 does the same thing. It’s definitely something in rotation because of the frequency and way it changes with speed. And it’s mainly right hand turns. However, I’ve noticed a very similar sound coming from what appears to be a relay inside the abs when I turn the truck off. Have you noticed that click? Is it similar to what you’re hearing? Drive the truck 10-15 minutes to get it warm. Shut it off and immediately get out and listen in the front driver side wheel well. With that being said. I can’t figure out what’s doing it exactly while I’m driving it...hope this helps. please keep us updated on what you find out.
That “click” you’re talking about is the DEF pump pushing unused DEF back into its reservoir. At least that’s what I was told when I checked on that. At least it’s normal and to be expected. I’ve only had my 2500 for 2 months, it’s a 2021 with less than 20k on it and I’d been babying her when driving. Made a hard right then and discovered that “clunk” grind under the drivers side. Made an equally hard left and heard it “right” itself on the pass side. Nothing rolling around inside the truck. It’s going to the dealer soon to get checked out. I’ll reach back if I learn anything worth sharing.

Woosatch

Reaction score
Found this older post because I'm having the same problem with my new 23 tradesman. It just started today, when I'm taking a right had turn at low speed I hear a clunk noise coming from what sounds like the front passenger wheel. It's not a consistent noise, its intermittent but defiantly a sort of loud audible clunk almost like a knock. Can't really find any thing that looks broke from a visual inspection. Not sure if anyone has had luck with the dealer fixing the problem.
Had this exact noise myself and it ended up being the body mount. The way I found it was the bolt that holds the assembly together was off center about 1/2" and the others were centered.. Replaced it and no more random clunking noise.
Part # (68505696AA)

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Had this exact noise myself and it ended up being the body mount. The way I found it was the bolt that holds the assembly together was off center about 1/2" and the others were centered.. Replaced it and no more random clunking noise.
Part # (68505696AA)
How hard was it to replace this body mount?

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Part # (68505696AA)
How the heck does a body mount fail? Lemme guess…plastic.

Woosatch

Reaction score
How hard was it to replace this body mount?
I had to loosen all 4 body mount bolts on the opposite side and remove all 4 on the same side….pray that your bolts aren’t rusty like mine because that was by far the biggest PITA. After that I placed 2 jacks on the body and picked it up about 3”. Wasn’t extremely difficult but took me about 4 hours start to finish. Without rusty bolts, 2 hours tops

Woosatch

Reaction score
How the heck does a body mount fail? Lemme guess…plastic.
After looking at the old one, IMO it’s a terrible design. I believe what they were trying to accomplish was sacrifice durability for ride quality. A small clunk was the tradeoff…. The revised part doesn’t look much different other than the material that sits on the frame itself

Woosatch

Reaction score
This was the cratered passenger front mount. It’s pretty easy to see if the mount is good or bad just by removing the bolt
IMG_2108.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2107.jpeg
    IMG_2107.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread