Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspension "Clunk" when turning right 2021 ram 2500 500 miles.

Cronk

Reaction score
I figured id post this here due to how many people have had this issue on the smaller Ram trucks. Maybe more have had this issue who knows.

So, long story short, 500 miles 2021 Ram 2500 HD. When I make a right turn and slow speed, parking lots, steer turns etc. I hear a clunk. I initally thought something was rolling around in the rear seats, but no dice. Just a clunk and slight squeek. Im going to talk to the dealer when I get back and see if they can retorque every thing to see if its just break in noise. But ive seen the horror stories of the under tourqed sway bar links, failed rack and pinions, body mounts moving around. etc.

if any one has any experience or had this happen first hand and has a fix please chime in...

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I figured id post this here due to how many people have had this issue on the smaller Ram trucks. Maybe more have had this issue who knows.

So, long story short, 500 miles 2021 Ram 2500 HD. When I make a right turn and slow speed, parking lots, steer turns etc. I hear a clunk. I initally thought something was rolling around in the rear seats, but no dice. Just a clunk and slight squeek. Im going to talk to the dealer when I get back and see if they can retorque every thing to see if its just break in noise. But ive seen the horror stories of the under tourqed sway bar links, failed rack and pinions, body mounts moving around. etc.

if any one has any experience or had this happen first hand and has a fix please chime in...
You dont have a rack and pinion just fyi its a steering box.....

Cronk

Reaction score
Fair enough, just found a few common issues from all types of these trucks gas and diesel. Hopefully some one can help out

Cronk

Reaction score
Hoping its not a continuation of

TSB # 23-047-18​

which is replacing all the body mounts

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Where is this clunk coming from?

Since you mention the possibility of something loose in the back seat, I assume it is behind you and not in front.

Based on that, I'd suggest inspecting a few things that shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes total.
The jack and all attachments underneath the passenger seat
The hitch sleeve that may be under your rear seat, in one of the floor storage bins, or behind your rear seat
The spare tire (have head some posts about it being loose)
The body mounts. A quick torque check is fast and simple.

There are plenty of other suspension components that could be to blame, but require hands-on inspection and troubleshooting, not really something that can be defined in a quick "how-to".

Cronk

Reaction score
Yeah, it's def something actually on the truck apposed to inside. On the way to work today I head alot of squeaks and clunks turning right and driving straight. Most of the squeaks were while hitting bumps and lumps in the road. One I'm home from this trip I def think touring the body mounts is in my future.

THC1

Reaction score
Yeah, it's def something actually on the truck apposed to inside. On the way to work today I head alot of squeaks and clunks turning right and driving straight. Most of the squeaks were while hitting bumps and lumps in the road. One I'm home from this trip I def think touring the body mounts is in my future.
Please keep us posted, I sure want to know what you find out.

Tbruce92

Reaction score

So my 2021 2500 does the same thing. It’s definitely something in rotation because of the frequency and way it changes with speed. And it’s mainly right hand turns. However, I’ve noticed a very similar sound coming from what appears to be a relay inside the abs when I turn the truck off. Have you noticed that click? Is it similar to what you’re hearing? Drive the truck 10-15 minutes to get it warm. Shut it off and immediately get out and listen in the front driver side wheel well. With that being said. I can’t figure out what’s doing it exactly while I’m driving it...hope this helps. please keep us updated on what you find out.

mcarey

Reaction score
I had a similar experience, and it ended up being a missing bottle of tequila behind the back seat, lol.

I'd definitely pull all the **** out from under your seats if you haven't. Mine sounded nothing like something inside the cab.

Reaction score
I had a similar clunk when turning at low speeds. It turned out to be a bad strut that leaked and it damaged my ball joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatdude1

Reaction score
I have a 2021 3500 that had a clunk when turning and going over bumps. I re torqued the body mounts to 90 ft lbs and the noise stopped.

Tbruce92

Reaction score
Yeah mines not a clunk though. Here’s a video of the noise after turning the truck off. And it sounds to me like the same noise turning right... any reason the too would correlate?

nrm257

Reaction score
I have a 2021 3500 that had a clunk when turning and going over bumps. I re torqued the body mounts to 90 ft lbs and the noise stopped.
Do you have a picture of where the body mounts are?

Jose35325

Reaction score
I had a similar issue, ended up being the upper control arm on the rear four link suspension (driver side), was cracked. I later found other post that started they found loose bolts on the rear suspension. Was replaced by dealership under warranty.

madmat

Reaction score
Just want to bump this up as I too have had an issue with a with a clunking noise which seems to be coming from the front right corner and only does it while turning. It has done it since new and i have had it at the dealer a couple times now. After what they thought was a bad front shock and a 4 month wait to get a replacement part it still does the same thing.

Jose35325

Reaction score
Madmat, I know it sounds off but check your rear suspension bolts. All the sounds can from the front (so I thought) but 2000 miles later no more clunks or anything. Hope your issue gets solved.

madmat

Reaction score
Madmat, I know it sounds off but check your rear suspension bolts. All the sounds can from the front (so I thought) but 2000 miles later no more clunks or anything. Hope your issue gets solved.
Ok will do. Thanks

r440

Reaction score
I also have this issue and the dealer cant replicate so nothing is being done :mad:

:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread